Shows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILOVEMED123

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are doctor shows at all realistic of what the medical profession is actually like?

Members don't see this ad.

Scrubs in my opinion ... Written by an actual doctor

Reactions: 1 user
As a whole? No. It is prime time TV. It is designed to entertain, not inform.

I don't think that any show really captures what day to day life is like because to be frank, it would be incredibly boring the majority of the time. Also, from a content stand point everything is exaggerated or bent to fit the story/characters. Again, such is entertainment.

On the other hand, some shows do address some real issues. Scrubs for instance addresses a lot of the emotions/issues that residents go through and while a little goofy, on the whole is pretty decent.

Last final comment... As a surgical resident... Grey's Anatomy is fantastic. As a drinking game....

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, nah. I mean, I'm no doctor but I'm sure that you don't often see residents, interns and attendings getting it on in the on call room every other day. And real doctors actually know how to correctly pronounce diseases.

They're great shows though! Scrubs and Grey's Anatomy are my favorite. Without all the drama, they would be good shows right? But they're certainly not representative of 'real' medicine.

The best part of Grey's is when they repeatedly through the entirety of the show have no issue shocking flatlines. I guess nobody told them...

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Especially House and Greys Anatomy.
I suppose MASH was more accurate than most. People died, there were complex interpersonal dynamics, big egos, depression, over reliance on alcohol to self medicate, and some hope.
Interesting. My uncle is a doctor and says he can't even watch House because he finds so much wrong with it. But maybe he's just a nitpicker. :)

Interesting. My uncle is a doctor and says he can't even watch House because he finds so much wrong with it. But maybe he's just a nitpicker. :)

I watched (and loved) House in high school. Last year I had the idea that I would rewatch from the beginning. It is SO BAD.

Reactions: 1 user
The fiction dramas obviously aren't, but I enjoyed the couple of seasons of documentary-type shows. I don't remember what they were called, but they were more realistic than the crap shows.
Boston Med and Hopkins?

Yeah. I think there was a third one recently produced too, but I didn't see that one.
New York Med. It wasn't as good, imo. Focus was primarily on the daughter of Dr. Oz (a resident in the show)