So I just got into Northwestern...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree that the students at NU are brilliant, and I know that NU would be best for a finance/ law route. I was actually accepted to NU to study economics, which is what I may end up doing, but figured this post could help me decide whether or not it would be a viable option for a medical route as well. So far, I would not say that it isn't, but I definitely get the fact that it will be more difficult. Does assimilating amongst and competing against some of the most brilliant students in the US not count towards anything though?
You're mistaking NU kids for geniuses. No one at these schools are inherently "brilliant," so if you're going to a top school carrying that wish, prepare to be disappointed. We were just hard workers who happened to catch onto things a little more quickly than others and had a slightly higher than average drive to get things done and finished.

So no, you won't be competing against some of "the most brilliants students in the US." NU is a great school, but you're overvaluing how smart your peers will be and that seems to have you enchanted. I understand why you may have this impression if you're first generation, but seriously, don't buy the hype.

Competing against smarter people only "counts for anything" if you do well at it. Be careful what you wish for. Like I said, top school students are not geniuses, but they are workhorses and can potentially crush you if ever given the chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
You're mistaking NU kids for geniuses. No one at these schools are inherently "brilliant," so if you're going to a top school carrying that wish, prepare to be disappointed. We were just hard workers who happened to catch onto things a little more quickly than others and had a slightly higher than average drive to get things done and finished.

So no, you won't be competing against some of "the most brilliants students in the US." NU is a great school, but you're overvaluing how smart your peers will be and that seems to have you enchanted. I understand why you may have this impression if you're first generation, but seriously, don't buy the hype.

Competing against smarter people only "counts for anything" if you do well at it. Be careful what you wish for. Like I said, top school students are not geniuses, but they are workhorses and can potentially crush you if ever given the chance.
Bull ****. You may be able to beef up a resume with time and commitment but the top percentile test scores come from being brainy, and from every objective metric students at places like NU and Stanford have a humbling work ethic and they're damn smart. If your peers don't strike you as impressive you're either a genius or haven't got anything to compare it to.

Reactions: 1 user
You went to a top 20 and don't think the name will be recognized or help you in a job search? Even locally? ("I don't think the name or networking of my uni would have recognized me..."). Damn they've been lying to those poor students planning to go right into the workforce
ok you're taking my words too critically. I am saying, don't have an entitled attitude coming out of such said unis. It's a huge mistake-learn to be humble, it'll serve you well wherever you go. Intelligent people argue on solving a problem, not how smart they are; if you are it'll show but behind the letters and names the common folk judges you on 5 second first impression and so do employers (top ones if that is your preference). Take it as a grain of salt or what have you, but I too am a product of a top uni and I don't feel like anyone should owe me anything. But to say that I feel I deserve a respectable position after having done so much in college is acknowledgeable regardless of the uni I graduate from.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Bull ****. You may be able to beef up a resume with time and commitment but the top percentile test scores come from being brainy, and from every objective metric students at places like NU and Stanford have a humbling work ethic and they're damn smart. If your peers don't strike you as impressive you're either a genius or haven't got anything to compare it to.
I don't think they should be put on a pedestal. OP is obviously doing so and it's clouding his judgment so I am telling him to get real and snap out of it. Even if they are brilliant, simply going to the school does not guarantee that and OP is in dangerous territory trying to chase after that ideal.

I don't think they should be put on a pedestal. OP is obviously doing so and it's clouding his judgment so I am telling him to get real and snap out of it. Even if they are brilliant, simply going to the school does not guarantee that and OP is in dangerous territory trying to chase after that ideal.
Agree to disagree. I think it's unequivocal that the students at NU/Stanford are a very very bright crowd, and it is fulfilling and valuable (to some) to be among peers that can humble them and really push them to their limits. The question imo is whether it's worth massive $ and the risk of suddenly being a below-average student to pursue that, not whether that environment of brilliant peers exists.

Agree to disagree. I think it's unequivocal that the students at NU/Stanford are a very very bright crowd, and it is fulfilling and valuable (to some) to be among peers that can humble them and really push them to their limits. The question imo is whether it's worth massive $ and the risk of suddenly being a below-average student to pursue that, not whether that environment of brilliant peers exists.
No...it is not worth it....

suppose OP transfers in their junior year. Now they have 1 year prior to application (assuming traditional applicant) to prepare and get acclimated to NU. I don't think that it is a smart move and neither is it financially sensible. I don't like NU's financial aid and I wouldn't recommend it to OP.

suppose OP transfers in their junior year. Now they have 1 year prior to application (assuming traditional applicant) to prepare and get acclimated to NU. I don't think that it is a smart move and neither is it financially sensible. I don't like NU's financial aid and I wouldn't recommend it to OP.
It's clear that OP is a freshman and would thus be at NU for 2 years before application, or 3 if he takes a gap year (highly recommended). I still don't think it's worth the $65k in undergrad debt. Holy geez he will never pay that off before med school ends and compound interest says **** YOU at that point.