So how do they confirm URM status? And how do my stats look for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strife7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a 517 on the MCAT, and my sGPA is a 3.2 cGPA is a 3.3 I go to the University of North Carolina, and I'm half Mexican half Iranian. I speak a little bit of both languages (I'm by no means fluent) and I look like a mix of the two ethnicities, so I don't know if that matters. My last name comes from the Iranian side and my middle name could really be either (More well known for Mexican). Major is Biology and I have a chemistry minor as well as a neuroscience minor. I wasn't really thinking about med school until now and I'm not sure where I should be applying. I doubt any top tier would want me, but can any of you let me know what mid tier schools I'd have a good chance at? I've got 300 hours of volunteer work, and have been working in an insect bio lab about 10 hours a week since January. I've shadowed MD doctors for at least 100 hours.

Do I have a shot at any MD schools? I'd rather not go to a DO school simply because I don't really like the locations of any of them. If any of you guys have any suggestions, please let me know! I don't even know where to begin applying.

But just for fun, if I were to decide on going through the DO route, what are my chances there? Would I have a shot at somewhere like that school Western University? That's really the only one I'd consider just because I like the location.

Members don't see this ad.

Spanish speaking skills and service to your community(Mexican) is what will give you a "boost" in the process if you were to receive any

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools don't try to confirm that you're URM. And you don't need to speak Spanish to be considered URM. It's up to you to self-report your race/ethnicity and then medical schools will decide how that factors into their assessment of your application. So in your case, it's up to you whether you want to self-identify as Hispanic because of your Mexican heritage.

You may want to head over to the What Are My Chances forum for a more in-depth discussion of your application. But from the looks of it, your GPA is a bit low for MD programs. You may need to work on boosting it a bit, if you really want to go the MD route. But there are DO schools all over the country! Do a bit more research. MSAR is one good place to start for MD programs. It'll give you a sense of what the average matriculant's MCAT/GPA are at each school.

EDIT: You can find more info about DO schools here: http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/us-coms

Unless you had a massive upward trend in your GPA, your stats are lethal for MD schools. You'd get an II from mine (and other DO schools) but the disconnect between GPA and MCAT would be asked about, and the low sGPA is a concern. I think you're below the cutoff for KCU and CUSOM on that sGPA.

Beggars can't be choosy, y'know.

Adcoms at MD schools will want to see evidence of committee and service to the Hispanic community.

So I got a 517 on the MCAT, and my sGPA is a 3.2 cGPA is a 3.3 I go to the University of North Carolina, and I'm half Mexican half Iranian. I speak a little bit of both languages (I'm by no means fluent) and I look like a mix of the two ethnicities, so I don't know if that matters. My last name comes from the Iranian side and my middle name could really be either (More well known for Mexican). Major is Biology and I have a chemistry minor as well as a neuroscience minor. I wasn't really thinking about med school until now and I'm not sure where I should be applying. I doubt any top tier would want me, but can any of you let me know what mid tier schools I'd have a good chance at? I've got 300 hours of volunteer work, and have been working in an insect bio lab about 10 hours a week since January. I've shadowed MD doctors for at least 100 hours.

Do I have a shot at any MD schools? I'd rather not go to a DO school simply because I don't really like the locations of any of them. If any of you guys have any suggestions, please let me know! I don't even know where to begin applying.

But just for fun, if I were to decide on going through the DO route, what are my chances there? Would I have a shot at somewhere like that school Western University? That's really the only one I'd consider just because I like the location.

I speak spanish pretty well, just not fluently or anything. I don't really hang out amongst the community, but I can next semester I suppose.

It will vary from school to school how they view you but it is probably the best idea to bank on not getting much "boost" for your race. Historically, about half of 3.2/35 applicants who applied got an acceptance. A number of these successful applicants will have done an SMP/have a strong upward trend so that number can be somewhat misleading but you do have some chance.

Your chances could be tied in some way as what state you are a resident of. Likewise, how much of college do you have left? If you can get about 3 semesters of strong grades, even at hte UG level, that could make an enormous difference for you.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're Hispanic, black, disabled, low income... you're an automatic URM.

