Significant other coming along on the interview trip?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MightyShorty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OSU's information packet mentioned that that significant others are invited to the dinner event. None of my other interview invites mentioned anything about significant others. Does anyone know what is the proper etiquette for asking programs about significant other attending social events? Is it bad form to even ask?

Members don't see this ad.

OSU's information packet mentioned that that significant others are invited to the dinner event. None of my other interview invites mentioned anything about significant others. Does anyone know what is the proper etiquette for asking programs about significant other attending social events? Is it bad form to even ask?

It is never bad form to ask. IMNSHO "Happy wife = happy life" (or husbands - not to be gender biased). Residencies understand this. Some (Kalamazoo comes to mind) have an entire program for the spouses of applicants. Other just invite them to dinner. It always amazes me how many spouses, despite personal invitations, stay at the hotel during dinner.

Just remember, where you will be living it is always 72 degrees and fluorescent lit. Your spouse will have to actually live in the community. Their feelings must be considered for things to work well for you.

- H

I think taking my wife to the dinner may help me get in! J/K. She is going to visit a few cities for the weekend before interviews, but mostly only if I'm going for second look stuff because it so dang expensive to buy the plane tickets.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed (I'm now a PGY3) I took my husband who was then my fiance to all the dinners. If you are in a serious relationship and that person will be moving with you I think it is important to include them in the process. Now that I'm on the other side of things, I still drag my husband to the dinners (free food and I don't have to cook)-he enjoys these events and often gets asked a lot of questions regarding what it is like to be the spouse of an EM resident in our program etc. For the most part programs know that your happiness and residency decision is influenced highly by your family and apart from the actual interview day, most events are open unless they specifically state otherwise.

I think taking my wife to the dinner may help me get in! J/K. She is going to visit a few cities for the weekend before interviews, but mostly only if I'm going for second look stuff because it so dang expensive to buy the plane tickets.

I guess that means only take your spouse along if she/he is HOT!:D

I think taking them to the dinners is fine. however, I have, on rare occasion, see individuals bring them to the INTERVIEW. definately a no no.

only bring your spouse to the interview if he/she is super-quinn-hot!