Smdep 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway
2. ncdent7191

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple
5. mhernandez13

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
3. futpedMD...YALE, how you doin'?? )
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92
6. Espadaleader

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3
3. nadinex
4. ib4walrus

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth
3. naf831

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf
3. Pink91

UCLA
1. echen

Howard
1. RastaPasta
2. Elastigirl

CASE
1. janezfresh
2. Tg4u531

NEW JERSEY:) JOIN THE FB PAGE
1. Quise18
2. rebgi

Members don't see this ad.

Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway
2. ncdent7191

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple
5. mhernandez13

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92
6. Espadaleader

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3
3. nadinex
4. ib4walrus

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth
3. naf831

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf
3. Pink91

UCLA
1. echen
2. AValdez2010

Howard
1. RastaPasta
2. Elastigirl

CASE
1. janezfresh
2. Tg4u531

New Jersey
1. Quise18
2. rebgi

Got into Duke and UCLA. Hard decision, but went for UCLA. Submitted and completed my application on Jan 31. LORs and transcript sent in week or two before. Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got into UCLA but waitlisted for UVA. I was wondering if anyone knows how competitive UVA is? I really wanted to go there but would hate to wait and deny UCLA then find out I didn't get in. :confused:

I think you have a pretty good chance of waitlisting for UVA because I heard not many people want to go there.

I applied to columbia, texas, and nj.
I come from a reputable hs and state university.
Lets see, I finished my application by mid Febrary, sent in all LOR, transcripts by early Feb. I have a 3.7gpa, extracurriculars included TAing for bio, clubs, volunteer work

I got into NJ and wailisted for Texas. As someone from nyc, going to texas would be way too inconvient, so I went with NJ. =D who else is going to nj!??!?

Do you know why UVA isn't that popular? I'm not sure if I should just accept UCLA or wait to hear back from UVA!

Do you know why UVA isn't that popular? I'm not sure if I should just accept UCLA or wait to hear back from UVA!

Ever heard of the saying " a bird in the hand is better than two in a bush" ? Even if UVA is where you want to go, UCLA is really great too. Is UVA really worth you jeopardizing your chance of attending SMDEP? You may not get the chance to attend SMDEP again if you lose this opportunity. Think about it:)

Just confimed to Houston! :D Texas Pride :love:
congrats to everyone who got accepted :highfive:
Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway
2. ncdent7191

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple
5. mhernandez13

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92
6. Espadaleader

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3
3. nadinex
4. ib4walrus

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth
3. naf831

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf
3. Pink91

UCLA
1. echen
2. AValdez2010

Howard
1. RastaPasta
2. Elastigirl

CASE
1. janezfresh
2. Tg4u531

New Jersey
1. Quise18
2. rebgi

Houston
1. Tooth Lover

Ever heard of the saying " a bird in the hand is better than two in a bush" ? Even if UVA is where you want to go, UCLA is really great too. Is UVA really worth you jeopardizing your chance of attending SMDEP? You may not get the chance to attend SMDEP again if you lose this opportunity. Think about it:)

Yes, getting into SMDEP is a challenge itself, but why settle for just okay when you may not enjoy the six weeks there and would rather be at a site you wanted to be at. :)

i applied to columbia, texas, and nj.
Lets see, i finished my application by mid febrary, sent in all lor, transcripts by early feb. I have a 3.7gpa, extracurriculars included taing for bio, clubs, volunteer work

i got into nj and wailisted for texas. As someone from nyc, going to texas would be way too inconvient, so i went with nj. =d who else is going to nj!??!?

i am :)

UCLA's stipend is 600, if anyone is wondering. Who will I see there??

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted before but my name somehow got missed.

Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway
2. ncdent7191
3. Mzamostny

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple
5. mhernandez13

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92
6. Espadaleader

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3
3. nadinex
4. ib4walrus

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth
3. naf831

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf
3. Pink91

UCLA
1. echen
2. AValdez2010

Howard
1. RastaPasta
2. Elastigirl

CASE
1. janezfresh
2. Tg4u531

New Jersey
1. Quise18
2. rebgi

Houston
1. Tooth Lover

Confirmed Duke! I guess i'll just add myself to the list?

Nebraska
1. smdepalltheway
2. ncdent7191
3. Mzamostny

Columbia
1. PSU2013
2. stereolov3
3. juandi9120
4. pourlepeuple
5. mhernandez13

Yale
1. Coltsbcs
2. FutMedStudent.
4. iRPhil
5. jessicalee92
6. Espadaleader

Duke
1. Epfrias
2. premedLA3
3. nadinex
4. ib4walrus
5. premed27

Washington
1.FutureMD003
2. straanth
3. naf831

UVA
1. tanay
2. baburf
3. Pink91

UCLA
1. echen
2. AValdez2010

Howard
1. RastaPasta
2. Elastigirl

CASE
1. janezfresh
2. Tg4u531

New Jersey
1. Quise18
2. rebgi

Houston
1. Tooth Lover

I applied to columbia, texas, and nj.
Lets see, I finished my application by mid Febrary, sent in all LOR, transcripts by early Feb. I have a 3.7gpa, extracurriculars included TAing for bio, clubs, volunteer work

I got into NJ and wailisted for Texas. As someone from nyc, going to texas would be way too inconvient, so I went with NJ. =D who else is going to nj!??!?

I'm from cali going to Connecticut. Step out of the box a little.

