So I just failed Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what sort of bugs me is that with multiple failed classes, even if I don't have to repeat the year I'm pretty much stuck going into FM. As I've said before, I think it's a solid career, I just don't think the money and prestige attained by a family physician is enough to warrant the financial, temporal, and emotional investment of medical school and residency. But that's just the nature of the beast, and I can't do anything about it now I guess.

As Victarion from GoT would say, "The most beautiful woman in the world has urgent need of my board scores." I still claim that one of my motivations for going into medicine is a boost to my desirability as a man for an arranged marriage.

So is the feeeeeemale that you're going to land for eventually being an FM doc worth all this investment that you're making?

I highly doubt the feeeeemales are 'mirin your scores when considering whom to pair off with. Just saying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
What specialties would you be interested in, your grades notwithstanding? Didn't you say you were interested in psych? I'm not am expert on this obv but I don't think psych or peds are out of the question, though I wouldn't say to go into peds unless you really love working with kids. Have you looked at any of the fellowships available after FM?

How are you preparing for step 1?

I'm interested in Psych and IM. I would rather drop out of medical school before I went into any surgical subspecialty.

I have not established a STEP1 preparation plan yet.

So is the feeeeeemale that you're going to land for eventually being an FM doc worth all this investment that you're making?

I highly doubt the feeeeemales are 'mirin your scores when considering whom to pair off with. Just saying.

What matters is what their parents are "mirin."

And speaking of "mirin," I'm back to going ham in the gym. As I learn about the horrors wrought by obesity and metabolic syndrome, I become more determined to avoid such fates.

What matters is what their parents are "mirin."

And speaking of "mirin," I'm back to going ham in the gym. As I learn about the horrors wrought by obesity and metabolic syndrome, I become more determined to avoid such fates.
You think women in the United States (even Asian women) will take orders from their parents on who to marry? You're now counting on a woman's parents to encourage or force her to marry you bc you happen to be a doctor? Why would the female care?

Members don't see this ad :)
You think women in the United States (even Asian women) will take orders from their parents on who to marry? You're now counting on a woman's parents to encourage or force her to marry you bc you happen to be a doctor? Why would the female care?

I plan to look abroad to India for a wife. Rest assured that the status inherent to being an American physician will be enough to achieve my goals.

As for why I'm doing this, do I have to say it again? As an overweight "Aspie" Indian dude, my prospects are pretty slim outside this route. And remember,

I wonder if her parents will be 'mirin the amount of time you spend gaming as much as those delicious board scores.

I think what sort of bugs me is that with multiple failed classes, even if I don't have to repeat the year I'm pretty much stuck going into FM. As I've said before, I think it's a solid career, I just don't think the money and prestige attained by a family physician is enough to warrant the financial, temporal, and emotional investment of medical school and residency. But that's just the nature of the beast, and I can't do anything about it now I guess.

As Victarion from GoT would say, "The most beautiful woman in the world has urgent need of my board scores." I still claim that one of my motivations for going into medicine is a boost to my desirability as a man for an arranged marriage. And I know I've caught some flak for this, and for people, not just premeds saying "why aren't you going into medicine to help people?"

Well, if I was just interested in helping people, why go through the hell of med school? Why not just become a nurse? Or a social worker?
Wow, so much fail in this.

#1 - If you don't think FM is worth it from a financial, emotional, or any other standpoint and you feel you're stuck in it based on your performance thus far, then why in God's name are you still doing it? You think you'll be able to last through the end of med school (six figures in debt) and do a 3 year residency working 80+ hours per week and get thru it when you don't like it at all?

If your main motivation for medicine is to boost your marriage prospects - you will be greatly disappointed.

Reactions: 1 users
I plan to look abroad to India for a wife. Rest assured that the status inherent to being an American physician will be enough to achieve my goals.

