Showing leadership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfhhadsf234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling in answering a prompt required by my prehealth committee for a letter about showing leadership. I have alright ECs (120 shadowing hours, 320 hours free clinic, various low commitment non clinical volunteering, research) but I can't come up with anything related to showing leadership and I've really racked my brain. I'm not really sure what to do about this prompt now. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some of those low committal volunteering opportunities? What was your role in research? Have you tutored? Led a project? I think showing leadership doesn't necessarily have to be about holding a higher up position like captain or co-chair. It could simply be something you have demonstrated through an experience.

Reactions: 1 users
What are some of those low committal volunteering opportunities? What was your role in research? Have you tutored? Led a project? I think showing leadership doesn't necessarily have to be about holding a higher up position like captain or co-chair. It could simply be something you have demonstrated through an experience.

My big commitment was an internship with a low cost clinic. I also worked with elderly and poor people doing home repairs, at a nature center, and Meals on Wheels. My research unfortunately was largely just me being a lab rat running basic procedures. I guess I'm just lacking in strong experiences where I taught someone something or led a group.

Have you ever spoken to underclassmen/women about the type of volunteer work you do which caused them to join in?
Member of a fraternity?
Member of the pre dental society and mentioned what type of EC's you are doing.
Not all leaders are in charge. Some lead by "example", do the day to day work and demonstrate to others that hard work and commitment are important facets of any volunteer experience. The same goes for your retail work. Being on time, being "present", and completing assigned tasks are good solid characteristics that often seem lost.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you ever spoken to underclassmen/women about the type of volunteer work you do which caused them to join in?
Member of a fraternity?
Member of the pre dental society and mentioned what type of EC's you are doing.
Not all leaders are in charge. Some lead by "example", do the day to day work and demonstrate to others that hard work and commitment are important facets of any volunteer experience. The same goes for your retail work. Being on time, being "present", and completing assigned tasks are good solid characteristics that often seem lost.

These are really good points actually, thank you!