size and age of residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions about how the age (new program vs. established program) and size (small hospital vs. large hospital) might affect training or limit options in the future?

Just another general question to throw out there as I mess around with my rank list. I guess this is more for folks who are almost out of residency or have already been practicing for a little while. Some of the programs in the top portion of my list are vastly different in terms of the main hospital size (the smallest has an admitting hospital of under 100 beds) and how long the program has been around (i.e., less than a decade). I don't really think I want to commit myself to hospital work, so I'm not convinced that a smaller main training site would really limit my experience; however, I don't like eliminating future options, and I feel that in residency it is generally better to get a greater breadth of experience (even if you never use some of it) than a lesser one.

The question of program age really has to do with career opportunities. I wouldn't expect that coming from a younger program would really make a huge difference in family medicine (as opposed to some other specialties), but just in case I decide to go towards academics or something of that nature... just wondering what other people think.

Members don't see this ad.

Size of the hospital often correlates with whether the program is opposed with other specialties or unopposed. If you really want to get your hands in there and learn as much as you can, then you may get more extensive training by going to a smaller hospital where you're running the entire show (setting ventilators in the ICU, delivering babies, etc.)