As for why I'm doing this, do I have to say it again? As an overweight "Aspie" Indian dude, my prospects are pretty slim outside this route. And remember,

So you plan on marrying some young woman in a poor, Indian village whose parents encourage her to marry you only bc of your occupation? How happy of a marriage do you think that will actually be? Or do you only see marriage as a power tool for higher status and procreation (which apparently is important to you, to continue your lineage)?

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if her parents will be 'mirin the amount of time you spend gaming as much as those delicious board scores.
Well since he plans on marrying a female from India, they won't see his gaming as they will likely won't be able to move to the United States with her.

Heh thanks, always nice to know people support me. I mean, I know I have some enemies here, but I think I also have a number of allies and friends. :)
People disagreeing with you, doesn't make them your "enemy". This isn't a video game.

Well, if I was just interested in helping people, why go through the hell of med school? Why not just become a nurse? Or a social worker?

Your reason may not make a ton of sense to me, but it is your reason. I'm just glad you have one. I hope you arrange the marriage of your dreams someday, to make all this extra effort worth it.

So you plan on marrying some young woman in a poor, Indian village whose parents encourage her to marry you only bc of your occupation? How happy of a marriage do you think that will actually be? Or do you only see marriage as a power tool for higher status and procreation (which apparently is important to you, to continue your lineage)?

Look, in India we don't buy into modern American myths of "true [romantic] love." In any case, I'm not convinced that just because I'm getting an arranged marriage means I will be consigned to a loveless, sexless life. It just doesn't make sense given what I've read.

Relationship outcomes in Indian-American love-based and arranged marriages.
PAMELA C. REGAN, SALONI LAKHANPAL, and CARLOS ANGUIANO
Psychological Reports 2012110:3 , 915-924

Unexpectedly, no differences were found between participants in arranged and love-based marriages; high ratings of love, satisfaction, and commitment were observed in both marriage types. The overall affective experiences of partners in arranged and love marriages appear to be similar, at least among Indian adults living in contemporary U.S. society.

In any case, what would you have me do? We've already established that I'm a struggling medical student. Would you have me take even more time out of my studies to shotgun approach hundreds of women, and face the (quite literal) pain of getting shot down by the overwhelming majority?

Look, in India we don't buy into modern American myths of "true [romantic] love." In any case, I'm not convinced that just because I'm getting an arranged marriage means I will be consigned to a loveless, sexless life. It just doesn't make sense given what I've read.
You actually think a woman in the modern era (not the 1950s/1960s) will tolerate living in an unhappy marriage (and actually create children with you) just bc you happen to be a physician? You actually believe that your occupation carries that much power? You really think Indian women will be any different than white/black/hispanic etc. women in that regard?

Or do you plan on marrying a woman so uneducated and poor that she'll have no choice but to stay with you?

People disagreeing with you, doesn't make them your "enemy". This isn't a video game.

I already said that I consider you one of my allies, regardless of our diametrically opposed perspectives. The only people here who I consider enemies (that I can think of atm) are GuyWhoDoesStuff, who has only ever made snide remarks at me, and Anastomoses, who needs no introduction.

Members don't see this ad :)
You actually think a woman in the modern era (not the 1950s/1960s) will tolerate living in an unhappy marriage (and actually create children with you) just bc you happen to be a physician? You actually believe that your occupation carries that much power? You really think Indian women will be any different than white/black/hispanic etc. women in that regard?

Or do you plan on marrying a woman so uneducated and poor that she'll have no choice but to stay with you?

Sigh, why do you think it will be unhappy? I don't intend to mistreat anyone, quite the opposite actually. The only thing I'm saying is that I have a much better chance of securing the kind of woman I want through this method than the American one.

I know you are in a difficult period right now, but there is no need to belittle specific specialties. I know several people who were AOA who went into FM: some people love it, and some people hate it, but if it is what you love and what you want to do, the prestige and money becomes less of an issue. Besides, when you start third year you may fall in love with psychiatry or OB/GYN, or yes, even FM. My point is that as long as you keep your nose clean and work hard, you may have more options than you think, but ultimately, you won't have a definitive idea of what you do and don't like until you start third year.