That's not racist at all :rolleyes:

I identify as Hispanic and I didn't check the box to be considered as URM.

Reactions: 1 users
That's not racist at all.

I identify as Hispanic and I didn't check the box to be considered as URM.
Racist? Lol I'm a URM. Ummm if you don't want to be considered a URM then that's fine, but I'm definitely checking that box off.

Reactions: 4 users
Wait, the choice is mine? What happened to "automatic URM"?

Wait, the choice is mine? What happened to "automatic URM"?
Well if you don't want to check it off then fine, but being Hispanic does classify you as a URM soooo. I mean if you're European Hispanic then cool or Hispanic without a low income bracket then cool.

Last edited:
Insider secret: Your admissions interviewer will start a conversation about the latest albums to receive "best new music" on Pitchfork. If you've heard of any of them, they'll make you down as white.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Chances decent for MD and great for all DO.

Just asking, as someone that does have a significant upward trend. I'm at a 3.4 cGPA (without grade replacement, with it I'm at a 3.6) as a senior. Freshman year I got a 1.81 due to a lot of family issues, but I've maintained a 3.93 in the last three and a half years. Black female. Do you think this will hold me back a lot in the MD app cycle?

You're golden with that info. Aim high.

Just asking, as someone that does have a significant upward trend. I'm at a 3.4 cGPA (without grade replacement, with it I'm at a 3.6) as a senior. Freshman year I got a 1.81 due to a lot of family issues, but I've maintained a 3.93 in the last three and a half years. Black female. Do you think this will hold me back a lot in the MD app cycle?

Is this true? Is SES weighed equally to URM status? I never checked off the SES box but my family was borderline destitute (<$15,000/yr) until my junior year, when we barely broke poverty (~$28,000).

I never checked off SES because I never felt that my education was impacted by my parents' income. I got to torrent any PDFs I needed, the library was always open at my state UG, fin aid and scholarships kept me afloat, and overall I don't think my education would've been much different if my parents made an extra $100,000/yr. I feel that SES should be reserved for those who actually suffered from financial struggle, such as being the sole breadwinner and having to work a full-time job, or being homeless in college. But if you lived a normal life, went out for an occasional meal with friends, were able to go to classes, volunteer, and socialize without having to worry about your family's financial situation, I don't think that's the type of SES "disadvantage" schools are looking for.

ya I don't think that is something you can really check in a database or something

if there were, less people may be clicking it...

I would be totally on board if they were allowed to ask the question, "Why do you consider yourself disadvantaged?" to someone that checked that box on the AMCAS. I would also be totally okay if they were allowed to ask, "Why do you identify as [minority/URM group]?" if the applicant checked such a race/ethnicity.

Is this true? Is SES weighed equally to URM status? I never checked off the SES box but my family was borderline destitute (<$15,000/yr) until my junior year, when we barely broke poverty (~$28,000).

I never checked off SES because I never felt that my education was impacted by my parents' income. I got to torrent any PDFs I needed, the library was always open at my state UG, fin aid and scholarships kept me afloat, and overall I don't think my education would've been much different if my parents made an extra $100,000/yr. I feel that SES should be reserved for those who actually suffered from financial struggle, such as being the sole breadwinner and having to work a full-time job, or being homeless in college. But if you lived a normal life, went out for an occasional meal with friends, were able to go to classes, volunteer, and socialize without having to worry about your family's financial situation, I don't think that's the type of SES "disadvantage" schools are looking for.

You could have checked SES. This is something that is ultimately up to you to decide, and medical schools can discern whether or not you fit their criteria for "disadvantaged." However, I would strongly suggest anyone that has been brought up in a low SES family or suffered any financial hardships whatsoever during college to check this box, even if they do not personally feel "disadvantaged." Based on your parental income and educational history, AMCAS can determine your SES status. Anyone with a low SES is likely to be able to make a convincing argument in their disadvantaged status statement on AMCAS because SES, disability, etc. can have a huge impact on your education from an early age. Do not feel ashamed or modest to make a case for being disadvantaged. Just because others may be worse off than you are does not mean you didn't have to overcome adversity yourself to get where you are today. Medical schools want to hear this.

