Smdep 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to you all today is the big day for most of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:xf::xf::love:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to thank everyone for being part of this thread. Also good luck to all of you, today is a big day for many of us......:xf:

.. .Dear Student,.
. .
.The Summer Medical and Dental Program (SMDEP) web based application system is experiencing technical problems preventing you from viewing your status and/or admission decisions online. .
. .
.The SMDEP IT department is vigorously working on correcting the issue. We will update you as soon as possible..
. .
.We apologize for the inconvenience. .
. .
.SMDEP National Program Office.
.1-866-587-6337.
. .

Did everyone else get their email this morning explaining about the web based application not working... Any who I wonder when we are going to know the decisions. Now I am getting impatient. :whistle:

Yes, I got the email too (horrible timing), but I logged on anyway and was still able to view my status. Still in review everywhere, I will try hard NOT to check it every hour :p

Good luck again everyone :luck:

I was accepted to Case Western!!

Though not my first choice, I am still happy!

Anyone else, let me know!

I just got accepted into Yale and Texas. i am heading to Yale for the summer.Good luck to everyone else....:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted at Columbia, Yale, and UVa. Best of luck to everyone!

Hi guys!

I've been lurking on this thread for quite a while so I figured I should finally post. I've been accepted at all 3 sites I applied to (UMDNJ, Texas, and Nebraska) and couldn't keep the excitement to myself. :D Anyways here are some of my stats for those of you who are still waiting and would like something to compare yourselves to.

GPA: 3.471
Ethnicity: Puerto Rican
State of Residence: NJ
LORs: one from a pediatrician I shadowed, the other from my work supervisor.
Great Essays
Extra-Curriculars: BBBS Mentor, Soccer Intramurals, Foundation for the International Medical Relief of Children, American Medical Student Association
Work Experience: Retail Cashier, Pharmacy Technician, Student Assistant for Office of Information Technology at my school, Cell & DNA Repository
Volunteer Experience: Medical Relief Trip to Nicaragua, and many other things due to the clubs I'm involved with.
Shadowing Experience: Shadowed 3 different doctors within pediatric and dermatology specialties and also currently involved in the Robert Wood Johnson Physician Shadowing Program

By the way, anyone going to any of the sites that I mentioned above? And any recommendations on particular sites? I figured that if I do go to medical school, I'd stay in NJ for financial reasons so maybe it'd be best to go to UMDNJ and start making connections. Although, I've been in NJ my whole life and might want a change of scenery so we'll see.

Anyways, best of luck to all of you that are still waiting! I'm crossing my fingers for you. :xf:

is it bad that all my schools still say "application in review"

YAYYYYYYY!!!

Congrats to everyone, and good luck to those still waiting.:xf::xf:

This waiting for help prepare you for the wait when you'll are apllying to medical schools!!!!!!!!!:love:

Accepted to UVA and Howard, I think I will choose UVA. UW rejected my application-- too bad, it was my first choice! :(

Congrats to everyone!

Accepted Yale and UVA. Going to Yale. Rejected by Duke. Here are some stats for anyone waiting.

GPA: 3.5
Ethnicity: White/American Indian
State of Residence: VA
LORs: Calc professor/Pre-med Advisor
Great Essays
Extra-Curriculars: Honor Council and Dorm President. Heavily involved in theatre.
Volunteer Experience: Various Mission trips. Performed in Japan. Volunteer for 7 years (nursing home/hospital)
Shadowing Experience: Shadowed 3 different doctors

Also my app was completed (transcripts and LOR in) Jan 18th. I think being early is key. I think Duke was already full by that point.

Last edited:
According to my contact at Case, I was the first scholar to respond :laugh:

Accepted to Duke, Howard, and Yale!!!. . .I'm definitely going to Yale! (its schedule allows me to still take a summer course!). . .I'M SUPER EXCITED! :D

Last edited:
hey guys accepted at Louisville!!:)
Anyone else thinking of going there??

hey guys i didnt get in anywhere. would you guys mind posting your stats and the school you came from. it would really help me when i apply next year. congrats to those who got in

Congrats everyone who got accepted:):love:

I got rejected from all three institutions:confused::smuggrin:... trying to find out why? I submitted the application on Jan 31st and they posted online the LORs on Feb. 10 and universitied made decisions on feb 10, 14 and 15.

