Should I try Podiatry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cacuesta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an Undergrad GPA of 2.96 with a B.S. in Kinesiology. I know this is low, but I have not taken any of the pre-reqs for Podiatry school yet. I am really interested but am afraid I would just be wasting time if i tried. Will I have a chance if I complete the pre-reqs with mostly As?

Thank you for the feed back in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get mostly A's you will fine. You have a long path ahead of you, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an Undergrad GPA of 2.96 with a B.S. in Kinesiology. I know this is low, but I have not taken any of the pre-reqs for Podiatry school yet. I am really interested but am afraid I would just be wasting time if i tried. Will I have a chance if I complete the pre-reqs with mostly As?

Thank you for the feed back in advance.

A post-bacc takes roughly 2 years to complete. There's no guarantee how well you'll do in them. It may even be a waste of time/money if you don't get accepted into your profession. Also you have to ask yourself how well you'll think you'll do in a medical curriculum that takes 4 years to complete and your prospects of obtaining a residency? Do you have the motivation for 7 years of schooling? Even when you get in, there's no guarantee you'll succeed in podiatry school. Getting accepted and actually completing podiatry school are 2 very different things. Remember it's like your gambling. However this goes into any professional program, it's risky.

Do it. Stop doubting yourself and just do it.If you do everything right and give 100%, you can do anything.

That is my GPA and I have been offered interviews at all but AZPOD (not heard at all from them) and just got acceptance to RFU. You might need to do a bit better on the MCAT, probably higher than 25 but you should be fine. I will say with kinesiology don't you have at least some prereqs done such as Bio?
Finally though get A's in those classes especially if you go part time, that would look bad if got anything other than As

What about your year? What classes you have already taken and stats in those? What classes you still have to take?

You can't just assume that you will get all A's in these classes. Because if you are talking about classes like BioChem and MicroBio don't assume you'll get all A's. Those are some of the most difficult classes you will take in your entire undergrad. I am assuming that in your KIN major you already took a Physio and/or Anatomy course.

Also, if you were asking for DO, MD, PA, or Optometry then I would say no, but why would you just crush your own dream by assuming you can't make it.

Some of my friends going into the medical professions the worst thing they did was assume that they will get A's (or 4.0s at my school) and when they don't get those they act surprised b/c now they have a lower GPA than they expected and worry. Aim for what you believe you can and should get, not what is the best score possible.

Thank you all for your replies. It means a lot knowing that I do in fact have a chance at accomplishing what I would like to do in life.

Also, I have taken Bio for my major, however it was an intro class. The anatomy classes I have taken are "movement Anatomy" and physiology/anatomy combined classes. I assume these don't count as pre-reqs for podiatry?

you'll be okay. do well on your pre-reqs, then study hard for the mcats and you'll get in. this also isn't the best place to get answers for stuff like if this class counts as a pre-req, i would call the admissions staff and ask them directly, they're paid to answer questions like this

http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/require.asp

I've never been under the impression that anatomy has counted towards bio pre-reqs for any graduate level health program. But Podiatry doesn't get a ton of applicants, I could see some of the schools letting you count that towards pre-reqs.

I mean, hell, there are programs that'll take a GRE instead of the MCAT...