Reactions: 3 users

My education was/still is impacted by my parent income. Our household income is < $15,000/year. I never thought high school was important didn't know what I wanted to do with my life because I was never taught to get good grades or go to college. I was hurt when I asked my "what did you think I was going to do after high school?, did you even think about my future". She had a blank stare, that was the moment I realized we we're in poverty and she didn't education as a value in her household growing up she also graduated a year late from high school. I couldn't be mad at her, I started becoming mad with the world and depressed about finances. I still worry to this day of my finances will effect my chances of being a doctor. IF I make it as far as filling out med school apps, I will definately check the URM box off. This just reminded me, I owe $500 for tutuion. $500 is like $5000 to me. If I get this job that I'm going to be interviewed at ttomorrow, then I'll be taking home roughly $200 after taxes/week(part time 25 hours/week) plus money for transportation for me to get to the job then I'll have little money for paying off my tution and I have to pay it off all at once, so I'm in a dark hole right now. I can't register for classes because my account is on hold(unpaid $500) and seats are filling up rapidly.

No offense cause I'm a half black female, you'll most likely get in(not top tier like Harvard) but you should be able to get interview by a couple of middle tier schools. They want diversity. Good luck. A white student with these stats would be better off aiming for a low tier school or none at all.

Insider secret: Your admissions interviewer will start a conversation about the latest albums to receive "best new music" on Pitchfork. If you've heard of any of them, they'll make you down as white.
What if you're clearly black???

I would be totally on board if they were allowed to ask the question, "Why do you consider yourself disadvantaged?"

They essentially do don't they? If you click that box, they'll ask you to briefly describe what makes you disadvantaged.

No offense cause I'm a half black female, you'll most likely get in(not top tier like Harvard) but you should be able to get interview by a couple of middle tier schools. They want diversity. Good luck. A white student with these stats would be better off aiming for a low tier school or none at all.
Those are good enough for mid tier regardless of URM status with a decent MCAT.

Those are good enough for mid tier regardless of URM status with a decent MCAT.
Well well well look at you Mr.Know It All, If I had a 3.3 GPA and same MCAT uhhh lets say the old score of lets say 38 compared to a white person and the committee had to choose between me and that white person, who do you think is getting in??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I went overboard.

Last edited:
Well well well look at you Mr.Know It All, If I had a 3.3 GPA and same MCAT uhhh lets say the old score of lets say 38 compared to a white person and the committee had to choose between me and that white person, who do you think is getting in??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
There's generally not enough URM candidates competing to edge out all of the middle of the road apps out there, usually less than a handful per class. Given their upward trend (which many adcoms take into account), overall GPA, and MCAT (equivalent to a 32 on the old scale) they stand a pretty strong chance of admission at a mid-tier. Neglecting trends, they would have around a 50% chance of admission overall per the AAMC official tables.

There's generally not enough URM candidates competing to edge out all of the middle of the road apps out there, usually less than a handful per class. Given their upward trend (which many adcoms take into account), overall GPA, and MCAT (equivalent to a 32 on the old scale) they stand a pretty strong chance of admission at a mid-tier. Neglecting trends, they would have around a 50% chance of admission overall per the AAMC official tables.
you're correct, there isn't enough URM's applying anyway sooo I could see why they admit based off of race/ethnicity, income, disability, etc.

Last edited:
I'll just briefly explain why I am a URM. I consider myself black even though half black. I'm a female. Single parent household. Household makes < $15000/year. First generation. Caregiver for disabled parent. Etc Etc Etc. I was skeptical about putting this up cause its so typical in the black community.
cool_26e6f6_3018739.gif

Given that this isn't your WAMC thread, nobody cares.

We're not competing, we're in this together and here to provide support and advice to those that are trying to get a spot in medical school. Your story will certainly help your app, and so long as the numbers are right, you stand an extremely strong chance of admission.

Reactions: 4 users
cool_26e6f6_3018739.gif

Given that this isn't your WAMC thread, nobody cares.

