SMP.. Wait or Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zidanne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to plan my next year and I don't know what to do. My goal has been to get into MD school but I have a bad record and need some time to enhance my stats before applying. By the end of this semester (in 2 weeks):

cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.0
MCAT: 27 (Definitely going to retake)

I have an upward trend, have gotten all A's last semester as well as this semester with a high course load of upper division science courses. Decent ECs. I know I'm very late (in terms of application due dates), but that's because my initial plan was to stay as an undergrad for an additional year (I'm a 5th year senior). But now I think SMPs are a better idea. Am I competitive for SMPs? Which ones do I have a better chance at in your opinion? Since they're mostly rolling admission, should I forget about it now and apply for ones with spring matriculation? Should I just take undergrad courses?

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

you need to do both.

a 5th year of undergrad is fairly high yield because it nontrivially affects your cumulative undergrad GPA.

It's WAY too late to think about a worthwhile SMP for the coming fall. School starts in about 3 months.

Regardless, from a 3.0 and a 27, you aren't ready to succeed in an SMP, and even if you do, SMPs aren't magic erasers. Your post-SMP MD app year would be humiliating.

so do both, and spend the next 3 months prepping for your one and only MCAT retake, which will get you ready to apply to good SMPs while you finish strong in undergrad.

best of luck to you.

you need to do both.

a 5th year of undergrad is fairly high yield because it nontrivially affects your cumulative undergrad GPA.

It's WAY too late to think about a worthwhile SMP for the coming fall. School starts in about 3 months.

Regardless, from a 3.0 and a 27, you aren't ready to succeed in an SMP, and even if you do, SMPs aren't magic erasers. Your post-SMP MD app year would be humiliating.

so do both, and spend the next 3 months prepping for your one and only MCAT retake, which will get you ready to apply to good SMPs while you finish strong in undergrad.

best of luck to you.
Thanks a lot. This sounds like the safe way to go.

you need to do both.

best of luck to you.

That's exactly what I did and I got into a SMP. 2.6 undergrad gpa and 2.45ish science with a chem degree. Then I did my second degree in bio and have a 3.8 cum and 3.8 science gpa. I know for a fact my post-bac helped me get in as I got an email from Barry University telling me that the admission committee was willing to accept me because of my significant improvement in my post-bac. I won't be attending Barry though since I got into Rutgers SMP. Do the post-bac then apply to SMP's. You're on the right track with A's in your last semester and now though. Keep it up!!

Reactions: 1 users