Should you list organizations like APhA or pharmacy fraternity on your resume as pharmacist if you haven't been involved in past 2-3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyDogAteMyOxycontin

Reaction score
Background: worked as retail RPH for past 2-3 years, looking to change jobs.

The only reason I would think to include this info honestly is because I have seen listed on some hospital staff RPH job descriptions that they 'prefer you to be a member of professional organizations' or 'prefer you to be involved with professional organizations'. However, it seems kind of pointless as I haven't been involved with these organizations for the past 2-3 years. I held some minor leadership roles while in pharmacy school, but I haven't really been involved recently. I also don't really see any good ways to get involved with APhA and such as a retail RPh, other than CEs, and mostly those are just more expensive versions of something you could easily do online. If you were already a hospital RPH and were a preceptor for students you could probably go to meetings about precepting and academic research and meet with pharmacists with similar interests to you. However, I think this is more difficult coming from a retail background as so many retail RPhs are burned out and not interested in these types of meetings. Apart from which, corporate controls most of the power at the large retail chains so it's not as though going to APhA meetings would really give you the 'power to change your profession' (unfortunately).

So is it worth it to list these organizations and pay dues to join just for the resume or will this just look silly? My resume is slightly over 1 page but even if I remove this section, it's still going to be slightly over 1 page. Should I just include it even if it's not incredibly important because it might be a conversation starter if nothing else? The person who hired me did mention that I was a member of the same pharmacy fraternity as her and I got the job. This probably isn't why, but who knows, maybe if it's between me and another person equally qualified the manager hiring might pick me based on organizations vs. eenie meenie miney moe?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a space filler on a resume/cv, that's it. Leave it if you have white space.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things like this make me roll my eyes when we get applicants. It screams "student" when I'm looking for "working professional." Feel free to take off your APPEs while you're at it.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think it matters to the people reading your resume? If yes, keep.

If you are applying to a position where the people above are selecting, than no.

Do some recon on the people in charge of the position you are applying to. Shape your resume to them. Know your audience. Play to their interests.

Reactions: 1 user
Leave it out unless you held some sort of leadership position that gives the employer a little insight about your leadership traits. Being a member doesn't mean anything lol.

Reactions: 1 user