So...anyone else with nothing meaningful to talk about for the supplemental ERAS? Applying IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southwestpremed06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
IM applicant. Decent scores for communiversity/community programs.

Did some random volunteering here and there before COVID hit and everything was cancelled. By the time things returned to normal I was busy with third year stuff, boards and life. I have nothing meaningful to put on this supplemental app other than stuff I did in undergrad. Please tell me I'm not alone lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
You. Are. Not. Alone.

It is really difficult to come up with things. Let alone 5 experiences.

Hard bump lol.

Also can there be overlap between your supplemental and personal statement? No idea what I'm going to do otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Meaningful Experience Essay
Reflect on the experience and explain:
• Why the experience was meaningful and how it influenced you.
• Weave in the focus area or characteristic you tagged. (300-character limit)

300 characters? Seriously? :annoyed:

Y’all writin’ TWO essays for no one to read, now?

Reactions: 2 users
Y’all writin’ TWO essays for no one to read, now?
Yup :(

It's up to 5 experiences. I think I'll probably only write 3. The good thing is its a max of 300 characters which is only a couple of sentences so it's not too bad

Med student: *Submits ERAS app with an orderly chronological list of every life achievement. Has letter writers submit effusive recommendation essays detailing why they think they’ll be an exceptional physician. Then writes an additional supplemental essay to provide even more information for residency programs. Writes glowing personal statement detailing all motivation from childhood to present day that motivates him/her to pursue medicine. It starts raining on that day because Jesus read it and wept.*

Residency programs: *sorts apps by board scores and location*

Interviewer on interview day: “So tell me about yourself. Looks like you, uh…*checks notes* are a medical student.”
Yup :(

It's up to 5 experiences. I think I'll probably only write 3. The good thing is its a max of 300 characters which is only a couple of sentences so it's not too bad

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users