I already said that I consider you one of my allies, regardless of our diametrically opposed perspectives. The only people here who I consider enemies (that I can think of atm) are GuyWhoDoesStuff, who has only ever made snide remarks at me, and Anastomoses, who needs no introduction.
Yes. Our worldviews are different. The fact that you say you're an Aspie should tell you that your worldview/opinions are likely to be wrong, misinterpreted, or distorted. GuyWhoDoesStuff is not personally attacking you. He makes jokes, maybe mixes in some sarcasm with acerbic wit, but he's not your "enemy" and neither is Anastomoses. They aren't Bowser and you're not Mario whose goal is to rescue Princess Toadstool.
upload_2014-10-2_10-35-15.jpeg

upload_2014-10-2_10-35-57.jpeg

Sigh, why do you think it will be unhappy? I don't intend to mistreat anyone, quite the opposite actually. The only thing I'm saying is that I have a much better chance of securing the kind of woman I want through this method than the American one.
You think if the only thing you are able to offer to your marriage is perceived prestigious status and your occupation of being a doctor, that your marriage won't be anything but unhappy?

I know you are in a difficult period right now, but there is no need to belittle specific specialties. I know several people who were AOA who went into FM: some people love it, and some people hate it, but if it is what you love and what you want to do, the prestige and money becomes less of an issue. Besides, when you start third year you may fall in love with psychiatry or OB/GYN, or yes, even FM. My point is that as long as you keep your nose clean and work hard, you may have more options than you think, but ultimately, you won't have a definitive idea of what you do and don't like until you start third year.
I highly doubt that.

Where did I belittle it? I think it's a great career. I just don't think it's great enough to warrant med school hell when people make double that (or even more) in other specialties. This wasn't that big a deal before crazy med school debt, but sadly, it is now.

Ark, how come you aren't looking for a wifey right now?

my classmates already have prospects lined up and are meeting up during the summers

meeting your future wife might be the motivation you need to get through med school and residency

Ark, how come you aren't looking for a wifey right now?

my classmates already have prospects lined up and are meeting up during the summers

meeting your future wife might be the motivation you need to get through med school and residency
Bc apparently that's all he's got going for him - his destined occupation which once he achieves, everything will then fall into place.

Yes. Our worldviews are different. The fact that you say you're an Aspie should tell you that your worldview/opinions are likely to be wrong, misinterpreted, or distorted. GuyWhoDoesStuff is not personally attacking you. He makes jokes, maybe mixes in some sarcasm with acerbic wit, but he's not your "enemy" and neither is Anastomoses. They aren't Bowser and you're not Mario whose goal is to rescue Princess Toadstool.
View attachment 185912

View attachment 185913
Holy crap DV made a video game reference. I thought this day would never come.

Holy crap DV made a video game reference. I thought this day would never come.
Definitely not a D&D, WoW, Halo, GoT, or whatever other addicting video game reference.

For anyone who doesn't know the thing between anastomoses and arkangeloid, this is how conversations between them usually go:

heartcomic.png
I’m curious as to the pathetic assertion that getting a Step 1 score less than 280 doesn’t make you worthless as a human being.

arkangeloid.png
I always dominate classroom discussions, so I think I can answer pretty well. At least it will give me a break from all of this useless bull**** we’re taught in medical school. What I’ve learned from my parents is that what really matters for women is to continue the bloodline strongly. That means if you are one, your score doesn’t matter at all. Instead of Step scores, women should focus on something that will make me happy, like a tight a** and a slender waist.

heartcomic.png
Your lame and misogynistic comments are not needed. I’m certain that the impoverished twit of a mail-order bride you marry will be sobbing when you aren’t looking, loser.

arkangeloid.png
This will not be the case as my family would never get me a bride who is of a low socioeconomic status. I assume we're enemies now, as is suggested by my drastic drop in hit points and newfound hatred for you.

heartcomic.png
I’m. Pretty. And. Smart. Hater. :)

(I regret nothing)

Reactions: 11 users
Instead of Step scores, women should focus on something that will make me happy, like a tight a** and a slender waist.

