Should I throw in the towel?.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CocoBerri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to! lol! :oops:
I plan to apply to multiple schools in various states (both DO and MD)
Please help me determine my chances.
I've always wanted to be a doctor from childhood.
Here are my stats (I just used the AMCAS spreadsheet for GPA #s)

Undergrad major: BS in Nursing/premed.
Nursing GPA: 3.54
Undergrad cGPA: 3.42
sGPA (b/4 nsg deg.): 3.22
Post bac sGPA: 2.5 :( (physics kicked my butt. This includes only phys 1 [C] and gen chem 1 )
I have 20hrs left of my sciences. I'm hoping to get nothing less than B's an all. If I do, that will make my total sGPA: 3.0 and 2.8 for post-bac sGPA.
24 y/o AA woman. I worked full time for the majority of my education.
EXPERIENCE: I have worked in the ER as a RN and now on a med/surg step-down unit. I have also community-based nursing experience. All are full time. I've been a nurse for over a year now.
VOLUNTEER: I'm volunteering free nursing svcs at my church's free clinic and do plan on doing plenty more volunteer work. I'm just starting this. I'm in contact with a missionary right now, so that is in my future volunteer plans. I also have family doing medical mission work in Africa (most are doctors and nurses and will be able to join them if needed)
SHADOWING: none yet. But I have plenty of opportunity if needed.
RESEARCH: I volunteered in a study in a hospital on a critical care unit for about a month or 2.
MCAT: I have not yet taken this. I still have 3 semesters (4 classes total) of premed (postbac) remaining, so I plan on taking the MCAT no later than early next year. With plenty of prep, I'm sure I can score >22. So let's assume I get say....23. :p
Please give me an honest critique/advice. I was also considering going to the Caribbean but I've been warned to stay clear from that path.
Thanks in advance, everyone.
I've been advised by many to go for NP school, but that was never in my plans :(
Do I have a chance at Med school or should I cont. on to NP? I feel like I'd regret it since it was never my dream. :(

ETA:
I was on a med school's website and they recommended "upper level" biology classes. All my college biology classes where: A&P (B in both), pathophysiology (A), pharmacology (A) (taught by the med school dept.) microbiology (B), and biochem (B). Will these particular classes help me (of course with a good MCAT score)? These courses were included in the med school's "upper sciences" list.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're still fine for both MD and DO. Good luck!

QUOTE=CocoBerri;13521666]I don't want to! lol! :oops:

Post bac sGPA: 2.5 :( (physics kicked my butt. This includes only phys 1 [C] and gen chem 1 )
I have 20hrs left of my sciences. I'm hoping to get nothing less than B's an all. If I do, that will make my total sGPA: 3.0 and 2.8 for post-bac sGPA.
EXPERIENCE: I have worked in the ER as a RN and now on a med/surg step-down unit. I have also community-based nursing experience. All are full time. I've been a nurse for over a year now.
VOLUNTEER: I'm volunteering free nursing svcs at my church's free clinic and do plan on doing plenty more volunteer work. I'm just starting this. I'm in contact with a missionary right now, so that is in my future volunteer plans. I also have family doing medical mission work in Africa (most are doctors and nurses and will be able to join them if needed)
RESEARCH: I volunteered in a study in a hospital on a critical care unit for about a month or 2.
MCAT: I have not yet taken this. I still have 3 semesters (4 classes total) of premed (postbac) remaining, so I plan on taking the MCAT no later than early next year. With plenty of prep, I'm sure I can score >22. So let's assume I get say....23. :p
Please give me an honest critique/advice. I was also considering going to the Caribbean but I've been warned to stay clear from that path.
I've been advised by many to go for NP school, but that was never in my plans :(
Do I have a chance at Med school or should I cont. on to NP? I feel like I'd regret it since it was never my dream. :([/QUOTE]

I don't want to! lol! :oops:

Do I have a chance at Med school or should I cont. on to NP? I feel like I'd regret it since it was never my dream. :(

If you get a 23 and are a B student in post bacc you'll struggle to even get into DO schools. The purpose of post bacc is to shine. A string of B's will hurt more than it would in undergrad.. And also a 23 is abysmal.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering in a study isn't what they are looking for.

