So I just failed Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I see how terrible of an attitude it is for I med student, this is exactly how I feel. I love every single one of my other classes, but there is something about anatomy that I just struggle with.
I like studying for anatomy, I just hate the way they test it. I enjoy studying the clinical aspects, the images, the arteries etc, but you know they are going to test little minutiae that just seems irrelevant. That's what irks me about anatomy. But I guess that is just the nature of the beast.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd hate it even more if it was all done in 8 weeks. The ones that I know that liked it done in 8 weeks and no more Anatomy teaching ever, were the ones who never really liked it in the first place and saw it more as an obstruction, rather than something to effectively learn.

My anatomy course was 7 weeks and I loved it. Favorite pre-clinical class. I do realize I'm in the minority, though.

I'm largely a kinesthetic learner, so the lab was immensely beneficial to my learning whereas it seems like most of my class dreaded dissecting. Nothing else in pre-clinical really lends itself to kinesthetic learning so I think that's why anatomy stands out as the best for me.

My anatomy course was 7 weeks and I loved it. Favorite pre-clinical class.
Well, your major was in Neuroscience so not surprising an ubersmart woman like yourself would like it, Mayim Bialik.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess what. I'm a second year and because my school has a curriculum that extends Anatomy up till about 1/3 of the way into 2nd year, I got to dissect Genitalia today. Literally torture (our bodies have been there since....drum roll please...... last october)

Speaking of which, I'll be learning to do the Female Pelvic Exam soon. I suppose it will be nice to catch up to the rest of the male population and see a clitoris IRL. I hear the actual exam is gross though.

Most people either love anatomy or hate it. Very few in betweeners with respect to that basic science subject.

I really hated the dissection part of the course. It was frustrating to work with the bodies and I felt like I didn't learn anything from them.

I know some medical schools have moved to prosections only, I think that's a better way to go about it. Through that, you spend more time actually learning and appreciating the body and less time cutting through fascia. For the surgeon wannabes (these people make me cringe) who "love to cut," I'm sure the school can work out some arrangement where they work with Ortho residents, PMR residents, or PT students to dissect, I used to see those guys in the lab all the time.

So it took you a year to do what most your class did in a few months?

Well, the funny thing is that most of the class doesn't do what I did in Gastro. I started not only showing up to class in the morning every day, but getting up early to review cases on certain days. The class attendance rate is ~25%. Most people in the class stay up late and watch lectures on 2x speed at home.

Also, there's no need to make such snide remarks. Struggling students often feel pretty bad about it, they need encouragement, not put-downs. I don't really care because I know that your words are false in my case, but someone else reading this may be in a similar position, and you have just hurt them with your words.

Last edited:
I really hated the dissection part of the course. It was frustrating to work with the bodies and I felt like I didn't learn anything from them.

I know some medical schools have moved to prosections only, I think that's a better way to go about it. Through that, you spend more time actually learning and appreciating the body and less time cutting through fascia. For the surgeon wannabes (these people make me cringe) who "love to cut," I'm sure the school can work out some arrangement where they work with Ortho residents, PMR residents, or PT students to dissect, I used to see those guys in the lab all the time.

Well, the funny thing is that most of the class doesn't do what I did in Gastro. I started not only showing up to class in the morning every day, but getting up early to review cases on certain days. The class attendance rate is ~25%. Most people in the class stay up late and watch lectures on 2x speed at home.

Also, there's no need to make such snide remarks. Struggling students often feel pretty bad about it, they need encouragement, not put-downs. I don't really care because I know that your words are false in my case, but someone else reading this may be in a similar position, and you have just hurt them with your words.
Well if you're going to be a surgeon, then I imagine dissection is pivotal. It also helps you appreciate superficial vs. deep structures. You're right though, prosections might be better for some, but there are people who think they're going into IM and then realize they want to do Surgery. Then what? They haven't dissected and now they want to be surgeons. If PT students are dissecting, med students should definitely be dissecting.

What's the difference between going to class vs. watching it on lecture? I'm not getting it. Do the lecture recordings not come out right after the lecture is over or streamed at the same time it's going on?

Reactions: 1 user
Speaking of which, I'll be learning to do the Female Pelvic Exam soon. I suppose it will be nice to catch up to the rest of the male population and see a clitoris IRL. I hear the actual exam is gross though.
Yes, you need to catch up in a lot of areas. Better late than never.

