SMP- career change or record enhancer ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moose616

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am 24 year old female with a bachelors degree in biology from a small liberal arts school. I selected my school because of its "good pre-medical program" --read very small classes with bell curves and professors bent on weeding students out to keep the percentages up for successful med school apps. I also boozed a bit too much. My cumulative gpa from undergrad is 3.01. I have Cs in gen chem 1 and 2. Early life goal was med school but I was enjoying college and very distracted-- I graduated at 21 knowing I would have to take more school before applying ---

I immediately started with ochem and physics at a school 30 min away 2 days a week right after moving into my own place for the first time and working full time as a waitress. Didn't make it to office hours/hadn't taken math in 3 years/more bad excuses here. Needless to say it was too much and I withdrew from physics and made a C in ochem.

Then I stared pa pre reqs and was unsuccessful in my first attempt-- I needed a upper level cell bio so I registered at another school and ended up in a 4000 level grad school class because of poor advising at the college and the class rocked my world.. Another c. (My last 2 years in undergrad in my bio degree was all B+ for immunology, genetics, Etc)

While taking classes at community college I have a 4.0 in anatomy, algebra, other pre nursing/ pa sociology courses. I have run myself in circles taking PA pre req classes and now trying nursing pre reqs just to get something going for myself and thinking I was in a rush to get finished. I have worked with both of these and I realize I should stay the course and pursue DO.

2.5 yeas after graduation I am a full time server and hating myself. I am enrolled for EMT-b and applying for jobs in the emergency department.

Over the years I have been to India for a month to volunteer in rural medicine 2011 and I have spent 2 summers in Peru with medical mission trips 2007/2008.

Point of all of this: I know I need an SMP.
My history shows a trend toward medical education but I'm missing ochem 2 and physics all together. I need to retake/ replace my early C pre req grades. Can I apply to "career change" SMPs or do I need to focus on "record improvement" ? I feel like I'm 50 / 50 between the two but I really prefer a career change with opportunity to retake gen chem and complete a smp with great gpa. One thing I know--- I am so much smarter than my gpa - I can pin point my mistakes to not turning in small assignments and trying to study last min for exams my first two years bc I did so well in high school never studying - I graduated 50 out of 700 in high school. I'm just worried that my first 2 random semesters of non degree seeking courses with Cs is going to ruin the claim "I have grown up and changed my ways"

Thanks for reading this novel--- any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Also if I need to move this to another thread -- I apologize for wasting time. I'm new to this message board stuff

I recommend doing more research before allowing yourself confidence about any opinion on low GPA redemption.

Look for the postbac forum. You'll find there's a thread with about 750,000 views where low GPA options are discussed. Read the whole thread, all 8 years of it. Really. Then read lots more threads. Read the reapplicant forum to find out what mistakes to avoid.

Best of luck to you.

Suggest taking the remaining pre-reqs and re-taking any F/D/C science coursework, either at a local CC or any local college, and if you can ace these classes, only then think about an SMP.

Hello all!

I am 24 year old female with a bachelors degree in biology from a small liberal arts school. I selected my school because of its "good pre-medical program" --read very small classes with bell curves and professors bent on weeding students out to keep the percentages up for successful med school apps. I also boozed a bit too much. My cumulative gpa from undergrad is 3.01. I have Cs in gen chem 1 and 2. Early life goal was med school but I was enjoying college and very distracted-- I graduated at 21 knowing I would have to take more school before applying ---

I immediately started with ochem and physics at a school 30 min away 2 days a week right after moving into my own place for the first time and working full time as a waitress. Didn't make it to office hours/hadn't taken math in 3 years/more bad excuses here. Needless to say it was too much and I withdrew from physics and made a C in ochem.

Then I stared pa pre reqs and was unsuccessful in my first attempt-- I needed a upper level cell bio so I registered at another school and ended up in a 4000 level grad school class because of poor advising at the college and the class rocked my world.. Another c. (My last 2 years in undergrad in my bio degree was all B+ for immunology, genetics, Etc)

While taking classes at community college I have a 4.0 in anatomy, algebra, other pre nursing/ pa sociology courses. I have run myself in circles taking PA pre req classes and now trying nursing pre reqs just to get something going for myself and thinking I was in a rush to get finished. I have worked with both of these and I realize I should stay the course and pursue DO.

2.5 yeas after graduation I am a full time server and hating myself. I am enrolled for EMT-b and applying for jobs in the emergency department.

Over the years I have been to India for a month to volunteer in rural medicine 2011 and I have spent 2 summers in Peru with medical mission trips 2007/2008.

Point of all of this: I know I need an SMP.
My history shows a trend toward medical education but I'm missing ochem 2 and physics all together. I need to retake/ replace my early C pre req grades. Can I apply to "career change" SMPs or do I need to focus on "record improvement" ? I feel like I'm 50 / 50 between the two but I really prefer a career change with opportunity to retake gen chem and complete a smp with great gpa. One thing I know--- I am so much smarter than my gpa - I can pin point my mistakes to not turning in small assignments and trying to study last min for exams my first two years bc I did so well in high school never studying - I graduated 50 out of 700 in high school. I'm just worried that my first 2 random semesters of non degree seeking courses with Cs is going to ruin the claim "I have grown up and changed my ways"

Thanks for reading this novel--- any advice would be great.