Should I use this story?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FindersFee5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for the UCSD autobiographical question, I'm writing it as a series of representative vignettes about my life. I'm undecided whether I want to use this one or not.

It's about the only time I got in trouble in high school. My friend and I were giving out candy bars in lunch the day before christmas break, people got too excited, and we both got in-school suspensions for "inciting a riot." I realized afterwards that security was totally right for breaking up the whole thing, that it was getting really out of hand. I want to write about it because it taught me a lot about unintended consequences and respect for rules even if I don't understand their purpose. However, is it a bad idea, period, to write about a time I got into trouble?

Members don't see this ad.

How did giving out candy cause a riot? I feel like this was something more exciting than just candy

I wouldn't put this tbh. Highlight good things, not bad, even if you did learn from them.

Last edited:
Is following the rules really that central to your story? I'd leave this out...

Your high school had rules about handing out candy bars? Really? I'd leave this story out.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app