Most people either love anatomy or hate it. Very few in betweeners with respect to that basic science subject.

We are done with anatomy in a week and I never wanna see that crap again!

My anatomy course was 7 weeks and I loved it. Favorite pre-clinical class. I do realize I'm in the minority, though.

I'm largely a kinesthetic learner, so the lab was immensely beneficial to my learning whereas it seems like most of my class dreaded dissecting. Nothing else in pre-clinical really lends itself to kinesthetic learning so I think that's why anatomy stands out as the best for me.

Wait, this guy is a girl o_O

Reactions: 1 users

I imagine there will be a thread all about it.

Probably something aligning with the posts of Dr McSteamy :

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pelvic-exam.604811/

(especially with the borderline creepy/sexual thoughts that are already shining through)

Last edited:
If you keep it well-hydrated it will easily last that long. I used mine for the entire year, and the second half of ms1 was way more anatomy-heavy for me than the first half. I loved the way anatomy was taught at my school.

edit: I feel kind of weird referring to a cadaver as "it," but... it is what it is. Also twss.
I still frequently refer to children as "it" and that's far more weird and embarrassing. Especially when presenting and catching yourself and correcting yourself to refer to "it" as "the child". circa today. Ugh.

My school's anatomy class requires knowledge of reading X-Ray, CT and MRI(MRI especially in Neuro). The Final for anatomy there was 35 questions out 135 that were completely images: 90% CT and 10% Xray. I thought reading images were a requirement by all med schools.
Xrays were the gimmes.

I didn't hate or love anatomy. But I liked it less than everything else, except embryo. I disliked embryo most.

I still frequently refer to children as "it" and that's far more weird and embarrassing. Especially when presenting and catching yourself and correcting yourself to refer to "it" as "the child". circa today. Ugh.
I could totally see you doing that with this at the end:
y5tnGCl.gif

Contrary to what many might think, I think the way Anatomy is taught has a great impact on how well it's appreciated by medical students. The really good schools also incorporate viewing of imaging: X-ray, CT, MRI, etc. in Anatomy or even are able to incorporate Radiology residents into their Anatomy sessions. The ones that I know that teach all of Anatomy in 8 weeks, not surprisingly, tend to hate it the most.
We do practical live ultrasounds on each other that coincide with our anatomy topics. We also have a staff radiologist in labs that presents portions of our lectures/practicals and writes some questions for testing

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh boy. I hope ark makes a thread about doing pelvics.

Also i really enjoy anatomy. It's biochem that kills me

Reactions: 2 users
p8xcc1z.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Get a Lippincott's Biochem book. Done.
I have one. I'm just stupid at biochem. Thank god we are now onto the molecular genetics part of the course and I'm actually good at that. I just need to be able to pull it together for the final.

I have one. I'm just stupid at biochem. Thank god we are now onto the molecular genetics part of the course and I'm actually good at that. I just need to be able to pull it together for the final.
Weird. Bc Biochem is all memorization, just like Anatomy.

Weird. Bc Biochem is all memorization, just like Anatomy.
anatomy i can touch and feel and see the relationships between stuff. Biochem is all conceptual mumbogumbo and chemistry (which I'm embarrassingly horrible at. For the life of me I could not explain what a redox reaction is) I did fine in ochem because I just memorized everything, but biochem is a different beast.

anatomy i can touch and feel and see the relationships between stuff. Biochem is all conceptual mumbogumbo and chemistry (which I'm embarrassingly horrible at. For the life of me I could not explain what a redox reaction is) I did fine in ochem because I just memorized everything, but biochem is a different beast.
That's why you rewrite it over and over on a white board with dry-erase markers till it gets in you head, since you're a kinesthetic learner.

That's why you rewrite it over and over on a white board with dry-erase markers till it gets in you head, since you're a kinesthetic learner.
Yup. Bought a white board and a bunch of dry erase markers because I obsessively color code stuff.

I think I'm the exact opposite, I passionately hate anything that involves 'kinesthetic learning' or learning through touching stuff. Perhaps it's a result of my 'Asperger's' and aforementioned motor deficits (I think that competitive League of Legends made me sorta aware of this, as I had to go to great lengths to compensate for these deficits and compete with my 'neurotypical' enemies).

