So, since Pennsylvania closed "the loophole"...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I just do an MD residency in Pennsylvania and then practice in West Virginia when I'm done and commute?

Members don't see this ad.

can you be more specific about what you are talking about....

Pennsylvania requires you to either do an osteopathic residency or to do an osteopathic internship before doing your MD residency. There is supposed to be a loophole (resolution 42) that allows you to count your MD PGY-1 as your internship if it meets certain requirements. But our school recently sent us an email informing us the loophole no longer exists. I need to do a psych residency close to home (in pennsylvania) due to childcare issues and really really really don't want to do an internship year, so I'm trying to figure a way out.

What I've found out though is that I can't even do an MD residency in PA without the internship year. Guess I'm shoot out of luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Pennsylvania requires you to either do an osteopathic residency or to do an osteopathic internship before doing your MD residency. There is supposed to be a loophole (resolution 42) that allows you to count your MD PGY-1 as your internship if it meets certain requirements. But our school recently sent us an email informing us the loophole no longer exists. I need to do a psych residency close to home (in pennsylvania) due to childcare issues and really really really don't want to do an internship year, so I'm trying to figure a way out.

What I've found out though is that I can't even do an MD residency in PA without the internship year. Guess I'm shoot out of luck.

What school? PCOM told me to start filling it out today.

It definitely still exists. The Resolution is granted by the AOA and in essence it grants your specific PGY-1 year in an MD residency as equivolent to a PGY-1 DO residency slot. I don't think the state has anything to do with it, but I won't swear by that.

They didnt close the loophole. They just made it really small. Pennsylvania does not recognize the AOA power to approve internships through resolution 42. They have just made it really hard to get approval. You would have to present a lecture on osteopathic medicine to your residency and fulfill all the requirements of a specialty track for licensure in PA. Basically you can get resolution 42 but if it isnt done the way PA wants they will not approve it.

In the past you could attend a conference or eight hours of CME and get approval.

You can do an MD residency in PA and just not practice in PA. You do have to make sure your program does not require you to become licensed to finish. Very few programs do.

They didnt close the loophole. They just made it really small. Pennsylvania does not recognize the AOA power to approve internships through resolution 42. They have just made it really hard to get approval. You would have to present a lecture on osteopathic medicine to your residency and fulfill all the requirements of a specialty track for licensure in PA. Basically you can get resolution 42 but if it isnt done the way PA wants they will not approve it.

In the past you could attend a conference or eight hours of CME and get approval.

You can do an MD residency in PA and just not practice in PA. You do have to make sure your program does not require you to become licensed to finish. Very few programs do.

Any links to official statment, documents, or regulations from PA's board of medicine that state it operates any differently from what the AOA "publishes" as the Resolution 42 process?

According to a pdf from 2009 on AOA's site some form of education activity is required, but can still be CME conference or presentation like you mentioned.

how about doing a dually accredited one?

I'm really confused at this point. I believe PCOM to be a trustworthy source, though, so I'm assuming some form of this loophole still exists in Pennsylvania. Who exactly am I applying to for this loophole?

Can you post what the email actually said? Did it cite any sort of official statement or policy from PA's medical board?

I don't know, I'm still kind of skeptical as the only info I can find is just what the AOA has on their site regarding Resolution 42 and a FAQ from 2009 that states no differences depending on which state you are in.

Would be helpful if someone can post some sort of official statement or at the least their personal experience applying for Reso 42 in PA.

If this is the case of PA going "rouge" and not following or adhering to what the AOA says about 42 then it's certainly concerning and something that should be brought up. I'm at LECOM-Bradenton here in FL but even so our mothership is in Erie, PA and I've heard nothing from the school about the issue, may have to email a few folks and see what they know.

From POMA:

SBOM CLARIFICATION – Update for Initial Licensure

In order to preserve the important requirement that individuals complete an Osteopathic internship before receiving an unrestricted license as a D.O., the Pennsylvania State Board of Osteopathic Medicine (SBOM):

1) Vigorously enforces the current requirement in 40 Pa. Code § 25.241(4) that all candidates for unrestricted license by examination successfully complete an approved osteopathic post-graduate PGY1 program; and

2) That such an “approved program” be limited to (a) a traditional rotating Osteopathic PGY1; or (b) other internship/residency that an American Osteopathic Association (AOA) approved “track” so that the intern/resident covers the material that he/she would have covered in a traditional rotating Osteopathic PGY1.

