Single semester of Ochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isabellawhiting.iw

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I'm in a predicament. I was planning on applying for CO 2025 to vet school. However, through transfers and classes not being offered, I am only in Gen Chem II as a Junior, meaning I'll have to do Biochem after graduating. UNLESS, there are schools that let you take a single semester of Ochem and intro to biochem? My school doesn't offer Ochem 2 in the fall (the reason I'm behind now, I took Gen Chem I last spring and couldn't take fall chemistry). Anyone else have experience with this?!

Members don't see this ad.

What about taking classes over summer or concurrently online?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As @TechToDVM said above, summer classes would be a good option to get everything done on time - I've done 3 straight summers of classes to get pre-reqs done as soon as possible. The other option would be to target schools that only require 1 semester of orgo - Wisconsin & Minnesota come to mind (although definitely check with the schools themselves to be sure). Also, is the "intro to biochem" class considered for non-majors? Or is that the usual class folks take for the pre-req? There are sometimes issues with "intro" or "essentials" classes if they're considered to be less rigorous than another option offered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check with the schools you’ll apply to to make sure they’ll take online credits, but you can take online biochem at University of New England concurrently with Ochem 2

I didn't realize taking it concurrently with Ochem 2 is an option some places!

Sure is! I'm taking OCHEM II at LMU and biochem online with CSU concurrently.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Check with the schools you’ll apply to to make sure they’ll take online credits, but you can take online biochem at University of New England concurrently with Ochem 2

slight correction, it actually looks like for UNE’s biochem you don’t even need the second Ochem. For vet school you will, but this class starts every month, or two weeks or something and it’s self paced so there’s lots of flexibility. I definitely want to add that that does NOT mean it’s easy! I worked my butt off.

There are several vet schools that appear to need just OChem 1 followed by Biochem. (So no Ochem 2 required).

I also took OChem 2 and Biochem concurrently the spring before vet school. It wasn't fun, but I got it done on time.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
When I was applying, there were 13 schools that didnt require o chem 2. I didnt take o chem 2, so that was my first line of eliminating schools from my list.

Reactions: 1 users
Also some schools offer biochemistry from both the Chem and Biol department. At my college the Biolology departments Biochemistry only requires OChem 1 to register, while the Chem department requires both 1&2 for their Biochem course. WSU prerequisites list both of the course number from idaho state) as satisfying that Biochem prerequisite. I’ll be taking Ochem2 and Biochem Spring 2021 (applying this cycle). So if I do get accepted to WSU I’ll drop Ochem2 as they don’t require it. However the other two schools I’m applying to do.
*excuse any typos. It’s way early and I had emergency surgery yesterday. So I’m a little loopy on meds

Hello! So I'm in a predicament. I was planning on applying for CO 2025 to vet school. However, through transfers and classes not being offered, I am only in Gen Chem II as a Junior, meaning I'll have to do Biochem after graduating. UNLESS, there are schools that let you take a single semester of Ochem and intro to biochem? My school doesn't offer Ochem 2 in the fall (the reason I'm behind now, I took Gen Chem I last spring and couldn't take fall chemistry). Anyone else have experience with this?!

If your school does not offer Organic 2 when it fits your schedule, I recommend taking it at another institution. I hate to see students delayed due to course scheduling.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was doing my applications, Cornell and UCDavis had recommended I retake my BioChem classes since mine was not strong enough. Here's a link to the online class I took:

It's actually pretty chill. You have up to 6 months to complete the course and it's all online so you can study at your own pace. And if Cornell and UCDavis accepted the course, I have a hunch that other programs will too. Best of luck!