I would say that the focus on kinesthetic learning did me a disservice and strongly contributed to my failure the first time I took Anatomy.

The second time around, I tried to learn another way, which involved a strong focus on visualization, drawing things in my head, recreating pathways, and hundreds of practice questions. And I did great then.

I think I'm the exact opposite, I passionately hate anything that involves 'kinesthetic learning' or learning through touching stuff. Perhaps it's a result of my 'Asperger's' and aforementioned motor deficits (I think that competitive League of Legends made me sorta aware of this, as I had to go to great lengths to compensate for these deficits and compete with my 'neurotypical' enemies).

I would say that the focus on kinesthetic learning did me a disservice and strongly contributed to my failure the first time I took Anatomy.

The second time around, I tried to learn another way, which involved a strong focus on visualization, drawing things in my head, recreating pathways, and hundreds of practice questions. And I did great then.
I mean everyone learns best in different ways. You could be very correct that your aspergers may be a reason why you hate the kinesthetic stuff, but not every non-aspie person loves kinesthetic. that's good that you found a method that works for you. That's obviously the most important part.

Although i always thought that gaming helped with motor functions, I mean especially if you are playing RTS' s that's gotta be important in your strategy.

I mean everyone learns best in different ways. You could be very correct that your aspergers may be a reason why you hate the kinesthetic stuff, but not every non-aspie person loves kinesthetic. that's good that you found a method that works for you. That's obviously the most important part.

Although i always thought that gaming helped with motor functions, I mean especially if you are playing RTS' s that's gotta be important in your strategy.

Heh, I never had the patience to get good at Starcraft. I tried it, mainly played Toss (because I liked them thematically), but wasn't that great at it.

As for gaming in general, it certainly did help. But on a scale of 0 to 10, 0 being a complete klutz and 10 being a mechanics god, gaming helped me go from a 3 to a 5. When I broke Plat 2 and neared Diamond rank, I was a 5 fighting against 7s and 8s.

I knew that I could not hope to fight my enemies on mechanics alone, they would win that game every time. I started adjusting my playstyle to compensate for my mechanical deficit. For example, I started playing a lot of Janna. Janna is played as a defensive, lategame-minded support, and does not require the player to possess much in terms of laning mechanics. Other champions I got into were Udyr and Alistar, for similar reasons: they don't require much in terms of mechanical skill, and thus largely nullify the motor advantage my enemies have on me.

I also stayed far away from autoattackers (though I still played Kayle, because she's an attractive blonde and I like her in terms of her theme, appearance, and playstyle, and she was pretty overpowered back in the day lol).

Heh, I never had the patience to get good at Starcraft. I tried it, mainly played Toss (because I liked them thematically), but wasn't that great at it.

As for gaming in general, it certainly did help. But on a scale of 0 to 10, 0 being a complete klutz and 10 being a mechanics god, gaming helped me go from a 3 to a 5. When I broke Plat 2 and neared Diamond rank, I was a 5 fighting against 7s and 8s.

I knew that I could not hope to fight my enemies on mechanics alone, they would win that game every time. I started adjusting my playstyle to compensate for my mechanical deficit. For example, I started playing a lot of Janna. Janna is played as a defensive, lategame-minded support, and does not require the player to possess much in terms of laning mechanics. Other champions I got into were Udyr and Alistar, for similar reasons: they don't require much in terms of mechanical skill, and thus largely nullify the motor advantage my enemies have on me.

I also stayed far away from autoattackers (though I still played Kayle, because she's an attractive blonde and I like her in terms of her theme, appearance, and playstyle, and she was pretty overpowered back in the day lol).

Off topic but what happened with your trial?

Lol I am really not surprised you call children "it." Like really not surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Oh god McSteamy... sooo creepy.

*shudder*

I'll continue my track-record of only seeing females for pelvics thank you very much.

Heh, I've always found it curious that many females have hangups about seeing men for pelvic exams. After all, the practice of medicine necessitates a loss of modesty. I've only ever had female physicians, and I have had no problem letting them perform pelvic exams on me or discuss my sexuality.

But you know my rule: "We take the game as it is given to us, not as we would wish it to be."