Further, the SBOM does not recognize continuing medical education courses to be the equivalent of Osteopathic graduate medical education and does not recognize attendance at AOA/state association/society convention/program and other continuing medical education events/programs to satisfy any post-graduate medical education requirements and will not grant licensure in Pennsylvania on the basis of “Resolution 42” (designated activities in lieu of an approved first-year osteopathic post-graduate education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Further, the SBOM does not recognize continuing medical education courses to be the equivalent of Osteopathic graduate medical education and does not recognize attendance at AOA/state association/society convention/program and other continuing medical education events/programs to satisfy any post-graduate medical education requirements and will not grant licensure in Pennsylvania on the basis of “Resolution 42” (designated activities in lieu of an approved first-year osteopathic post-graduate education.

Wow. This is the disturbing part to me. I think I'm going to send some emails to folks at my school and the AOA to see what they know about it.

I wonder if this has been PA's position all along and just not rigidly "enforced" or if this is a very recent change to policy.

Wow. This is the disturbing part to me. I think I'm going to send some emails to folks at my school and the AOA to see what they know about it.

I wonder if this has been PA's position all along and just not rigidly "enforced" or if this is a very recent change to policy.

They have never allowed PA conferences to count towards resolution 42. This is a new policy in terms of strictness. SO you have to do a presentation on OMM to get approval.

From POMA:

SBOM CLARIFICATION – Update for Initial Licensure

In order to preserve the important requirement that individuals complete an Osteopathic internship before receiving an unrestricted license as a D.O., the Pennsylvania State Board of Osteopathic Medicine (SBOM):

1) Vigorously enforces the current requirement in 40 Pa. Code § 25.241(4) that all candidates for unrestricted license by examination successfully complete an approved osteopathic post-graduate PGY1 program; and

2) That such an “approved program” be limited to (a) a traditional rotating Osteopathic PGY1; or (b) other internship/residency that an American Osteopathic Association (AOA) approved “track” so that the intern/resident covers the material that he/she would have covered in a traditional rotating Osteopathic PGY1.

Wow, I didn't know about this new development. It definitely sounds like they're trying to make the rules a lot stricter than they used to be. I'm guessing that the osteopathic internship progs were worried about going unfilled and put some pressure on the SBOM. If you do have to do an osteopathic internship to stay where you want to be, it may not be as bad as it sounds. Some internships are quite cush and benign.

Another reason why the DO leadership sucks. It's not enough that the average DO degree requires more debt than an MD, but now it requires more time (at least in Pennsylvania).

When will the AMA, ACGME, etc. just absorb/overtake the DO organizations and make our lives simpler?

:mad: this is a little disturbing. Especially since I go to school in PA (LECOM-Erie) and the only e-mails we've gotten is being bitched out because they managed to lose our vaccination records.

So what is the loophole now, if one were to do an MD residency in the state of pennsylvania, to avoid having to do an AOA internship year?

Last edited:
Once this becomes well known within the DO community, I'm sure lawsuits are going to start flying. Then again, who the hell wants to practice in the state of PA? Many large physician groups have been leaving the state over the past several years. I suspect that this new front is due in part to majority of primary care residency positions going unfilled over the past ten years.

Bahhhh this crap is so confusing. So if I am applying to an MD program that has an "AOA approved intership year"....is this the same as resolution 42? Or it means I am ok?

I'm more disturbed that someone would want to practice in West Virginia.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I did a MD internship and am currently in a MD residency.

Before I started my MD internship, I printed out the list of rotation requirements to fulfill the "traditional rotating internship/TRI" track. The only thing I had to do extra was burn one of my elective months and do a month of ambulatory care clinic in the IM clinic (the prelim interns generally don't do this).

