Smdep 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*decision

Members don't see this ad.

i just saw my decission i got into DUKE and UVA.

i have no idea which one to choose! someone help me!

Look at the details of each site and pick the one that suits you the most.It would be awesome if you chose Duke:)

I got rejected from all 3...sucks bc they rejected me before they even revieced my second letter of recommendation! i feel like its not fair but i can't really do anytihng about it :( congrats to everyone though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Add Yourself

Columbia

Yale
1. Coltsbcs

Duke

Washington

UVA

Howard

Case

Add Yourself

Columbia

Yale
1. Coltsbcs

Duke

Washington

UVA
1. tanay

Howard

Case

Columbia

Yale
1. Coltsbcs

Duke
1. Epfrias

Washington

UVA

Howard

Case

Columbia
1. PSU2013
Yale
1. Coltsbcs

Duke
1. premedLA3

Washington

UVA
1. tanay

Howard

Case

Columbia
1. PSU2013

Yale
1. Coltsbcs

Duke
1. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003

UVA
1. tanay

Howard

Case

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia
1. PSU2013

Yale
1. Coltsbcs

Duke
1. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

i just saw my decission i got into DUKE and UVA.

i have no idea which one to choose! someone help me!

I actually have the exact same decision to make! I think it will ultimately be Duke though. Whichever you choose it'll be great!

Oh and first post! What an eventful day... :)

So does anyone have any thoughts on Yale vs. UMDNJ? Anyone been to either?

And congrats to all you guys :)

So does anyone have any thoughts on Yale vs. UMDNJ? Anyone been to either?

And congrats to all you guys :)

If you are not a New Jersey resident I feel Yale would be more beneficial because UMDJ ultimately seeks NJ residents for its medical school. & c'mon Yale is YALE

If you are not a New Jersey resident I feel Yale would be more beneficial because UMDJ ultimately seeks NJ residents for its medical school. & c'mon Yale is YALE

I am a NJ resident haha, just wondering if there is really truth behind the YALE medical school name? Will the summer program be that much more enriching??

Or will the summer classes prepare me better than UMDNJ would.

edit: btw we have to make our decision very soon, correct?

I am a NJ resident haha, just wondering if there is really truth behind the YALE medical school name? Will the summer program be that much more enriching??

Or will the summer classes prepare me better than UMDNJ would.

I actually do not know, but someone from my University went and loved it, but where would you most likely want to go in the future thats how I made my decision

Columbia
1. PSU2013

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.

Duke
1. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.

Duke
1. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

I can't choose, anyone have any opinions between Nebraska and Houston programs?

Thanks for the help!

I got into UW!!!! So excited. I am not a URM and have a very low GPA. I have done a lot of ec and volunteering. A lot of weight is on essays for sure, I think that's where my acceptance came from.

I can't choose, anyone have any opinions between Nebraska and Houston programs?

Thanks for the help!

I was in the same situation last year, but I ended up choosing Nebraska and I had great time. I'm sure both sites are great, so you should definitely look at what opportunities each site offers - shadowing vs. class time. If you like a mid-sized city atmosphere, I would choose Omaha.

I was in the same situation last year, but I ended up choosing Nebraska and I had great time. I'm sure both sites are great, so you should definitely look at what opportunities each site offers - shadowing vs. class time. If you like a mid-sized city atmosphere, I would choose Omaha.

I agree. Even though my site is not in "the City" of NY (excitement) it offers a research component and MCAT/DAT instructor. Go for the program you feel will help you. Good luck. :)

@PSU: Hmm that is true, I guess. The reasoning that I have though is that since I'm a NJ resident I would have even a greater chance of getting into UMDNJ in the future possibly due to attending the program. Yale is a pretty hard med school to get into though so I don't think that it would make much of a difference to them if I got accepted. All they really would look at is the GPA and MCATs. Am I right in my reasoning?

@PSU: Hmm that is true, I guess. The reasoning that I have though is that since I'm a NJ resident I would have even a greater chance of getting into UMDNJ in the future possibly due to attending the program. Yale is a pretty hard med school to get into though so I don't think that it would make much of a difference to them if I got accepted. All they really would look at is the GPA and MCATs. Am I right in my reasoning?

Well i don't bc I saw on Columbia's website that many of the SMDEP participants matriculated at their med & dental school. If you make good connections you might have a good shot, and a lot more is considered in an applicant than just his or her GPA & MCAT scores. In the end you have to choose whats going to make you the happiest and the most comfortable.

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.

Duke
1. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

Well i don't bc I saw on Columbia's website that many of the SMDEP participants matriculated at their med & dental school. If you make good connections you might have a good shot, and a lot more is considered in an applicant than just his or her GPA & MCAT scores. In the end you have to choose whats going to make you the happiest and the most comfortable.

Where did you find that on Columbia's website? And hmm so you think it would be in my best interest to attend the Yale program because the quality of education would be higher there and/or it would look better on my resume?

Congrats to everyone who got in! I made a group on fb

just search "SMDEP Summer 2011"

It's a group, join it if you want :)

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
3. futpedMD...YALE, how you doin'?? :))

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
3. futpedMD...YALE, how you doin'?? )
4. iRPhil

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

so they said we have two biz days to decide, does that mean that we have to make a choice by 12 am tonight?

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92 :)

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

Does anybody know when we are to receive further info and instructions from the site we confirmed at?

Does anybody know when we are to receive further info and instructions from the site we confirmed at?

Definitely check you email. I read other sites where they mailed stuff to the addresses, but ultimately after APRIL 1st when all the spots have been finalized.

I am still waiting on recommendations to be sent in. Do you think all the program sites are full at this point?

Definitely check you email. I read other sites where they mailed stuff to the addresses, but ultimately after APRIL 1st when all the spots have been finalized.

Did you already get some new info from Yale?

Did you already get some new info from Yale?

Nope. But i'm not really trippin' about it. If I gets to April 15th and I don't have anything then i'll call. But its probably more convenient for them to send it all at once so everyone is on the same page.

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

alrighty confirmed Nebraska todayyyyyyyyyyy!!! oh gosh I got so many questions! I need to speak with somebody who has been in Nebraska's programmm!! Anyone wants to share his/her experience???

BTW, right now it shows only online that i've been accepted, shouldn't they inform me by email or even mail????

no it says 2 business days AFTER THE ADMISSIONS RELEASE so u got till tomorrow night

Hey guys is the application supposed to be 100% complete once you confirm a site or is it normal to still show 95%?

I am still waiting on recommendations to be sent in. Do you think all the program sites are full at this point?

When I called one of the sites last week they lady said if you were able to submit the application to the sites then that site was not full when you applied, in other words say you wanted to click Coulmbia as a site to send your application, a error message would show telling you the site had been closed... no error message no problem. Also most sites make a decision on your application with or without letters of recommendation as long as transcripts are in.

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2.straanth:soexcited:

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf

Howard

Case

Where did you find that on Columbia's website? And hmm so you think it would be in my best interest to attend the Yale program because the quality of education would be higher there and/or it would look better on my resume?

How does Columbia accept people with 3.4 GPAs in SMDEP and enroll them in their medical/dental programs. Doesn't quite make sense.