If you don't want to do NP, don't settle. If your dream and goal is to become a physician you have to do whatever it takes to get there. This means, because of your low GPA, killing the MCAT. DO schools take students with MCATS ranging from 22 onwards. BUT I highly suggest you study your butt off and try and get at least a 28 if not a 30.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I guess I have a tough road ahead and some serious decisions to make,

If you get a 23 and are a B student in post bacc you'll struggle to even get into DO schools. The purpose of post bacc is to shine. A string of B's will hurt more than it would in undergrad.. And also a 23 is abysmal.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I was reading on one university's med school website about a good candidate. They said they look at the full picture, including how rigorous the undergrad degree is, and whether or not you held a job, or even full-time employment. I know if I push myself to the max (that includes going part-time at work, and even giving up night-shift nursing) I could perform much better. I set myself up for failure when I signed up for an early physics course, PLUS I hadn't taken math in a long time. NEVER AGAIN!!

Can you guys suggest what I can do to still stay in the game or even improve my chances? Is the main concern regarding Caribbean schools being able to find residences in the states? With my stats, I'm not too picky in any med school I get into. Would my stats be more suitable for an HBCU? I also don't mind schools or areas that are highly under-served.
I appreciate all of you guys' input. Feel free to give strong critiques if needed. I've got thick skin. I'm also beginning to open my mind to NP school if I must. But I want to know that I tried my very best before I gave up.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I was on a med school's website and they recommended "upper level" biology classes. All my college biology classes where: A&P (B in both), pathophysiology (A), pharmacology (A) (taught by the med school dept.) microbiology (B), and biochem (B). Will these particular classes help me (of course with a good MCAT score)? These courses were included in the med school's "upper sciences" list.
I'll update the OP with this also. Pls give any helpful advice.

THANKS!!

I was reading on one university's med school website about a good candidate. They said they look at the full picture, including how rigorous the undergrad degree is, and whether or not you held a job, or even full-time employment. I know if I push myself to the max (that includes going part-time at work, and even giving up night-shift nursing) I could perform much better. I set myself up for failure when I signed up for an early physics course, PLUS I hadn't taken math in a long time. NEVER AGAIN!!

Can you guys suggest what I can do to still stay in the game or even improve my chances? Is the main concern regarding Caribbean schools being able to find residences in the states? With my stats, I'm not too picky in any med school I get into. Would my stats be more suitable for an HBCU? I also don't mind schools or areas that are highly under-served.
I appreciate all of you guys' input. Feel free to give strong critiques if needed. I've got thick skin. I'm also beginning to open my mind to NP school if I must. But I want to know that I tried my very best before I gave up.
Thanks everyone.

All of the non-GPA/MCAT stuff only matters if they actually look past your GPA/MCAT.

Hi again everyone. So I spent a lot of time thinking about my career goals. I even tried hyping myself about following the NP route. That lasted not too long. -___-
My heart still feels unrest. I decided as I had originally planned to FINISH everything even up to the point of applying then I know I would have exhausted all efforts before giving up. I'm honestly one to not give up early unless the effort seems to be completely futile. That is why I registered here in hopes of getting "expert" advice. Which I do appreciate all the responses I've received so far, whether positive or negative. I decided to take off this semester and possibly use the free time to revisit physics and hopefully master it.
NOW, all that I do have here, can I get sound advice of upping my chances to md or DO school? I realized after lurking in other sections of this board that being an URM also helps your case as an applicant.
Thanks all!!!

