Skip Residency and go into Clinical Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sal Sero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Current MS3 at a top 20 MD school. Have always done well in my classes and loved learning medicine. Did some minimal research in my first two years of school. Then took a year off to do research at the NIH and was very productive and loved it. Came back to school and after being on the wards I realized I am missing one important thing that is crucial to being a good doctor: I don't really enjoy taking care of sick people. Probably should have figured this out earlier, but regardless, I love research and would be happy just doing that. Wondering if people ever skip residency and go straight into clinical research? My ideal job would be coordinating/running clinical trials. Happy to do further training if it becomes necessary, but seriously dreading the idea of enduring a residency when I don't even plan on treating sick people in the long term.

Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Running clinical trials without residency seems like a dumb idea. If you said basic research and had an RO1 lined up, sure, but this seems like a bad idea. If you want to go into consulting, that's a different story, but I still think you should do residency.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You could do a post-doctoral fellowship with just an MD and run a basic science/translational lab, but I think for clinical trials you need look into the licensing requirements.

You could always do a research track residency too (e.g. IM, only 4 years) and have a more academic/research oriented career - this is probably the wisest option. You certainly have the background for it with your research year at NIH.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm an MD and have been working in pharma clinical trials for 20+ years. Note of caution - completing medical school without residency training will be the kiss of death. It is very competitive to get a job as a clinical researcher. Most of it is based on 3 factors:

1) MD/DO degree
2) Completion of residency and fellowship
3) Prior research experience

Having only #1 and #3 will not be enough. They want all 3. I'm a hiring manager and would never hire someone who didn't complete a residency for a clinical research job. I do know of some IMGs who work in clinical research. But they work dead end jobs like clinical trial coordinator. To be a medical director on a clinical trial program you will need specialty training and experience.

Reactions: 4 users
Without a residency, you might as well make your MD diploma a coaster for your Frappuccino if your plan is to do any clinical research. If anything you'll need an residency and additional an additional master degree in clinical research.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
welcome to diagnostic radiology . There are research tracks at several of the big academic centers. You can do research and not touch sick people and be a doctor

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I agree with everything that has been said above. In order to do translational work, you need to complete a residency, and unless you're doing a surgical subspecialty where they often build in some research time during residency, you likely would need to do a fellowship too.

Hi,

Current MS3 at a top 20 MD school. Have always done well in my classes and loved learning medicine. Did some minimal research in my first two years of school. Then took a year off to do research at the NIH and was very productive and loved it. Came back to school and after being on the wards I realized I am missing one important thing that is crucial to being a good doctor: I don't really enjoy taking care of sick people. Probably should have figured this out earlier, but regardless, I love research and would be happy just doing that. Wondering if people ever skip residency and go straight into clinical research? My ideal job would be coordinating/running clinical trials. Happy to do further training if it becomes necessary, but seriously dreading the idea of enduring a residency when I don't even plan on treating sick people in the long term.

Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated
I have been in the pharma industry for a couple of decades ( this sdn id was created for my son) with a few NDAs experience. Generally speaking, working in clinical research required a specialty in medicine. Major pharma companies are looking for MDs with specific residency/fellowship training to run their clinical development program. Without residency training, it is hard to find a job in pharma. As the principal investigators running phase II/III trials for pharma companies they are usually either worldwide opinion leaders or regional opinion leaders. Most phase II/III trials are conducted in an academic center, you have to be an attending in the center with specific patients population in order for the pharma company to look for you to participate in its clinical trials. Hope this helps.

Make a ton of money in pharma specifically, or do you mean just general practice?
It can be general practice.

Read this thread that was started by a heme/onc doc. See post #20.

You could always do a research track residency too (e.g. IM, only 4 years) and have a more academic/research oriented career - this is probably the wisest option. You certainly have the background for it with your research year at NIH.
How realistic/doable is it to get into an IM Research Track residency? It looks like they favored advanced degrees (ie PhD) and extensive research experience (ie research year or previous jobs as research assistant)

Do they ask for higher board scores? More competitive than categorical programs?

How realistic/doable is it to get into an IM Research Track residency? It looks like they favored advanced degrees (ie PhD) and extensive research experience (ie research year or previous jobs as research assistant)

Do they ask for higher board scores? More competitive than categorical programs?
You could also do IM residency and then do an (G)IM research fellowship (2 years).

Reactions: 1 user
You could also do IM residency and then do an (G)IM research fellowship (2 years).
What would the GIM fellowship do? Would it make OP more competitive for research in the future? How is it different from a general GIM fellowship for those interested in general IM? Would it help set OP up for a career in research?

Reactions: 1 user

Competitiveness is hard for me to gauge - this depends on the program/location I'm sure. Typically applicants do have a strong research background (either research year or significant research experience during medical school overall).

You could look into preventive medicine residency. You have to do an intern year, but then it's mainly just research and classwork after that. Most of the programs have you end up with an MPH at the end of training. Public health may be more on a larger scale than what you are interested, but you would technically be doing a residency and get some research training at the same time.