Should I work before applying to pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crayons

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to graduate out of undergrad, work for a bit and then apply to pharmacy school, what major would you recommend? I'm looking something that's fairly easy to nail (a job that's in high demand or somewhat) and have decent pay.

And.. are there any large disadvantage in doing this?

Any insights, comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, there is a disadvantage, its called forgetting all that you learned and worked hard for. Sure you can do it, but it will be just harder for you when you do go Besides once you leave the educational stage in your life, its hard to go back to it later

If I wanted to graduate out of undergrad, work for a bit and then apply to pharmacy school, what major would you recommend? I'm looking something that's fairly easy to nail (a job that's in high demand or somewhat) and have decent pay.

I actually think it's a good idea to work for a bit after undergrad if it's something you are interested in doing. It may be nice for you to have a break between undergrad and pharmacy school so that when you get to pharmacy school you're not completely burned out. The gap isn't for everybody, but it worked nicely for me!

The problem is, there aren't very many majors where you can "fairly easily nail a job and have decent pay". I can't think of anything like that around here... Too often people get a BS and then can't find a decent job with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think it's a good idea to work for a bit after undergrad if it's something you are interested in doing. It may be nice for you to have a break between undergrad and pharmacy school so that when you get to pharmacy school you're not completely burned out. The gap isn't for everybody, but it worked nicely for me!

The problem is, there aren't very many majors where you can "fairly easily nail a job and have decent pay". I can't think of anything like that around here... Too often people get a BS and then can't find a decent job with it.

My university wants continuous students. That year off thing wouldn't work if they were applying here.

I was in that boat...got a job offer and then into pharmacy school a few days later. I picked pharmacy school becuase I thought it would be a lot harder to go back once I left being a student. It has worked out for me and I am glad I picked that route. If I didn't like pharmacy, I still had my BS so I could always still get into a different field with that. I have no regrets...I love pharmacy! Plus you get into the profession sooner and will be done with school sooner.

Try engineering...maybe biomedical or chemical. I guess you could say they may decent pay out of college. It's no walk in the park getting an engineering degree tho...

Try working as a drug rep. If you stay up on research it might come in very handy. Just go ahead and take the PCAT whie its fresh.

I was in that boat...got a job offer and then into pharmacy school a few days later. I picked pharmacy school becuase I thought it would be a lot harder to go back once I left being a student. It has worked out for me and I am glad I picked that route. If I didn't like pharmacy, I still had my BS so I could always still get into a different field with that. I have no regrets...I love pharmacy! Plus you get into the profession sooner and will be done with school sooner.

am interested in midwestern university,,how hard to get in , what is the pcat score they require,,,can you help me more with thier requirments

I graduated with a BS in biology, and found jobs as lab techs making less than I was as a pharm tech. I continued to work as a tech for 2 years before applying to pharm school. Apply right out of school, and you won't be wishing that you did it sooner.

I have a chemistry degree and work in the procurement field. I have experience with long term care pharmacy, mail order pharmacy, specialty pharmacy and retail pharmacy. Personally, I am glad I have this work experience because it gives me an edge over other pharmacists who want to work in a corporate enviroment. I have also made some great contacts.

If you are going to work after college, I would pick something medical/pharmacy related. Realistically, you will probably start out around 35-40K instead of the 100K if you go straight to pharmacy school.

Jen

I took 3 years off to work in a lab as a research associate at a major biotech company in California. I graduated with a degree in Cell and Developmental Biology, and I was able to score an internship that started a week after I graduated. The internship eventually led to a full-time job that paid pretty well. I will be going to pharm school this fall.

Taking 3 years off was great for me. It allowed me to mature and gain a lot of perspective into the business that I wouldn't have had going straight from undergrad. And despite what someone stated previously, I actually used the knowledge I learned in undergrad at my job, so it didn't just disappear. Obvisouly some topics will need a little review, but I am not worried about going back to school after having 3 years off.

I don't think it's bad to take time off to work in between undergrad and pharm school. Look into scoring summer internships while you are still in undergrad because whatever field you choose to enter, having a little bit of experience will make it easier to find a job once you graduate.

Creighton has a web-based program where the majority of students are older people with families and jobs. Shenandoah has a non-traditional pharmacy program. I know of people in my class who took some time off. So, time off will not doom your application though I find it better that continuous students are ideal. However, some crap happens where a person must work before pharmacy school admissions.

If you do go that route, then time your PCAT (if applicable) so that it establishes that you haven't forgotten anything.

I worked for two years as a lab tech before I applied to pharm school. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after undergrad, so it allowed me time to think about it. It also scored me points at my interview because I have two years full time experience in the medical field.