We're not competing, we're in this together and here to provide support and advice to those that are trying to get a spot in medical school. Your story will certainly help your app, and so long as the numbers are right, you stand an extremely strong chance of admission.
Damn it Jack that was cold, you belittled me just now. I know you wouldn't care cause you're not black. Just the way of the world. Guess I'll make my own thread on this.

Social justice troll lol???? You're a supremacy troll, you said no one cares about my story. When those millions of black girls out their probably need someone like me to talk to them smh no consideration for the human race.
resize.php

Really though, ease back on the trolololololololing, you're not nearly subtle enough.

resize.php

Really though, ease back on the trolololololololing, you're not nearly subtle enough.
I'm not a troll, why the hell do I have to type fancy to not be a troll. I'm serious, you said no one cares about my story, that hurts because there are millions of black girls out there. You would never understand because you're in the majority of everything except poverty and single parent households.

So I applied this year with your numbers (3.4/3.2/35) and was successful even though Im a middle SES white dude. Actually got 9 MD interviews and was accepted to 4 allo schools. So with those numbers it CAN be done. But it is by no means guaranteed, and you'll have to apply very broadly. DO is much more realistic. Remember that if the goal is to become a doctor, you may have to spend several years living somewhere you dont like (be it MD or DO). If you craft a very strong personal statement and apply broadly to a large list of schools, you will have a strong chance.

I would suggest at least 15 MD and 10-15 DO. A few places that may serve you well are new schools, like hofstra, va tech, and oakland, some low yields like gtown and tulane, your state schools, and some hail marrys. Also apply to FIU (even though your OOS) because they give preference to hispanic students if you are interested in serving that community.

Best of luck and keep your head up!

I'm not a troll, why the hell do I have to type fancy to not be a troll. I'm serious, you said no one cares about my story, that hurts because there are millions of black girls out there. You would never understand because you're in the majority of everything except poverty and single parent households.

1) no one cares about your story here, since this is both not your WAMC and the OP isnt of the same community.
2) no one cares about your story since your ranting and raving like a social justice lunatic. I dont care what community you belong to, if you talk like that people will disregard everything you say

Do less

1) no one cares about your story here, since this is both not your WAMC and the OP isnt of the same community.
2) no one cares about your story since your ranting and raving like a social justice lunatic. I dont care what community you belong to, if you talk like that people will disregard everything you say
I agree you are so right. I really don't know what I was thinking. I'm such a social justice lunatic, I need to go tot therapy for it.

Actually there's more poor and single family white households (18.9 million) than there are black people living in poverty (10.9 million). It's not exactly something any race has a monopoly on. Same goes for single mothers. But I digress, your excess in outrage is tiring and your angle just isn't interesting enough for me to continue to engage.
latest

Feel free to start your own WAMC thread though, I think your story will serve you well come admission time.

Actually there's more poor and single family white households (18.9 million) than there are black people living in poverty (10.9 million). It's not exactly something any race has a monopoly on. Same goes for single mothers. But I digress, your excess in outrage is tiring and your angle just isn't interesting enough for me to continue to engage.
latest

Feel free to start your own WAMC thread though, I think your story will serve you well come admission time.
OMGGGGG lmaooooooooo, You know why its more white people in poverty, because white people are the majority. I've never laughed this hard in my life. The ratio of this is just.....I can't.

OMGGGGG lmaooooooooo, You know why its more white people in poverty, because white people are the majority. I've never laughed this hard in my life. The ratio of this is just.....I can't.
You said "majority." I was simply stating that is incorrect. Percentage wise, sure there are more black people in poverty. But majority is a numerical function of quantity, not one of percentages.

You said "majority." I was simply stating that is incorrect. Percentage wise, sure there are more black people in poverty. But majority is a numerical function of quantity, not one of percentages.
Damn it Jack. I said the "majority" because white persons are the majority of everything except poverty(percentage wise) and single parent households(percentage wise) I meant to put that in there. My apologies.

He's got you there, champ.

Damn it Jack that was cold, you belittled me just now. I know you wouldn't care cause you're not black. Just the way of the world. Guess I'll make my own thread on this.

Ummm...serious question here...are you really Black?