So Worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladeda08

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year Health Studies student at Queen's University in Canada. I really want to go to an Optometry school after I finish my undergrad here at Queen's. I'm really worried about my marks though. I messed up my 2nd year hardcore and got extremely bad marks in Organic Chemistry I (53%) and Genetics (54%). I know Organic Chemistry is a pre-req for all schools and Genetics for some .. would these marks affect me greatly?

I also got bad marks in other non-pre-req courses that I took in 2nd year (2nd year was just a bad year for me .. personal reasons): Astronomy (50%), Linear Algebra (63%), Plant Biology (65%). Would they look at these marks too even though they're not pre-reqs?

I did fine in all my others courses such as Physics, Calculus, English, General Chemistry ..

My cumulative average is around 3.70.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What is 80%? A 3.0gpa? A little confused with the Canadian grading system.

80% is 3.2 GPA

3eb4me said:
What is 80%? A 3.0gpa? A little confused with the Canadian grading system.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's 3.6 in the undergrad that I used to go to ( University of British Columbia). 80% is A- for us.

ladeda08 said:
I'm a 3rd year Health Studies student at Queen's University in Canada. I really want to go to an Optometry school after I finish my undergrad here at Queen's. I'm really worried about my marks though. I messed up my 2nd year hardcore and got extremely bad marks in Organic Chemistry I (53%) and Genetics (54%). I know Organic Chemistry is a pre-req for all schools and Genetics for some .. would these marks affect me greatly?

I also got bad marks in other non-pre-req courses that I took in 2nd year (2nd year was just a bad year for me .. personal reasons): Astronomy (50%), Linear Algebra (63%), Plant Biology (65%). Would they look at these marks too even though they're not pre-reqs?

I did fine in all my others courses such as Physics, Calculus, English, General Chemistry ..

My cumulative average is around 3.70.

Thank you.

ok homes,
here we go...

if your gpa is 3.70 and your oat is in the competitive range you shouldn't have a problem getting into a top tier school.

you'll need to retake all those course under a 'c' for most of the schools.

aim for 370-380 on the oat

trending: if you do stellar in your 3 and 4 yr you should be fine, but if you bomb those years you can always become an optometric assistant or an optician

sorry for the tasteless jokes.