Six weeks till IM shelf. Strategy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDanny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IM is my first shelf, and it is in 6 weeks.

I am reading Step Up, and plan on getting through it by mid September.

Then I plan to hit Pretest pretty hardcore. And go through weak points in Step Up.

Is this good enough? Or should I try to add something?
================================

Also, while I'm here. One of the med students is a cute and single M3 from another school, who I'll have in a few of my rotations this year, and who lives close by.

No harm in asking her if she wants to have coffee some time next weekend, right?

Members don't see this ad.

IM is my first shelf, and it is in 6 weeks.

I am reading Step Up, and plan on getting through it by mid September.

Then I plan to hit Pretest pretty hardcore. And go through weak points in Step Up.

Is this good enough? Or should I try to add something?

UWorld and MKSAP were my fav resources for this test. I would use those for a question source over pretest. I didn't use step up but I heard it was good.

================================

Also, while I'm here. One of the med students is a cute and single M3 from another school, who I'll have in a few of my rotations this year, and who lives close by.

No harm in asking her if she wants to have coffee some time next weekend, right?

That's probably the danger zone. Getting stuck on a rotation with someone that you made things awkward with or worse, an ex, could make for a long few months. Plenty of other fish in the sea.

Thanks for the first half of the advice.

As for the second part, we only have these six weeks plus 4 or so of Family together for the entire year, and thats if we are on the same team.

It is absolutely impossible to meet anyone else, since you spend 80+ hours a week at hospitals or studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard step up and MKSAP were key, the latter more so. Someone said that the shelf was as if it came straight from the book. I haven't taken it yet so I don't know but that's just hear-say

I heard step up and MKSAP were key, the latter more so. Someone said that the shelf was as if it came straight from the book. I haven't taken it yet so I don't know but that's just hear-say

This is how I felt when I took the exam back in March; Step-Up is a challenging book to get through several times, but really was spot-on for the IM shelf.

MKSAP is a complete waste of time and Step Up is just too dense for most people to even bother trying to read through completely. I found UWorld to be the single best resource for the shelf, even though I only finished about a third of the IM questions.

I read through Step Up twice, Case Files, and did all the medicine UWorld questions and did well. I looked at MKSAP but wasn't the biggest fan. Hope that helps.