Look, I don't really understand why this point is so contentious. I thought your American culture had implicitly accepted it. Looks and femininity are what matter to men, not intelligence or professional achievement. I think that most of the women insisting that's what matters in women are projecting their own desires onto men.

I mean, just look at this , one of the most prolific songs in the country. The artist explains how he wants a "big booty ho" for his birthday, and then sings one of the most iconic lines in hip-hop music: "She got a big booty so I call her big booty." I don't hear him saying anything about "big brained hos" or intelligent women, it's all about a tight ass.

So how is this point even debatable? I don't get it, and I think Anastomoses was purposely trying to be contrarian on the issue (aka she was trolling).

Look, I don't really understand why this point is so contentious. I thought your American culture had implicitly accepted it. Looks and femininity are what matter in women, not intelligence or professional achievement. I think that most of the women insisting that's what matters in women are projecting their own desires onto men.

I mean, just look at this , one of the most prolific songs in the country. The artist explains how he wants a "big booty ho" for his birthday, and then sings one of the most iconic lines in hip-hop music: "She got a big booty so I call her big booty." I don't hear him saying anything about "big brained hos" or intelligent women, it's all about a tight ass.

So how is this point even debatable? I don't get it, and I think Anastomoses was purposely trying to be contrarian on the issue (she was trolling).

Stop taking your cues from misogynist rap videos. That's probably why your viewpoint is so skewed to begin with.

Reactions: 9 users
Look, I don't really understand why this point is so contentious. I thought your American culture had implicitly accepted it. Looks and femininity are what matter to men, not intelligence or professional achievement. I think that most of the women insisting that's what matters in women are projecting their own desires onto men.

Given that there are a bunch of med students here who continually bemoan the lack of looks and "femininity" (perhaps implying submission) in the female medical student/resident/attending population, how does one explain the rather high marriage rate to men among these women? Could it not be that you're projecting your own desires about women onto the rest of the male population (gasp!)?

Reactions: 3 users

So how is this point even debatable? I don't get it, and I think Anastomoses was purposely trying to be contrarian on the issue (aka she was trolling).

Not really saying whether you're right or wrong, just trying to imitate your and her little quirks.

Given that there are a bunch of med students here who continually bemoan the lack of looks and "femininity" (perhaps implying submission) in the female medical student/resident/attending population, how does one explain the rather high marriage rate to men among these women? Could it not be that you're projecting your own desires about women onto the rest of the male population (gasp!)?

Not sure where you go to med school, the vast majority of women in our class are fit, feminine, and conventionally attractive. There's literally one hambeast.

That song is terrible. If that's the quality of what's popular in hip hop today, I feel sorry for listeners.

90's is where it was at. I don't know your age. You might be too young, but I wouldn't listen to that song for free (prob why I clicked close after 30 seconds ;) )

Consider it this way:
Women aren't necessarily inclined to tailor themselves into some persona just because it is what men want. Imagine, women with autonomy, striving for professional achievement because it is what they want, and then hoping to find a partner who appreciates them because of who they are as a whole, rather than just because of their pretty face or "big booty." What a concept.

Furthermore there are plenty of men who want an intelligent partner and I know this for an absolute fact. Maybe you've been talking to the wrong people.

And jeez Ark if you think rap videos are an accurate representation of the actual thinking of the majority of America when it comes to figuring out the type of person they want to be in a relationship with, I really don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: 5 users

1. Stop listening to 2 chainz. Not only are his lyrics misogynistic, they are just dumb. He has no rapping talent what so ever. And if you ACTUALLY think that "she got a big booty so I call her big booty" is one of the most iconic lines in hip hop I feel sorry for you. Go listen to some NWA, Dre, Public Enemy, Missy, Lil Kim, Common, Lupe Fiasco, Cunnilyngists, the Roots, then come back to me. 2 Chainz is a freakin joke. Just because he's too dumb to think of anything else to rhyme with booty doesn't tell you anything about how the average American male things.

