Slight confusion with how residency placement works

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lonebush

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from New York and was just wondering if hypothetically let's say I went to a medical school in Georgia, can I place into a residency back in New York? It's just my entire life is here and I don't care where I end up going to medical school but is it possible to get residency back here?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is possible to match outside the state where you attended medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
yes definitely. i have friends from my medical school (in NY) that are now in residency in CA. there's also a ton of NY residencies to choose from.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes definitely. i have friends from my medical school (in NY) that are now in residency in CA. there's also a ton of NY residencies to choose from.

That's great to know, I can't see myself living anywhere else other than NY so it's really important to me.

That's great to know, I can't see myself living anywhere else other than NY so it's really important to me.
Although you can go to residency anywhere, it's generally not a good idea to restrict yourself to only one geographical area especially NY which is a very competitive location. You go to residency wherever you match, and then once you finish residency and are a board licensed physician, you can move wherever you want to practice.

Although you can go to residency anywhere, it's generally not a good idea to restrict yourself to only one geographical area especially NY which is a very competitive location. You go to residency wherever you match, and then once you finish residency and are a board licensed physician, you can move wherever you want to practice.

To clarify, one's definition of NY is important here. NYC is competitive because people want to live there. The rest of NY state is decidedly not.

I would also keep in mind that certain fields have relatively few residencies, and as a DO you're already limited in this regards. If you want something specific for residency, your NY options might be a bit limited, but if you mainly want something in the core specialties, then you should be OK.

Reactions: 3 users
So if I'm a Texas resident, but I attend medical school in say Colorado, can I find a residency easily in Texas since I lived there my whole life? Or does Texas work differently

So if I'm a Texas resident, but I attend medical school in say Colorado, can I find a residency easily in Texas since I lived there my whole life? Or does Texas work differently
I don’t *think* it’ll matter that you’ve lived there before, unless you have some sort of connection to a hospital there. But they run on the same system as every residency... it’s not like amcas and then the Texas system (whatever it’s called).

To clarify, one's definition of NY is important here. NYC is competitive because people want to live there. The rest of NY state is decidedly not.

I would also keep in mind that certain fields have relatively few residencies, and as a DO you're already limited in this regards. If you want something specific for residency, your NY options might be a bit limited, but if you mainly want something in the core specialties, then you should be OK.

By core specialities, you mean something like family med or internal med right? Cause my goal was to go into primary care anyways.

Apparently, the state you are from, tends to be a positive factor in getting placed for residency back in that state.

But, this isn't the best mentality to have. You owe it to yourself, once you get to that point, to explore all options and go to the BEST PROGRAM your app/stats/scores/etc. allow you to.

You shouldn't have an issue getting a spot in whatever field nack in New York. However, if you are referencing the city specifically, well that's an uphill battle for anyone.

Apparently, the state you are from, tends to be a positive factor in getting placed for residency back in that state.

But, this isn't the best mentality to have. You owe it to yourself, once you get to that point, to explore all options and go to the BEST PROGRAM your app/stats/scores/etc. allow you to.

You shouldn't have an issue getting a spot in whatever field nack in New York. However, if you are referencing the city specifically, well that's an uphill battle for anyone.
haha no definitely not the city, I heard how competitive it is. I'd be grateful to practice anywhere within the tri-state area since my entire family is here.

haha no definitely not the city, I heard how competitive it is. I'd be grateful to practice anywhere within the tri-state area since my entire family is here.
Study hard. You'll reach that goal.

By core specialities, you mean something like family med or internal med right? Cause my goal was to go into primary care anyways.

By core I mean the specialties that everyone rotates through and there are a ton of, like IM, FM, Peds, OB, Psych, and EM. Rads and Gas also probably have a ton. I don't say GS, because you really shouldn't limit yourself much as a DO applying to GS.

There are tons of residencies throughout the tristate area. As long as you do well and apply broadly, you'll be fine.

Just a note, many NY residencies are known for being terrible places to do residency.

NYC, especially IM/FM, known for being particularly abusive. That said, there are a number of solid programs in upstate NY and eastern PA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am from New York and was just wondering if hypothetically let's say I went to a medical school in Georgia, can I place into a residency back in New York? It's just my entire life is here and I don't care where I end up going to medical school but is it possible to get residency back here?

It is possible but difficult. Manhattan residency programs are very competitive. If you want a residency in Manhattan (NYC), you need to do as many rotations as possible during medical school in Manhattan. You will be much more competitive if the program director knows you. I went through this myself. I was successful because I did every possible rotation in NYC and the program directors knew me.

In addition, residency programs for DOs in Manhattan remain, in general, difficult to get. There are many MDs (many from NYC medical schools) competing for the same positions. Success is likely to be higher in the outer boroughs. To be successful, you need to work hard (get good grades on standardized exams) and plan ahead. It can work out. I did it. But, it was not easy.

It is possible but difficult. Manhattan residency programs are very competitive. If you want a residency in Manhattan (NYC), you need to do as many rotations as possible during medical school in Manhattan. You will be much more competitive if the program director knows you. I went through this myself. I was successful because I did every possible rotation in NYC and the program directors knew me.

In addition, residency programs for DOs in Manhattan remain, in general, difficult to get. There are many MDs (many from NYC medical schools) competing for the same positions. Success is likely to be higher in the outer boroughs. To be successful, you need to work hard (get good grades on standardized exams) and plan ahead. It can work out. I did it. But, it was not easy.
Hey guys - it's hard but HE DID IT !

Hmmm, that's some good insight. Also if you don't mind me asking, how do rotations work? Let's say I go away to a school pretty far away from NY, do I get to choose which locations I do rotations at? Or is it like a matching system?

Hmmm, that's some good insight. Also if you don't mind me asking, how do rotations work? Let's say I go away to a school pretty far away from NY, do I get to choose which locations I do rotations at? Or is it like a matching system?
The school you go to will have its own rotation sites to do your core rotations at, but end of 3rd year and most of 4th year, you can schedule elective rotations on your own wherever you want.

The school you go to will have its own rotation sites to do your core rotations at, but end of 3rd year and most of 4th year, you can schedule elective rotations on your own wherever you want.

Ahh okay. Thanks!