In fact, the TRI requirement specifically said "continuity care clinic/FM clinic." Despite the fact that I did a month of IM (not FM) clinic, they still approved my MD internship.

Oh, and I presented a quick presentation on OMM during noon conference to my MD colleagues. The PD wrote a 1 paragraph letter confirming the date, title and audience of my presentation.

Sent in the letter from the PD, my application, copy of my PP presentation. Few weeks after I had finished intern year I got a letter from the AOA saying I got approved.

Not a big deal guys.

Reactions: 1 user
Bahhhh this crap is so confusing. So if I am applying to an MD program that has an "AOA approved intership year"....is this the same as resolution 42? Or it means I am ok?

It isn't the same as resolution 42, but it does mean you're okay.

Was this for licensure in PA specifically?

No, this was to get AOA approval for my MD internship. Granted it's unlikely I will practice in any of those 4 states, I didn't want to shut any doors on myself in the future.

So now when I'm done with fellowship and if I want to go down to FL to practice, I can apply for my FL license through the osteopathic board without any problems.

Had I been lazy and never applied for approval of my internship last year and 10 years later I find a dream job in FL, I would be SOL.

Resolution 42 has not changed, its PA acceptance of resolution 42. The concern I have is I think it says you must do an OSTEOPATHIC traditional rotating internship or a specialty track. It makes it seem like you can not get approval doing a track based on a traditional rotating internship. If this is the case pretty much no one can be approved using resolution 42. Why? because the specialty tracks are usually not allowed under the MD specialty boards. For instance anesthesia requires 3 months of anesthesia as a first year. ABA rules only allow one month. Anyone doing anesthesia could not fulfill this requirement.

You now have to give a presentation on OMM instead of attending a conference. I did one and it was pretty easy.

I tried to get clarification from POMA but they told me they could not help.

No, this was to get AOA approval for my MD internship. Granted it's unlikely I will practice in any of those 4 states, I didn't want to shut any doors on myself in the future.

So now when I'm done with fellowship and if I want to go down to FL to practice, I can apply for my FL license through the osteopathic board without any problems.

Had I been lazy and never applied for approval of my internship last year and 10 years later I find a dream job in FL, I would be SOL.

JohnnyG above already mentioned it, but the issue here is PA's acceptance of resolution 42. I'm sure most have no trouble getting reso 42 approval... but will PA honor that? It would be nice to get some clarification on that point.

There may be something to this.... here's the response from my email to the AOA:

My division is aware of the issue in PA however a licensing board is allowed to set its own requirements for licensure. To my knowledge, they have not fully approved this new “stipulation” but we will have to wait and see.

Thomas Duffy, MPH
Manager, Division of Postdoctoral Training
Department of Education
AMERICAN OSTEOPATHIC ASSOCIATION

I emailed the PA State Board of Osteopathic Medicine (SBOM) yesterday to see if I could get clarification on this considering I've only seen it in the POMA newsletter and in a email from an administrator at school (who sited the POMA newsletter of course...). I'll post as soon as I hear back.

I am in an MD program. The specialty track is just a list of rotations they require for each specialty. If your IM, you have to have the same rotations they list or get as close as possible from what I understand.

I am peds, I just had to use an elective to do an IM month, otherwise I had all of their rotations.

I gave a noon conference lecture on OMM.

I applied, a month letter the AOA said by resolution 42 was approved.

So your saying in Pennsylvania I still may have a problem? I'm confused. I have a state training license, no problem. If I had an issue it would be when I apply for an unrestricted license?

So your saying in Pennsylvania I still may have a problem? I'm confused. I have a state training license, no problem. If I had an issue it would be when I apply for an unrestricted license?

That's the issue that's currently up in the air.... From the response I got from emailing the AOA it seems as if there is some merit to the thought that PA may have their own specific requirements and won't just accept Resolution 42 approval as the AOA has it.

But someone else above mentioned PA has those specific specialty tract requirements as well as having you do an OMM presentation so in that case I'd think you'd be fine, especially since you already have a state training license.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I did a MD internship and am currently in a MD residency.