2. Intelligence and personal achievement matters to men with substance who want a partner in life, not just someone to fuq, cook them dinner, and look pretty.

1. Stop listening to 2 chainz. Not only are his lyrics misogynistic, they are just dumb. He has no rapping talent what so ever. And if you ACTUALLY think that "she got a big booty so I call her big booty" is one of the most iconic lines in hip hop I feel sorry for you. Go listen to some NWA, Dre, Public Enemy, Missy, Lil Kim, Common, Lupe Fiasco, Cunnilyngists, the Roots, then come back to me. 2 Chainz is a freakin joke. Just because he's too dumb to think of anything else to rhyme with booty doesn't tell you anything about how the average American male things.

2. Intelligence and personal achievement matters to men with substance who want a partner in life, not just someone to fuq, cook them dinner, and look pretty.
:rofl:

Advil looks and tastes like m n m's. I love em

And for some throwbacks:

Weren't you born in the US? Look, I'm a 1st generation American too, and I get that there's probably a huge cultural gap between your home life and whatever you experienced in school, but I'm not sure why you act like you didn't spend over 2 decades exposed to American culture or that you're not American.

That song is disgusting and I REALLY hope you're joking when you call this "prolific" or "iconic." Sadly, you're probably not joking. So now in addition to quoting fantasy books like Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings in order to "prove" your points, you're starting to use bad rap songs? Come on.

This is a classic example of your "aspies" shining through

Putting aside all issues of the quality or lack thereof of the song itself.

This song is, at its core, just a dude bragging to other dudes about hooking up with a hot girl.

It's the musical equivalent of locker room banter.

You extrapolate from this a near absolute statement about what men value in a woman.

ark slowly but surely dropping into troll territory.

Weren't you born in the US? Look, I'm a 1st generation American too, and I get that there's probably a huge cultural gap between your home life and whatever you experienced in school, but I'm not sure why you act like you didn't spend over 2 decades exposed to American culture or that you're not American.
He's born in the United States, but he has apparently adopted the norms and mores of his parent's mother country rather than culturally assimiliate. Most of the Indians born here that I know of do both -- they culturally assimilate to the norms and mores here in order to be successful in the United States and they continue to value their own ethnic culture as well.

He did back when he was hughmyron

(or are we still not allowed to talk about that)
It established what we already knew anyways - that he's a misogynist.

It established what we already knew anyways - that he's a misogynist.

More important, it established that he is entirely unapologetic about it and has no intention or desire to change or hear other perspectives. He's just learned that voicing such will get him banned (again).

More important, it established that he is entirely unapologetic about it and has no intention or desire to change or hear other perspectives. He's just learned that voicing such will get him banned (again).
I think he's already set in how he views the roles of men and women. Very conservative, traditional, very 1950s/1960s -esque with a mix of hip hop misogyny. Hence why he's dependent on an arranged marriage as no woman (Indian or otherwise) born in the United States will take his misogynistic bs. He thinks he has it figured out - and that everything will come together as planned once he graduates and becomes a resident or attending (I forget which).

I think he's already set in how he views the roles of men and women. Very conservative, traditional, very 1950s/1960s -esque with a mix of hip hop misogyny. Hence why he's dependent on an arranged marriage as no woman (Indian or otherwise) born in the United States will take his misogynistic bs. He thinks he has it figured out - and that everything will come together as planned once he graduates and becomes a resident or attending (I forget which).
That is sad. I was originally going to add something to the end of my post to the effect of: unless he finds a way to start viewing women as fellow human beings as opposed to subservient creatures designed to cater to the desires of men, he's going to continue have social issues. But if his mind is set, then there really isn't any point.

Status
Not open for further replies.