shy people make good doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAT_MAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think shy people make good doctors? I don't mind talking to a few people at a time, but I hate when I have to speak to large groups and I have all these eyes staring at me. Is there a specialty I could go into that fits people with my personality?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think shy people make good doctors? I don't mind talking to a few people at a time, but I hate when I have to speak to large groups and I have all these eyes staring at me. Is there a specialty I could go into that fits people with my personality?

There are many shy/introvert people who make wonderful doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)

The correct term is "reserved."

And yes, people who are quiet and reserved make excellent doctors. Not everybody has to be a happy happy, joy joy Empathy-bot Ver. 2.0. I reject the notion that you have to talk a lot and always call attention to yourself to be a good medical student or resident.

You can pretty much go into any specialty and if you play your cards right, will get a reputation for being deep.

Why wouldn't they?

As long as you make the correct diagnoses, know what to prescribe, are good with the scalpel, etc. you'd be a better doctor than the life-of-the-party type that can't heal and/or gets sued for malpractice.

Why wouldn't they?

As long as you make the correct diagnoses, know what to prescribe, are good with the scalpel, etc. you'd be a better doctor than the life-of-the-party type that can't heal and/or gets sued for malpractice.

you're making way too many assumptions here. you quickly defend the "shy doctor" stereotype yet you're quick to stereotype other personalities...

Reactions: 1 user
you're making way too many assumptions here. you quickly defend the "shy doctor" stereotype yet you're quick to stereotype other personalities...

Yet you make a blanket statement regarding pathologists.

Knowledge breeds confidence. If it's a real phobia thing though something like path, anesthesia, or radiology might be worth a look.

yes and you took it seriously?

And you took mine as such too?

I can tell you did because you didn't even interpret my initial response correctly.

I was extremely shy as a kid and thought I would always be that way. I've found that my shyness is less obvious now (maybe as time goes by?), but I am still a bit, especially with having to speak to an audience. Never thought of this affecting me with patient interaction or doing my job as a doc so I'm not worried, but I would if it actually takes a toll on you. In the meantime, no need to start looking at other practicing specialties "for shy people".

Why wouldn't they?

I wanted to add to this.

You have to define shy. Shy in a social situation or shy as in too nervous to talk to your patients?? Most people know how to do their job, they just don't tend to be talkative in social situations out of work because the phony and insincere nature of people in social settings. And actually I suppose I'd agree with Panda and say the proper term to describe the aforementioned is RESERVED NOT SHY!

I grew up in a town where a high percent of the indian people I knew were doctors. I'd classify most of them as reserved. A part of me can understand why too. A lot of the non doctors and non rich people often looked at them and would want to talk to them because they were made of money or they'd get insecure and start trying to show off when those people were invited to their houses because they felt inadequate around these rich doctors. So I'd see where a lot of physicians develop this sense of reservation from about people. People look and see the glamour of their life but don't see what its like from the inside or what they did to get where they are.

Most physicians I know are reserved. Does it make them bad physicians? NO! Being a physician is just like any other job in life in one sense. You are reserved only in particular situations not in every situation in life. I'm sure these same people know how to diplomatically and politely talk with their patients and if they don't they LEARN to do so.

I wanted to add to this.

You have to define shy. Shy in a social situation or shy as in too nervous to talk to your patients?? Most people know how to do their job, they just don't tend to be talkative in social situations out of work because the phony and insincere nature of people in social settings. And actually I suppose I'd agree with Panda and say the proper term to describe the aforementioned is RESERVED NOT SHY!

Most physicians I know are reserved. Does it make them bad physicians? NO! Being a physician is just like any other job in life in one sense. You are reserved only in particular situations not in every situation in life. I'm sure these same people know how to diplomatically and politely talk with their patients and if they don't they LEARN to do so.

Agreed...we have to consider the type and level of shyness. I consider myself shy, but in certain situations. I have, for example, no problems talking to people or participating in class, or speaking my mind to a stranger if the need arises. I do, however, tend to stay away from huge social situations, such as a big parties or events, with the exception of family ones. Why? I just don't like big crowds, and I hate, as you said, the "phony and insincere" nature of those things. I hate having to make small talk and pretend like I'm having fun.

I do not think that as a doctor this level of shyness (or **reservedness**...is that even a word?) will be an impairment, since the nature of the physician-patient relationship allows and demands for some detachment and the assumption of authority in many situations. Plus, there are hundreds of medical specialties and sub-specialties that give one an ample field to choose whatever one is most comfortable with.

Reactions: 1 user
wow, u have 10,000+ posts...let me guess? you're definitely not shy are u G? :)

wow, u have 10,000+ posts...let me guess? you're definitely not shy are u G? :)

Well that depends. With most people no. With people from my hometown where I don't feel comfortable with a lot of people there yes.

As per posting. I could argue that there are a lot of people who'd post on here but might be more shy in person. Its easier to voice your opinion over an internet forum then in person. But again it goes back to situation.

With other premeds or people with whom I have some common ground I'm not shy, but with people who I don't feel I am able to talk to due to lack of any common interests but who try to talk to me, I feel very awkward.

For instance, a lot of the people I grew up with were business majors. The guju people anyways. I don't ever feel like I have much common ground with them because many of them are working in totally unrelated fields so we hold nothing in common on the professional forefront. On the nonprofessional forefront, a lot of them are the types who were big on clubbing and parties. I'm very anti-party and anti-clubbing type of person. My idea of fun doesn't involve getting drunk or going partying all the time. I'm not the kind of person who likes to make small talk with other people about useless things when they aren't people I know well. But with those peers of mine who are in medicine and who I have common ground with I'm not shy at all.

Introverts? I think you want to say those that don't like to be blurty-mac-blurty people. I am a talkative introvert (oxymoron I know but that means I talk at places I feel comfortable at and am shy or quiet at unknown turfs). I find that introvert medical professionals can fall in 2 categories. One include those that are really nice and do their job just right and are always courteous of people's feeling (GOLLY I would absolutely love to hoard an entire team with these people...I feel like I am in this category). Second type are those that can be passive aggressive or those that rather feel to share their feeling with only select people and can be emotional from tiny bits of problems at workplace; I call them extremely sensitive but also the most hard working. For the latter kind, you have to foster a work environment with respect and happiness so that this crowd can work extremely diligently (they do that no matter what they feel on a certain day) and happily.

Call me an introvert but I love their (including my) courteous nature and the quiet willingness to help people (even when they don't get paid for it sometimes).

If you worry how the doctor will interact with you if they are introvert, chill and leave that to the adcom interview phase.

There's specialties for all personalities.

Emergency Medicine: The Waiter/Restaurant Staff
Orthopedic Surgeon: The Mechanic
Urologist: The Perv/Weirdo
GI: The Foodie
General Surgery: The Plumber
Psychiatrist: The Listener
Radiologist: The Nerd
Neurologist: The Nerd's +1
Primary Care: The Friend
Pediatrics: The Mom's Friend

...And many more!