Before I started my MD internship, I printed out the list of rotation requirements to fulfill the "traditional rotating internship/TRI" track. The only thing I had to do extra was burn one of my elective months and do a month of ambulatory care clinic in the IM clinic (the prelim interns generally don't do this).

In fact, the TRI requirement specifically said "continuity care clinic/FM clinic." Despite the fact that I did a month of IM (not FM) clinic, they still approved my MD internship.

Oh, and I presented a quick presentation on OMM during noon conference to my MD colleagues. The PD wrote a 1 paragraph letter confirming the date, title and audience of my presentation.

Sent in the letter from the PD, my application, copy of my PP presentation. Few weeks after I had finished intern year I got a letter from the AOA saying I got approved.

Not a big deal guys.

UPDATE:

I applied for my unrestricted medical license in Pennsylvania. Along with my application I had to send in a copy of my AOA approval letter of my MD internship.

Just recieved my official unrestricted license a few days ago! No issues whatsoever.

I don't think this is over... we received an e-mail a few weeks back:

In 1985, the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) revised its educational polices to allow for osteopathic medical school graduates to gain AOA approval for postdoctoral allopathic programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). This was in response to availability of OGME positions to meet the demands of graduating osteopathic physicins. To accommodate those students that enrolled in ACGME approved residency programs, the AOA developed a "waiver" process wherein students could apply and gain AOA approval of their ACGME-accredited training. This application, which came to be referred to as "Resolution 42", required that students in ACGME training complete several components that are required for AOA-accreditation during the period of there training.

Pennsylvania is currently one of only four states, along with Michigan, Florida, and Oklahoma that require that an AOA-approved osteopathic graduate medical education OGME-1 year be completed to gain licensure. Michigan, Florida and Oklahoma either explicitly accept AOA-approval mechanisms or supply their own mechanism for adjudication of ACGME training. Until recently, Pennsylvania also accepted AOA-approval of the OGME-1 year to fulfill the "internship" requirement. In July 2010 the current Pennsylvania Board of Osteopathic Medicine determined to cease allowing AOA-approval and require that candidates complete an AOA-accredited OGME-1year to gain a Pennsylvania license.

For more information, I would encourage you to read:

Osteopathic Graduate Medical Education 2010. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, (2010); Vol. 110 (No. 3): pg 150-159.

Osteopathic Graduate Medical Education. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, (2008); Vol. 108 (No 3): pg 127-137.

Approval of ACGME Training as an AOA-Approved Internship: History and Review of Current Data. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, (2006); Vol. 106 (No. 12): pg 708-713.

AOA Information on Resolution 42

Thanks for the info, Bacchus.

So then... what is one supposed to do in PA then to get approval if one doesn't do an AOA internship? I am still confused with all the wording.

I don't know. Our administration has not said anything to us about resolution 42. I can't find anything on POMA's website or the SBOM. I feel if something was written down there would be more outrage.

I thought the wording as provided by Bacchus was quite clear. If you want to practice in Pennsylvania you MUST do an AOA internship year. I would therefore conclude that even if you were a board-certified physician, if you wanted a license in Pennsylvania as a DO you must do an AOA internship year.

I have heard of such things occurring. I have not, however, actually seen a practicing board certified physician doing an AOA TRI. Frankly, I think Pennsylvania is slitting its own throat here. There are a lot of DOs that have not completed a TRI and by not allowing them a license to practice in Pennsylvania they are quite efficiently barred from ever moving into a state that has a significant need for physicians.

I could understand if they stated students graduating in 2012 must complete a TRI, but for those who graduate in 2011 or before, their paths are already set. It is ridiculous to require a physician who has been practicing for 5 or 10 years already to go back and be an intern to satisfy some idiotic bit of paperwork and political nonsense.

Admittedly I have not read the articles referenced above. Forgot my login. :(

I doubt that those applying for re-licensure will be affected, ShyRem. I took it as all unlicensed students will have to complete a TRI. I don't know what happens to those residents in limbo who started before July but yet don't have a full license.

