[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notyouraverageapplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I have been looking into applying to SMP programs, but I need help compiling an SMP list with the following criteria:
- 1 year program
- automatic interview to medical school after first semester/first year completion
- NOT for disadvantaged/minority backgrounds

Thanks in advance!

Any luck? I am in your shoes! tell me what list helped you most please and where/how you decided to apply. Have you already started?

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple is the ONLY school with such linkage, but it is competitive. The usual accepted applicants have around a 3.5 cGPA and around a 509 MCAT. They get around 2000 applicants for 35 spots and, if you get at least a 3.5 GPA and a 30 on the MCAT (I think that is a 508/509 anyway,) then you have an automatic spot in the medical school (your interview for the SMP counts as the medical school interview.)

Other notable programs that have a linkage, but no *real* guarantee (PLEASE NOTE: THIS LIST IS NOT COMPREHENSIVE) :
  • Cincinnati
  • Georgetown
  • Tulane
  • Tufts
Great programs that get people into their own medical school, but don't have any linkages/guarantees in (PLEASE NOTE: THIS LIST IS NOT COMPREHENSIVE) :
  • Brown MAMS
  • Mississippi College
  • Loyola MSMS
  • Drexel (9 different programs, but be wary of this school; I have heard very mixed reviews)
Once again, SDN is your friend. Comb through a lot of threads on the postbacc forum and complete a list that you think you're a.) competitive for and b.) will provide the necessary tools that will get you an acceptance. Please note that a good amount of state schools reward intervention through these programs if you can do well. DO schools also look at these in a very positive light, especially if you do their own program and do extraordinarily well. Another informal rule is if you can find a program at the SOM, then it is way better than just some graduate school institution. The best programs have cadavers for anatomy lab. A notable exception to those two rules is Mississippi College: it isn't a medical school, but does have a cadaver lab.

I have to stress this too. SMP's are a last-ditch effort. If you screw up here, you won't get in. Nothing below a 3.75 (SDN consensus.) Some programs will want you to exceed and others just want that check from your bank account. Make sure you have to heart, will, and mental fortitude to complete this program, as it is just like medical school. The classes are hard and teach at the same pace as medical school. Some programs are curved (double-edge sword) and some are not. Brown MAMS is not curved, but I believe Drexel does curve.

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing below 3.75? SDN consensus is definitely wrong on that one. If you get a 3.5 and 30 MCAT you get an automatic interview at the medical school associated with my program at Rutgers. I'd say 3.7+ to feel really secure. But "nothing below 3.75" has no basis in reality.

you should add Rutgers GSBS to your list. I'm in it now. Cheaper than most options even out of state. Option to complete in a single year or 30 years, you choose. It has good linkage with NJMS and I've known a lot of people get into their professional school of choice so far (MD, DMD, DDS, DO). The advising on the medical scholars side is really good (not so much on the dental side but all my friends have gotten into dental school so oh well).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Loyola MAMS and MSMP guarantee an interview if you get above a 3.6 in the program and have at least a 507 MCAT. However, interview does not equal acceptance by any means, Temple is the only one that guarantees an acceptance. Also, guaranteed interview is for after the program so you would still have a gap year after completing the program.

I have never heard of Brown MAMS, I think the poster may have meant Boston MAMS.

The NYMC AMP program seems to be pretty good as well. You take classes with the med students and it's a small program in which many of the students get accepted to the medical school if they do well in the program and have an acceptable MCAT (508+).

Tulane you need to have been waitlisted at a medical school, MD or DO, to apply.

Disclosure: I haven't done any of these programs, just some information I've found on their websites, here and other online sources.

Once again, my knowledge is limited. I've only visited the postbacc subforum a few times. When I did visit, the opinions laid out by the current/former students were varied unless you were talking about Temple, Tufts, Boston, and MC. Drexel had some good, some bad (but there are about 9 programs, so idk about that.) The one that I saw to avoid was EVMS, where they pretty much just take all of your money. But once again, n=1. Do your research OP.

My "3.75 SDN consensus" mainly came from Goro from several threads like this posted here.