Hi again everyone. So I spent a lot of time thinking about my career goals. I even tried hyping myself about following the NP route. That lasted not too long. -___-
My heart still feels unrest. I decided as I had originally planned to FINISH everything even up to the point of applying then I know I would have exhausted all efforts before giving up. I'm honestly one to not give up early unless the effort seems to be completely futile. That is why I registered here in hopes of getting "expert" advice. Which I do appreciate all the responses I've received so far, whether positive or negative. I decided to take off this semester and possibly use the free time to revisit physics and hopefully master it.
NOW, all that I do have here, can I get sound advice of upping my chances to md or DO school? I realized after lurking in other sections of this board that being an URM also helps your case as an applicant.
Thanks all!!!
Your post bac gpa is your biggest stumbling block. All schools want to accept candidates that are likely to succeed (HBCU, MD or DO). You need to show that the past is behind you and that you have acquired the skills necessary for success. Even EC's that rival Mother Theresa won't overcome high risk stats.

I understand, but are B's in chem and physics considered high risk stats? I was planning on NOT getting anything lower than Bs in them.

I understand, but are B's in chem and physics considered high risk stats? I was planning on NOT getting anything lower than Bs in them.

Get straight A in one more semester (12 credits) of upper science classes, then score 26+ mcat and you will be fine. Good luck.

All of the non-GPA/MCAT stuff only matters if they actually look past your GPA/MCAT.

^this. 36 MCAT here, 23 school applications...... 1 interview offer. Thankfully.... also 1 acceptance.

Why? 2.98 UG cGPA, despite a 3.7 junior/senior average and really nice ECs/life experience.

MCAT/GPA are everything, don't let a school sweettalk you into thinking otherwise. They just want your secondary $$$. 99% will not look past your numerical statistics if they are bad.

I don't think you should give up at all, but like me you're going to have to raise the bar as far as your expectations for yourself. All B's are not going to cut it. They may be good enough for another profession but if you want to be a doctor you're going to need to do better, and if you can't, then perhaps it wasn't a good career match for you. I was lucky to pinpoint my strengths relatively early on, so I have a whole arsenal of high "human" science grades (ie anatomy I and II, gross anatomy, neuroanatomy, histology, embryology, physiology etc that add up to about 35 fairly easy high grade credits from "hard" courses). I use these to somewhat offset my more difficult science classes like Chemistry and OChem. I know it doesn't work that way necessarily, but if you find your strengths and take harder science classes in that area it may help your GPA.

^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks, I only have chems and 1 physics left. I'm now planning how to move forward from this point. I'm now planning how I can do better (with mostly A's) on my remaining 4 classes. I'm just worried, not about my potential, but being unfortunate enough to have an instructor that will make class hell. My gen chem 1 class' avg was 62-64%. I got an 86% in the class and my instructor made things ridiculously difficult.

^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks, I only have chems and 1 physics left. I'm now planning how to move forward from this point. I'm now planning how I can do better (with mostly A's) on my remaining 4 classes. I'm just worried, not about my potential, but being unfortunate enough to have an instructor that will make class hell. My gen chem 1 class' avg was 62-64%. I got an 86% in the class and my instructor made things ridiculously difficult.

Difficult professors happen sometimes, the important thing is to work your butt off and get the best grade possible. What everyone is saying about your poor post Bacc grades is true, but given that you have only 3 courses left, you may as well finish them strong, and study ridiculously hard for the MCAT. If you got a 30+ you would get interviews to MD schools being a URM, you should take advantage of that by outperforming the stereotype on the MCAT, no reason why you shouldn't shoot high especially since you're so close.

Thanks all for the advice. I will definitely study my butt off and try to get all A's in my remaining classes. If I show great improvement, I may not even have to retake the physics I that I screwed up on. Also, once I'm done with all the prerequisites, I will enroll in an mcat prep class and plan for the best. I feel better now that I know what could make be a better applicant.
eta: Would it matter if I also take "easy" classes just to help boost my postbac gpa, or are schools basically just looking at premed courses only?

Last edited: