Should I wait to apply? How to fill gaps in my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeftHandedArnold

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a few questions regarding how to fill gaps in my application and whether or not I should apply this year or take another gap year. I'm currently in the middle of my first gap year.

I graduated last year with a Bio degree and a 3.90 GPA. I currently work as an ER tech with about 1200 hours of clinical experience over the course of the last year. I volunteer as a youth sports coach for underprivileged kids and have about 70 hours over the last two years (roughly 2 hours per week). I also have roughly 3000-4000 hours working retail during my undergrad years. No MCAT yet, I'd be taking that in May if I were to apply this year.

Right now I see a few obvious gaps which are no shadowing experience and low volunteering hours. Regarding shadowing, I was curious if I actually needed formal shadowing hours as I work pretty closely with the MD's and DO's in the ER and I personally feel like it's been sufficient experience. However, I'm not sure adcoms will see this the same way.

Regarding my volunteering experience, I've always been a bit concerned that volunteering as a youth sports coach wouldn't be seen as adequate. Even though it's for underprivileged and at-risk youth, for some reason I feel as though it won't be seen the same as some of the other experiences I see fellow applicants talk about. Maybe this is just me being neurotic but it'd be great if someone could let me know exactly how this will be viewed. I really enjoy it, however, and I know I could write/talk about it well during the admissions process.

One other issue I'm going to run into is that I will struggle to find a professor that's willing to write me an LOR. I know this is my mistake, but I never really got to know any of my professors that well, and I kinda doubt that there are any who will recognize my name let alone my face. Will I just have to ask some professors whose classes I did well In for some inevitably weak, cookie-cutter LORs?

Overall, I recognize that I have a fairly good base to build an application from, but I just don't feel quite ready to apply this spring. I have difficulty telling whether or not I'd be delaying my application another year just because I'm anxious about the process, or because I genuinely need more time to prepare. As it stands right now, assuming I have a solid MCAT and decent LORS, I feel like I could probably snag an acceptance somewhere, but in the back of my mind, I still don't feel ready.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't feel ready, don't apply. Make sure this is right for you.

I'm not sure if you must have shadowing given your ER tech work. I doubt it Regardless, if you apply next cycle, you should make it a point to get it so that it's not a question for those schools who value it. Many schools really don't value it that much.

If you apply next cycle, you would also have the possibility of a retake of the MCAT if you don't get the score you want. If you take it in May and don't get a competitive score, you probably should wait until next cycle so that you can retake and also apply early.

Volunteering to coach under-privileged and at-risk youth is community service. 70 hours is on the low side, however. Even if you get it up to 100 hours by the time you apply this cycle, it's on the low side. You mentioned that you worked in retail while in college. Doing so may mean that you had to work and therefore didn't have the time for community service because you yourself are not financially well-off. That would make your lack of volunteering in college much more understandable.

Bottom line: If you want to maximize your chances of acceptance the first time you apply, apply when you're ready in the 2024 cycle with an MCAT score taken months in advance and one that you're comfortable with. Get some shadowing, preferably not with ER doctors, since you are already doing that. Continue your current volunteering so that you should have closer to 200 hours of community service by spring/summer 2024. (You enjoy it and will be showing commitment by sticking to it with consistency.)

The LOR issue is an issue now or later. Do try to stay in touch with a favorite prof. Would you consider offering to volunteer as a research assistant?

Reactions: 1 users
Try to get some shadowing in primary care if you can, to see what practice is like outside the ER. Do more non-clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully the OP will get a sense that what helps is to actually sit down and make a plan. You know where you are deficient or where you think there may be concerns. With the feedback you get here, you need to commit to a plan. Ask the doctors you are around to see if you can talk with and shadow them. They will understand if you are applying to medical school how important this is.

I am also of the camp where the more insight you get of different experiences that doctors do, the better. The hospital is not just the ER. Routine FM/IM especially with rising peds cases this winter...

Ask your professors now for LORs. Don't wallow in the inaction of your past.

Yes Youth sports is community service, but does it show service orientation?

Service Orientation: Demonstrates a desire to help others and sensitivity to others’ needs and feelings; demonstrates a desire to alleviate others’ distress; recognizes and acts on his/her responsibilities to society; locally, nationally, and globally.

As a youth soccer coach, I presume you are coming in as an expert given your enjoyment of soccer. If so, you are not really stretching beyond your comfort zone. I also want to know how you answer the qualifications about alleviating distress... how do you address the issues the youth are facing every day after you are done playing?

Reactions: 2 users
Ask your professors now for LORs. Don't wallow in the inaction of your past.
What do you think is the best way to get an LOR from someone who doesn't even remember who I am? Just ask and hope that they're kind enough to write me something decent?

Yes Youth sports is community service, but does it show service orientation?

Service Orientation: Demonstrates a desire to help others and sensitivity to others’ needs and feelings; demonstrates a desire to alleviate others’ distress; recognizes and acts on his/her responsibilities to society; locally, nationally, and globally.

As a youth soccer coach, I presume you are coming in as an expert given your enjoyment of soccer. If so, you are not really stretching beyond your comfort zone. I also want to know how you answer the qualifications about alleviating distress... how do you address the issues the youth are facing every day after you are done playing?
I'll have to think about this some more. Thanks for you're feedback, I sincerely appreciate it.

What do you think is the best way to get an LOR from someone who doesn't even remember who I am? Just ask and hope that they're kind enough to write me something decent?
Based on your school list, how many science professor letters do you need? The only thing you can do is ask the professors you felt you had the closest relationships with. I don't know if your alma mater had a prehealth advising office, but if so, ask them too. It's not ideal, but you know these are the requirements for many schools to consider your file, so it's better to start building a relationship now.

Reactions: 1 users