Case in point: the school makes second years do clinical stuff, including arranging shadowing (which includes H/P) experiences. Everyone thinks it's lame and pointless, but the school says it's to "prepare us for MS-3."

The men in my class quickly realized that we can exploit female patient hangups about letting male students see them by signing up for the OB/GYN service. While female medical students have to do actual work, the male students can sit around doing nothing but studying, while still claiming the same credit.

:)

Off topic but what happened with your trial?

Academic probation.

Heh, I've always found it curious that many females have hangups about seeing men for pelvic exams. After all, the practice of medicine necessitates a loss of modesty. I've only ever had female physicians, and I have had no problem letting them perform pelvic exams on me or discuss my sexuality.

But you know my rule: "We take the game as it is given to us, not as we would wish it to be."

Case in point: the school makes second years do clinical stuff, including arranging shadowing (which includes H/P) experiences. Everyone thinks it's lame and pointless, but the school says it's to "prepare us for MS-3."

The men in my class quickly realized that we can exploit female patient hangups about letting male students see them by signing up for the OB/GYN service. While female medical students have to do actual work, the male students can sit around doing nothing but studying, while still claiming the same credit.

:)

Academic probation.
I have my own issues and if I have a male physician doing my pelvic exam I would have a panic attack. My heart is racing just considering the thought of it right now. I'm okay with other stuff, like I had a colonoscopy from a male doc no problem, but anything vaginal I lose it.

Ah, yes, the short-sighted joy of not getting involved in patient care because all the studying will clearly make up for the actual patient contact. Le sigh.

Reactions: 8 users
You think with doing H&Ps you just magically become a superstar on the wards in MS-3, and Honors grades are thrown on you like rose petals?

You think with doing H&Ps you just magically become a superstar on the wards in MS-3, and Honors grades are thrown on you like rose petals?

No. I don't think anyone does, but our school wants us to do it anyways.

I don't get it
Yes, I know you don't get it.

What I'm telling you is that your medical school is not stupid for having you do H&Ps right now, when it's relatively low stakes and get u used to taking a history, doing a physical exam, etc. so that you are comfortable with those things before you enter clerkships and you hit the ground running and are evaluated by your intern, resident, and attending on those skills, clinical judgement, medical knowledge, etc. There isn't some magic that happens after mastering basic science when you enter the wards.

Ah, yes, the short-sighted joy of not getting involved in patient care because all the studying will clearly make up for the actual patient contact. Le sigh.
Why bother seeing patients? They all present exactly like the textbook anyways.

I'm seeing a pattern of DermViser not understanding the point of people's posts. You should start thinking its not everyone elses problem, but a problem to do with yourself derm.

in b4 derm comes up with some convoluted speech on wernicke's aphasia.

I don't think DV is infallible however I don't think he misunderstood anything in that exchange. You seem like you're reaching.

I've only ever had female physicians, and I have had no problem letting them perform pelvic exams on me or discuss my sexuality.

When did you have a pelvic exam????

Reactions: 3 users
I'm seeing a pattern of DermViser not understanding the point of people's posts. You should start thinking its not everyone elses problem, but a problem to do with yourself derm.

Try again, genius. SouthernIM understood the exact point with what I said - read the exchange again. I realize you're still hurting from your anxious I got a 91 on my exam thread.

I think you're confusing sarcasm for a lack of understanding.

Reactions: 4 users
After all, the practice of medicine necessitates a loss of modesty. I've only ever had female physicians, and I have had no problem letting them perform pelvic exams on me or discuss my sexuality.
Males (biological) can't have pelvic exams done bc all your reproductive organs are external and are not found inside your pelvis. Only females have pelvic exams done bc their uterus and ovaries (their reproductive organs) are internal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Honetly, why is OB still required for all 3rd year med students? It should be an elective. as a young male I'm not looking forward to the OB and Surgery rotations at all.

You think i'm a genius :D !!!!

Honetly, why is OB still required for all 3rd year med students? It should be an elective. as a young male I'm not looking forward to the OB and Surgery rotations at all.
Is there anything in medical school/life that you DON'T complain about?

Reactions: 5 users
Is there anything in medical school/life that you DON'T complain about?

If there isn't a time and place to complain about one's life, then there is no point in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.