So by the "April 30th" deadline, they mean...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AQPremed66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dumb question perhaps, but my friend and I disagree on what the traffic deadline of "April 30th" really means. Do we need to drop all acceptances but one by midnight April 31st (aka late in the night of April 30th) or by midnight April 30th (aka late in the night of April 29th)?

Or are we both just neurotic pre-meds and it really doesn't matter because they're not going to be that strict on the whole thing anyway?

(I suspect the third option, but an expert opinion would be nice)

Members don't see this ad.

Dumb question perhaps, but my friend and I disagree on what the traffic deadline of "April 30th" really means. Do we need to drop all acceptances but one by midnight April 31st (aka late in the night of April 30th) or by midnight April 30th (aka late in the night of April 29th)?

Or are we both just neurotic pre-meds and it really doesn't matter because they're not going to be that strict on the whole thing anyway?

(I suspect the third option, but an expert opinion would be nice)
Pretty sure by end of day April 30th you can only hold one acceptance. Also April 31st doesn't exist, so there's that

Reactions: 42 users
Ha! My bad. The finals studying has finally scrambled what brains I have left. I meant May 1st, not April 31st, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good five days to decide. Just decide and go to medical school. Not life or death.

Reactions: 1 users
This may have already been asked, but how does the process work if you commit to one school by April 30th but get off the waitlist to a school after this date?

This may have already been asked, but how does the process work if you commit to one school by April 30th but get off the waitlist to a school after this date?
At that point, you can drop the original commit if you desire.

You will get about two weeks to decide between them (at this point).

How about this: just decide by April 29th and be done with it. That one extra day isn't going to provide you with magical insight.

True enough. But the issue is mostly that I'm still waiting on financial aid info from one place.

True enough. But the issue is mostly that I'm still waiting on financial aid info from one place.
I too have this question because I am waiting on a reevaluation of my financial aid package from my top choice school... which may not be ready until the end of the day on April 30...

This would be considered a reasonable explanation for holding two acceptances.

Should I email the schools letting them know the situation, or should I just hold onto both and then if anyone contacts me asking what's going on, tell them then?

Should I email the schools letting them know the situation, or should I just hold onto both and then if anyone contacts me asking what's going on, tell them then?
You'll get a few days before anyone will start to wonder. If they call, just let them know.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get a few days before anyone will start to wonder. If they call, just let them know.

One of my schools mentioned that they wouldn't know about need-based aid until mid-June/July, and have not provided me with any financial aid information except for loans. I'm sure holding onto two acceptances until then would be very bad! I come from a very low-income family and have received need-based aid at every other school that I have applied to thus far, and will have to withdraw from the school due to finances. I'm guessing there's nothing that can be done in this situation, correct? I've contacted admissions/fin aid with my situation already, so I guess they don't want me badly enough to give me some extra info regarding financial aid. Just want to make sure I've done everything I can within reason before I withdraw next week.

But they would call and let you know, correct? They wouldn't just randomly rescind your admission and be like "lol good luck next year" - in the event that a school had forgot to report you withdrew from them or something?

Reactions: 1 user
But they would call and let you know, correct? They wouldn't just randomly rescind your admission and be like "lol good luck next year" - in the event that a school had forgot to report you withdrew from them or something?
That's not likely.

One of my schools mentioned that they wouldn't know about need-based aid until mid-June/July, and have not provided me with any financial aid information except for loans. I'm sure holding onto two acceptances until then would be very bad! I come from a very low-income family and have received need-based aid at every other school that I have applied to thus far, and will have to withdraw from the school due to finances. I'm guessing there's nothing that can be done in this situation, correct? I've contacted admissions/fin aid with my situation already, so I guess they don't want me badly enough to give me some extra info regarding financial aid. Just want to make sure I've done everything I can within reason before I withdraw next week.
You have done everything right.

I literally cannot decide between two schools (Rosalind Frankling and Penn State). I have absolutely NO idea what to do. What if we do not email one of the schools by this Thursday and decline our acceptance? Would both schools take away my acceptance? Can they even tell? I am only asking because I have no idea how this works... and I also have no idea which school to choose :(. I want to stay in Chi, but penn state is probably the better choice...or so that is what people are telling me.

I literally cannot decide between two schools (Rosalind Frankling and Penn State). I have absolutely NO idea what to do. What if we do not email one of the schools by this Thursday and decline our acceptance? Would both schools take away my acceptance? Can they even tell? I am only asking because I have no idea how this works... and I also have no idea which school to choose :(. I want to stay in Chi, but penn state is probably the better choice...or so that is what people are telling me.
Just pick one. You won't receive any magical insight before Thursday. See above, they can take away acceptances if you are indecisive and really don't have a reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on how long you've been accepted to both, I'd say you've had more than enough time to make a list of pros and cons and decide which one to attend. Pick one now and drop the other. Waiting 2 more days at this point will literally not do you any good.

Well, you have to pick one of them. It's not exactly fair to the people sitting on the waitlist with no acceptances for you to ask for more time to decide when you've already had a month or two. Think long and hard in the next two days.

Reactions: 2 users
Being more neurotic, if you sent a withdrawal email and they do not respond and it is the 30th, I should call right lololol?

I have a deadline question too!

I'm accepted at NYU and was hoping to have a shot at one of their full-ride scholarships. I'm also accepted to another, comparable school with a smaller scholarship.

I didn't get a scholarship at NYU the first time around. The FinAid office at NYU said that, after April 30th, they're expecting a lot of these scholarships to go "back on the market" as students withdraw. However, by then, I will have had to withdraw from NYU, precisely because I can't choose it over my other school unless I get that scholarship.

Am I just out of luck in that respect? It seems weird that I'd have to withdraw from my top choice school when there is technically still the possibility of me getting a full ride there...

pick rosalind franklin b/c I'm on the waitlist for penn state ;)