It seems POMA/SBOM and the AOA are on two separate pages. I rarely would say this, but I think the AOA is correct in this case ;). They at least realize that there are not enough residencies country-wide and thus allow resolution 42. Maybe Pennsylvania's stance is: "PCOM and LECOM collectively have enough OPTI residency spots and thus we can do this since no one would be denied a residency spot."

I do agree this is going to send a lot of people out of the state potentially if enforced. All of us here in Philadelphia can make a "short" trip across various bridges and end up in states that don't meddle in our practice. I'd like to stay here, but if my interests don't coincide with regulatory agencies I have no problem packing up and peacing out.

If anything, this is frustrating. It's frustrating enough that in order to maintain board certification as DO who has done a DO residency you have to pay the AOA, but this just adds another element on top of it because of one state's wishes.

I was actually more referring to those who already have completed a residency in another state, have practiced in another state, but now want to move to Pennsylvania for whatever reason. They would be applying for a first-time PA medical license, but would effectively have to either complete a TRI as a practicing board certified physician or choose to not go to PA at all.

I would sincerely hope and expect this new resolution in PA would have no effect whatsoever on physicians already licensed in PA.

I could understand if they stated students graduating in 2012 must complete a TRI, but for those who graduate in 2011 or before, their paths are already set. It is ridiculous to require a physician who has been practicing for 5 or 10 years already to go back and be an intern to satisfy some idiotic bit of paperwork and political nonsense.

It's ridiculous to mandate it for anyone. This is the biggest problem with the AOA (in PA), the hypocrites. They preach all day long about how DOs are just like MDs, and then they go into their own little caves and decide that an ACGME internship doesn't meet their snooty qualifications for licensure. Why any DO would want to be affiliated with an AOA residency just because they're held hostage by the old foogies on the PA osteopathic board is beyond me. There are 49 other states to practice in and their state medical boards don't require such nonsense.

They preach all day long about how DOs are just like MDs, and then they go into their own little caves and decide that an ACGME internship doesn't meet their snooty qualifications for licensure.
While I do think it is silly that we have to deal with these hoops, I just thought I'd mention for the record that this lack of recognition goes both ways. I am repeating my internship in my ACGME residency because the ACGME board for my specialty doesn't recognize osteopathic traditional rotating internships at all (even though all of my AOA rotations were done alongside MD residents with the exact same expectations and requirements).

Can I ask why you did an osteopathic internship year instead of a transitional year at your ACGME location? Just wondering... since a lot of clinicians here tell us it will make us better doctors.

While I do think it is silly that we have to deal with these hoops, I just thought I'd mention for the record that this lack of recognition goes both ways. I am repeating my internship in my ACGME residency because the ACGME board for my specialty doesn't recognize osteopathic traditional rotating internships at all (even though all of my AOA rotations were done alongside MD residents with the exact same expectations and requirements).

In my opinion, that's a little different. You want to graduate from an ACGME residency, so I think they have the right to require you to complete the entire residency (internship included) within the ACGME.

What the PA OMA is saying essentially is "we trust the level of training in the ACGME residency enough to allow you to practice in our state, but we demand that you do an AOA internship before you do your ACGME residency." Why? What logical basis is there besides a back-handed attempt at getting people to do AOA residencies if they don't want to have to repeat internship year? I can understand wanting certain rotations done during internship year (enter Resolution 42), but now even that isn't sufficient for them? IMO, they're just being jackasses.

I thought the wording as provided by Bacchus was quite clear. If you want to practice in Pennsylvania you MUST do an AOA internship year. I would therefore conclude that even if you were a board-certified physician, if you wanted a license in Pennsylvania as a DO you must do an AOA internship year.

I have heard of such things occurring. I have not, however, actually seen a practicing board certified physician doing an AOA TRI. Frankly, I think Pennsylvania is slitting its own throat here. There are a lot of DOs that have not completed a TRI and by not allowing them a license to practice in Pennsylvania they are quite efficiently barred from ever moving into a state that has a significant need for physicians.

Admittedly I have not read the articles referenced above. Forgot my login. :(

Yes, it is quite clear. Just, as a fledgling, I'm still learning all the terminology and rules involved, as some of them can be a bit confusing at first.