See you at LA, Ella89! I'm pretty happy with the 600, and gym access :D

how did you find out about the stipend and gym access? have you already gotten something in the mail?? *anxiously waiting*

Hey everyone

I got accepted to both Case Western and UMDNJ.
I live in NYC, so UMDNJ seems better location-wise (I like to go back home for the weekend).
But I have no idea which program is better/which would look better come med school application time.

SO PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME MAKE A DECISION! I literally have less than 15 hours to answer. Any input is appreciated

how did you find out about the stipend and gym access? have you already gotten something in the mail?? *anxiously waiting*

For LA...The stipend, its says on the site. The gym access, I think it mentioned somewhere on the SMDEP site of the school. I already got my SMDEP packet from UCLA :)

Hey everyone

I got accepted to both Case Western and UMDNJ.
I live in NYC, so UMDNJ seems better location-wise (I like to go back home for the weekend).
But I have no idea which program is better/which would look better come med school application time.

SO PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME MAKE A DECISION! I literally have less than 15 hours to answer. Any input is appreciated

I think SMDEP in general looks good on your application. Have you tried going to the SMDEP site and comparing the curriculum of the the two sites? That might help. Good luck!

For LA...The stipend, its says on the site. The gym access, I think it mentioned somewhere on the SMDEP site of the school. I already got my SMDEP packet from UCLA :)

Hey Avaldez2010 and ella89, see you at UCLA as well! :) Where did you guys go on the SMDEP site to find the $600 stipend for UCLA? The only thing I see for UCLA is the distribution schedule not the amount.

Just confirmed to go to Yale for this summer for SMDEP.

Hey Avaldez2010 and ella89, see you at UCLA as well! :) Where did you guys go on the SMDEP site to find the $600 stipend for UCLA? The only thing I see for UCLA is the distribution schedule not the amount.

Oh hey echen! Can't wait to meet you guys. I might have seen it somewhere else, but did you get the email for the UCLA SMDEP packet already? It states in there how much we will be getting. I was so excited when I got the email yesterday :D

Is there a UCLA SMDEP 2011 group on facebook?

Oh hey echen! Can't wait to meet you guys. I might have seen it somewhere else, but did you get the email for the UCLA SMDEP packet already? It states in there how much we will be getting. I was so excited when I got the email yesterday :D

Yeah, they just sent me the revised packet today with the revised stipend amount of $600. I'm excited too! I look forward to meet you guys as well! It's going to be an awesome summer! :soexcited:Hahahah

Last edited:
Yeah, they just sent me the revised packet today with the revised stipend amount of $600. I'm excited too! I look forward to meet you guys as well! It's going to be an awesome summer! :soexcited:Hahahah

I haven't gotten the 2nd email yet, or the package.. :( Did you guys confirm directly with UCLA or just with the SMDEP main office?

Where are all you guys coming from? I'm so excited :D

I haven't gotten the 2nd email yet, or the package.. :( Did you guys confirm directly with UCLA or just with the SMDEP main office?

Where are all you guys coming from? I'm so excited :D

I don't think we're going to get a package in the mail, I just got the email. For the second email I had to send them a question regarding the stipend info and they sent me the revised one. I confirmed with the SMDEP main office AND UCLA. You should contact them through email or phone to get everything sorted out. I'm from LA by the way. :) What about you?

Confirmed with UMDNJ!!!

So psyched for this summer.
Cant wait to meet you everyone in Jersey. Anyone start a FB page?

Any juniors get into SMDEP?? I know it mostly a sophomore/freshman program?

Any juniors get into SMDEP?? I know it mostly a sophomore/freshman program?

To be honest they are VERY strict about this being a freshman and sophomore only program to the extent that if you apply and lets say you are 2nd year with Junior credit status. You cannot be considered for the program. sorry.

I don't think we're going to get a package in the mail, I just got the email. For the second email I had to send them a question regarding the stipend info and they sent me the revised one. I confirmed with the SMDEP main office AND UCLA. You should contact them through email or phone to get everything sorted out. I'm from LA by the way. :) What about you?

I just emailed them, thanks. I'm from OC. I did a summer program at UCLA for a week last summer and it was amazing, so I'm hoping for another enlightening, amazing experience.

To be honest they are VERY strict about this being a freshman and sophomore only program to the extent that if you apply and lets say you are 2nd year with Junior credit status. You cannot be considered for the program. sorry.
Thank You for your response :)

I know how that feels! I'm going to email my director to encourage people to join the group when she sends out the emails congratulation everyone. You should try that too.

LOL as much as I'd love to make it active, I didn't create the group. :rolleyes:

Hmm. That link isn't working for me. Maybe because I'm on my phone?

No. I am pretty sure everyone on this forum has advanced placement credit. I am registered as a 1st semester junior because of AP and Yale accepted me.

Daaang we are all from around here. I'm from RC :cool:. I also confirmed with UCLA way back, both by calling and confirming through email. I saw the UCLA SMDEP site, we should try to make it more active by just going on and stuff. I was going to say just chat here...but I don't think that would be good haha. :laugh: qwe7791, did you confirm at UCLA?

No. I am pretty sure everyone on this forum has advanced placement credit. I am registered as a 1st semester junior because of AP and Yale accepted me.

They do not include AP credits when they consider class status. IF you were junior status from credits taken in college and/or junior college, they would not accept you. I thought I had too many credits but they don't include AP so I made it.

Daaang we are all from around here. I'm from RC :cool:. I also confirmed with UCLA way back, both by calling and confirming through email. I saw the UCLA SMDEP site, we should try to make it more active by just going on and stuff. I was going to say just chat here...but I don't think that would be good haha. :laugh: qwe7791, did you confirm at UCLA?

Yeah! Go bruins