SMPs and waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punkun

yeah yeah
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to med school this year, and I got one interview, which turned into one waitlist. I got news of the waitlist after I applied to a few SMP programs. I am wondering whether or not I should update the SMP's on this info.

On one hand, being on a waitlist shows that I am not a total long-shot for med school one day.

On the other, I don't want the SMP's to pass me by because they think I don't need them or something? While I definitely would choose the med school over SMP, I don't want that to be a deciding factor for them because I feel like getting in this year is improbable for me at this point.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

So I applied to med school this year, and I got one interview, which turned into one waitlist. I got news of the waitlist after I applied to a few SMP programs. I am wondering whether or not I should update the SMP's on this info.

On one hand, being on a waitlist shows that I am not a total long-shot for med school one day.

On the other, I don't want the SMP's to pass me by because they think I don't need them or something? While I definitely would choose the med school over SMP, I don't want that to be a deciding factor for them because I feel like getting in this year is improbable for me at this point.

What should I do?

Don't update them about a waitlist. SMPs know that you're trying to get into med school; they expect you to withdraw if you are accepted to a medical school. Besides, if your application is good enough to get an interview, it's likely you'll get into most SMPs.