Single Mom and Pre-Pod

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinxycat76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the single mom of a 4 year old daughter and considering applying to Pod school. I've got a GPA of 3.3, Iraq War Vet, haven't taken the MCAT yet. My concern is that Pod school might so occupy my world that I would not be parent my child. What kind of hours are spent in class-studying? Are there any students with families that could give me some insight into their own experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

It will not be easy. I have 1 boy and 1 on the way. I didn't have a kid until the 3rd year and that was tough. If you can survive the first year, I think you can make it. But then you also have externships. You will be moving city to city for months. It may be impossible b/c by the time you reach that stage she will be 7 or 8 and in school, therefore you would need to leave her with family. I would suggest if you are considering it to try to be as close to family as possible. Your support system is the key to every students success, kids/no kids, married/single, ect.

My other suggestion is to go the PA, PharmD, or DDS route. There is no required post-grad training so you won't have to go everywhere to find a program Also there are more school so it is more likely a school will be close to your family b/c you will need the support.

If you have a very strong support system (i.e., family, friends) near you then it might be doable, but I think it'd be very difficult. I have a 6 y/o and a 3 y/o and I know how much attention they want and need. Personally, classes and studying took up 14-18 hours of my day, with a short break for exercise a few days per week.

I like Feelgood's ideas for alternative careers. I could be a Dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a very strong support system (i.e., family, friends) near you then it might be doable, but I think it'd be very difficult. I have a 6 y/o and a 3 y/o and I know how much attention they want and need. Personally, classes and studying took up 14-18 hours of my day, with a short break for exercise a few days per week.

I like Feelgood's ideas for alternative careers. I could be a Dentist.

IF you have a support system, you can do it. I am a first year, and I have 2 children, but also have a wonderful wife. Without her, I could not do it. There is a kid in my school with 4 kids (he is a second year). He also has a wonderful wife. I think the key is a support system. Good luck.

I am a mother of two small childrens including a baby and I am starting pod school this year.
I will be getting a big help from my family but without it I don't think I will be able to balance my family and school.

It will not be easy. I have 1 boy and 1 on the way. I didn't have a kid until the 3rd year and that was tough. If you can survive the first year, I think you can make it. But then you also have externships. You will be moving city to city for months. It may be impossible b/c by the time you reach that stage she will be 7 or 8 and in school, therefore you would need to leave her with family. I would suggest if you are considering it to try to be as close to family as possible. Your support system is the key to every students success, kids/no kids, married/single, ect.

My other suggestion is to go the PA, PharmD, or DDS route. There is no required post-grad training so you won't have to go everywhere to find a program Also there are more school so it is more likely a school will be close to your family b/c you will need the support.

Very informative post. How often do you have to move to different cities during an externship?

While I do not have any children at the current time, many of my friends either entered podiatry school with children or became parents while in school. One female student in my class had two children while in school....I believe her daughter was born 2nd year and her son was born 3rd year. Others have been able to be both medical student and parent. I completely agree that a good support structure is the most valuable asset you can have. Externships generally last for one month. The scheduling of externships can vary. My externships this year were in July, November, and December. Most externships are scheduled between July and December at most schools I believe. You may want to call schools you are interested in to get definite answers. Hope this helped. I wish you all the best of luck with everything.