When did u guys applied and got accepted...well there is always next year! now I need to find something for the summer...any ideas?

I got rejected from all three institutions:confused::smuggrin:... trying to find out why? I submitted the application on Jan 31st and they posted online the LORs on Feb. 10 and universitied made decisions on feb 10, 14 and 15.

When did u guys applied and got accepted...well there is always next year! now I need to find something for the summer...any ideas?

Was your application complete before the 1st of Feb? Has anyone gotten a decision on their application that was completed after the 1st?, but everything was sent in before the first?

Jan 31st is a very close call. My application was complete on that day as well. I got accepted to one of three and one of my recommendations was not so-called "received." I am fortunate but despite early admission, I believe your essays and overall economic needs as well as your program choice (medical/dental) affects the decision. They were most likely full by the time they reached your application. Good luck and I hope you get in next year.

Oops I didn't put my stats!

GPA: 3.82 when submitted
Ethnicity: Hispanic
State of Residence: MD
LORs: Linguistics prof/Bio prof -- both are my advisors
I thought my essays were ok
Extra-Curriculars: pre-professional frat, UNICEF, Astronomy club, honor society
Volunteer Experience: math/science clinic for middle schoolers, tutor, local community service, fundraising
Shadowing Experience: none
Research: 2 yrs +

Accepted: UVA, Howard
Rejected: UW

Going to UVA, if anyone else is going, feel free to PM me :)

I got accepted to UCLA and Duke. Rejected from Columbia

GPA:3.9
Sophomore
African American/ Caribbean
Great essays
not too much shadowing experience at all really
Completed application on December 28th

Any reasons why you guys think I didn't get into Columbia?
And which is the better program? Duke or UCLA? Which med school is higher ranked(...this may be a dumb question)? Do either of these two schools guarantee you an interview if you went to the SMDEP program?

You should call the site and ask them those questions. If it were me I would go to Duke. It in the top 3 of SMDEP sites

Thanks:D! Yeah, my application was submitted and completed on Jan 31st. I applied to medical at case western, duke and Kentucky:cry:+pity+
Whoever got accepted can you please post ur stats...so people like me can have better ideas about what can we do to prepare for a better application next year.

Thanks again:biglove:

Last edited:
I got into Washington, UCLA, and Columbia...

Last edited:
Accepted at Nebraska, and UW! Columbia still has "--"

African-American/Caribbean decent
HBCU
Extremely thought out and genuine essays
A number of volunteer and school organizations
Urban background

just got into COlumbia too.

Thanks for your message! Would you mind also describing what was unique about SMDEP in terms of how it will perhaps change your life? I'm debating between doing research or doing SMDEP (if I get in). I'm a bit concerned that SMDEP is primarily focused on review of science classes, and there's only a bit of shadowing. The benefit of doing research is that I could shadow on the weekends, perhaps.

You're right, there is a huge emphasis on learning things, and shadowing plays a secondary role. To be frank, shadowing isn't all that important in getting accepted into medical school anyways, more-so with Dentistry.

I don't know what year you are, but if you are a Freshman, you can still do research after your sophomore or junior years - which is exactly what I'm doing.

Going back to the education: review of the sciences is important and integral to the program, but there is also learning seminars, career information, we got to talk one-on-one with the Dean of Admission at Columbia, hear exactly what schools are looking for. And, maybe most importantly, I spent a summer with 79 other underrepresented in medicine students who had EXACTLY the same goals as me. We are all striving for the same goal, encouraging each other. SMDEP is simply amazing. I PROMISE you that if you get into SMDEP and decide to do research, you will regret it.

P.S. Good Luck/Congratulation to everyone today!!

Accepted to UVA !!!!!!!! =))

Not Accepted to Yale =/
and Duke still has --- on its status, does that mean I have to wait?

thanks you guys for everything!
I loved this thread!

Going to UVA! If anyone else is going, feel free to PM me:)

Looks like ill be in Seattle this summer! Yay, people going to the UW site, we should be friends!