You can get the articles off of Google scholar, ShyRem. I couldn't access them through my school's library (apparently they've canceled their subscription) but Google scholar was able to download the pdf's.

In my opinion, that's a little different. You want to graduate from an ACGME residency, so I think they have the right to require you to complete the entire residency (internship included) within the ACGME.

What the PA OMA is saying essentially is "we trust the level of training in the ACGME residency enough to allow you to practice in our state, but we demand that you do an AOA internship before you do your ACGME residency." Why? What logical basis is there besides a back-handed attempt at getting people to do AOA residencies if they don't want to have to repeat internship year? I can understand wanting certain rotations done during internship year (enter Resolution 42), but now even that isn't sufficient for them? IMO, they're just being jackasses.

Because students in osteopathic rotating internships means $$ for the sponsoring hospital and, ultimately, the AOA.

Because osteopathic state medical boards care about osteopathy first, and students second. Especially students that have the temerity to pursue better training than what the AOA has to offer.

This is why osteopathic state medical licensing boards need to be abolished.

I doubt that those applying for re-licensure will be affected, ShyRem. I took it as all unlicensed students will have to complete a TRI. I don't know what happens to those residents in limbo who started before July but yet don't have a full license.

It seems POMA/SBOM and the AOA are on two separate pages. I rarely would say this, but I think the AOA is correct in this case ;). They at least realize that there are not enough residencies country-wide and thus allow resolution 42. Maybe Pennsylvania's stance is: "PCOM and LECOM collectively have enough OPTI residency spots and thus we can do this since no one would be denied a residency spot."

I do agree this is going to send a lot of people out of the state potentially if enforced. All of us here in Philadelphia can make a "short" trip across various bridges and end up in states that don't meddle in our practice. I'd like to stay here, but if my interests don't coincide with regulatory agencies I have no problem packing up and peacing out.

If anything, this is frustrating. It's frustrating enough that in order to maintain board certification as DO who has done a DO residency you have to pay the AOA, but this just adds another element on top of it because of one state's wishes.

I'll let you know, as I'm in the limbo group but I've done the required additional rotations this year to get my resolution 42 waiver approved. I'm not super intent on staying in PA to practice when I'm done, but it would be ****ing bull**** to be denied, and it would spell class action lawsuit against the SBOM. I'm guessing a case would likely go the way of CA's prop 22 in 1962, where it was reversed due to being unconstitutional. Still ****ing annoying...

I'm guessing a case would likely go the way of CA's prop 22 in 1962, where it was reversed due to being unconstitutional. Still ****ing annoying...

I think it would be unlikely that a suit would be successful (though I hope it would be). Unlike the California case, here is it "our own" that are restricting us. An osteopathic state medical board has the right to restrict the practice of osteopathic physicians in whatever way they choose. Unfortunately, by going against Resolution 42, they are abusing that right.

I called POMA a few weeks ago and explained my situation to them; the guy on the phone told me "Oh yes, just mail us a letter detailing your reasons for pursuing a residency outside of Pennsylvania. Your Resolution 42 waiver means nothing." When I asked him how PA could do this to people already in the process, he really had nothing to say other than "the Pennsylvania AOA is different than the national AOA."

I'm glad I spent $300 on the CME (which now, probably means nothing since I didn't do a presentation on OMM to my residency - HA).

This is just frustrating. So to sum it up, I can go to school in PA, going to be doing majority of my rotations in PA, thus forming most of my connections here, but if I want to go an ACGME residency I have to do an entirely extra year on top of residency despite what field in order to be able to practice in PA, either in the immediate future or at some point in the rest of my life?

This is just frustrating. So to sum it up, I can go to school in PA, going to be doing majority of my rotations in PA, thus forming most of my connections here, but if I want to go an ACGME residency I have to do an entirely extra year on top of residency despite what field in order to be able to practice in PA, either in the immediate future or at some point in the rest of my life?

I'm suprised that nobody seems to be fighting this accept to vent on message boards. I would think that both PCOM and LECOM SGAs could at least voice their concern.