Sigma Xi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerusa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got this email from my dean's office today saying I had been elected to Sigma Xi. I had never heard of this before, but the email described it as being akin to the Phi Beta Kappa for scientists and engineers. Is this something that is worth joining to have on my resume? It does require nominal dues, but I would be happy to pay them if this was something significant. Anybody have any experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it means something to a very small subset of the population. You might win the lottery and run into someone who cares when applying cold for summer research, but (given that you've already been accepted I assume this is why you're asking) I wouldn't count on it being relevant for Residency. It will likely never come into play and, assuming they hold events funded by the dues they make you pay, you won't really have the time to go to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely recommend joining. In my opinion, when an opportunity comes around that has no negatives at all, the choice is obvious. Congrats on getting in!

Yes, I did google it. I was more looking for anyone's personal perspective. thanks for the input. If anyone is in it themselves and wants to chime in, that would be great.

I'm in it myself. It is definitely worth joining. In the realm of basic science research, Sigma Xi is well known throughout the world. It is the PBK equivalent of research. At the very least, you can apply for grants and awards. As an undergrad, it is especially respectable to be a member of Sigma Xi since the requirements are comparatively steep (1st author paper required for my chapter; requirements are similar but vary by chapter).

As a medical student though, if you do not plan on applying for the grants/awards, it probably won't serve you much. What you have accomplished to become a part of the chapter is more important than the recognition.

Got a grant a while back and was nominated to be a member. It's sitting somewhere in my email..should probably do something with that.