MD & DO So frustrated. Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takingforever123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for general advice. Not sure about the direction I should take.

BA in Psych. I took several Bio and math courses (why did I do this to myself?). 157 cred hours with a 2.2 cGPA, 1.41 sGPA, and 2.63 aoGPA. Life happened, found interest in medicine.

Doing post-bac. Predicting (I'm half way through at 40 hours) a 3.8 GPA. This GPA is almost exclusively science and math - Biochem, Gen Chem, Calc I and II, Neurobio, Genetics, Neuropharm, Gen Bio Lab, Neuroscience, Organic, Stats, Physics, Cell Bio. You get the idea.

I will only have ~2.76 cGPA, 2.73 sGPA, and 2.8 aoGPA when finished.

-Alzheimer's Association volunteer
-EEG technician at local hospital
-Interested in Neuro
-Current FL res., KY residency possible
-27-28 at time of application
-MCAT predictive scores have been high.

Is it time to throw in the towel for MD and DO programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Post your MCAT score here when available. You may have a chance for some DO schools depending on your score.

Reactions: 1 user
There are MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention, if you can ace the MCAT (513+ for MD, say 509+ for DO).

Just looking for general advice. Not sure about the direction I should take.

BA in Psych. I took several Bio and math courses (why did I do this to myself?). 157 cred hours with a 2.2 cGPA, 1.41 sGPA, and 2.63 aoGPA. Life happened, found interest in medicine.

Doing post-bac. Predicting (I'm half way through at 40 hours) a 3.8 GPA. This GPA is almost exclusively science and math - Biochem, Gen Chem, Calc I and II, Neurobio, Genetics, Neuropharm, Gen Bio Lab, Neuroscience, Organic, Stats, Physics, Cell Bio. You get the idea.

I will only have ~2.76 cGPA, 2.73 sGPA, and 2.8 aoGPA when finished.

-Alzheimer's Association volunteer
-EEG technician at local hospital
-Interested in Neuro
-Current FL res., KY residency possible
-27-28 at time of application
-MCAT predictive scores have been high.

Is it time to throw in the towel for MD and DO programs?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro and @Faha - If I get a 513 or above, which schools should I target? Considering KY residency again and applying to UK and UL. Any other MDs? How about USF or UF? I don't even know where to start with DO. I would love AZCOM, but I've heard it's very difficult to gain an acceptance. Looked at LECOM-Bradenton (I've heard some of our big name hospitals aren't offering residencies to students from their program any longer though). Should I take any additional classes after my post-bac for the very minimal GPA boost? It just seems like diminishing returns at this point. Will I need to consider an SMP?

I don't think that you need an SMP. One more semester of advanced classes while you're applying can't hurt.

At this point in time, it's no longer about raising your GPA, but showing sustained academic excellence and that the you of now is not the you of then.

Yes, go for all FL and KY schools. Also consider

Albany
NYMC
BU
Drexel
Temple
Rosy F
Tulane
GWU
Gtown

@Goro and @Faha - If I get a 513 or above, which schools should I target? Considering KY residency again and applying to UK and UL. Any other MDs? How about USF or UF? I don't even know where to start with DO. I would love AZCOM, but I've heard it's very difficult to gain an acceptance. Looked at LECOM-Bradenton (I've heard some of our big name hospitals aren't offering residencies to students from their program any longer though). Should I take any additional classes after my post-bac for the very minimal GPA boost? It just seems like diminishing returns at this point. Will I need to consider an SMP?