SOAP 2014 getting ready?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOAPapian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I would like to wish everyone here the best of luck with the upcoming match results.. I am not trying to get you guys more anxious!
This early thread is for guys like me who registered for the match pretty late or those who for any reason know they wont match -e.g. no interviews-
I would like to open a discussion and make sure we are all ready for SOAP

I am starting with the first question, appreciate if anyone has an answer:
Regarding applying in the first and second rounds, seems like I am having trouble finding out the exact rules? is there a specific time to apply to all 35 programs during first round or do you get to apply for 35 programs ALL THROUGH Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday? what is the best sequence to apply in regards to the offer rounds if so?

the reason behind my question is for example if you apply to all 35 programs before the first round, and you are ranked low, after the first round on Wednesday, you may find out that all the programs you applied to have filled up, thus you have no hope for the subsequent rounds until you apply to ten more programs on Thursday?

And if you apply to say 20 programs only on mon/tue, do you get to apply to more programs during the offers on Wednesday say after the first round when you know which programs have filled already?

one more question: If a program I applied to in round one has not ranked me and was not filled, does that mean they still carry my application till round two (of course its logic if they bypass you first they wil probbaly bypass you again! but just theoretically)?

it's coming soon! all help is appreciated! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I would like to wish everyone here the best of luck with the upcoming match results.. I am not trying to get you guys more anxious!
This early thread is for guys like me who registered for the match pretty late or those who for any reason know they wont match -e.g. no interviews-
I would like to open a discussion and make sure we are all ready for SOAP

I am starting with the first question, appreciate if anyone has an answer:
Regarding applying in the first and second rounds, seems like I am having trouble finding out the exact rules? is there a specific time to apply to all 35 programs during first round or do you get to apply for 35 programs ALL THROUGH Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday? what is the best sequence to apply in regards to the offer rounds if so?

the reason behind my question is for example if you apply to all 35 programs before the first round, and you are ranked low, after the first round on Wednesday, you may find out that all the programs you applied to have filled up, thus you have no hope for the subsequent rounds until you apply to ten more programs on Thursday?

And if you apply to say 20 programs only on mon/tue, do you get to apply to more programs during the offers on Wednesday say after the first round when you know which programs have filled already?

one more question: If a program I applied to in round one has not ranked me and was not filled, does that mean they still carry my application till round two (of course its logic if they bypass you first they wil probbaly bypass you again! but just theoretically)?

it's coming soon! all help is appreciated! thanks!

Here is a great first hand account of how the SOAP works:
http://md2bgrecoa3.com/2013/06/04/a-first-hand-account-of-the-soap/

You apply to 35 all together when soap opens. You can add 10 more applications on Thursday (not sure about what day it is exactly). Anyone you have already applied to in the intial 35 do not have to be applied to again. So it is 35 initally and a new 10 on that thursday.

Why wouldn't you want to send all 35 initally anyways? The more programs you apply to - the better your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the replies..
please note that this year SOAP schedule is different than last year.
I found this link on AAMC
https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/eras/328454/soap-schedule.html
so let me refine my question here:

you start first cycle (35 programs) "Applicants begin applying to programs in ERAS: Mon., March 17, 1 p.m."
then wait for first offer rounds "NRMP Offer Period 1: Wed., March 19, 12 p.m.— 2 p.m."
then you can start to apply for 10 more programs "Apply to a max of 10 programs (any combination of new and reapplies) starting at 2:30 p.m. ET on Wed."
As such, you get to see the full list of the remaining positions after first round is over,
however, your new 10 applications will not help you in round two, because the programs have already certified their ROLs for that round "NRMP Offer Period 2: Wed., March 19, 3 p.m.— 5 p.m." YET, if you apply to 10 programs that were open after round 1, but they get filled with round 2, then you lost your chances for the next three rounds on thursday..
the question is: should I wait on wednesday and apply to the next 10 positions AFTER 5 pm when I know which programs are still open?
or would it be too late then? I mean in terms of PDs would have already downloaded new applications and started vetting them for the new ROLs for thursday? but then again, as a counter arguments, PDs are not sure if they will fill or not after round 2, so may be they are also waiting to see the results of this round before checking new applications?
I guess the question that should be asked to NRMP is "am I still able t apply to my extra 10 programs on Wednesday after 5pm or is there a time window I have to stick to?"

Am I giving this too much thought? :)

You are correct that the initial 35 applications are used for the first and second rounds. Technically the 2nd burst of 10 ERAS applications occurs before the 2nd SOAP round, but there isn't enough time to review applications. Therefore, I would wait until after the 2nd round to use your next 10 applications. At that point, the next round won't be until 9AM on Wednesday, and you can hope that PD's who remain unfilled after the 2nd round will be looking at new applications in the evening.

But most of the positions are taken in the 1st and 2nd rounds. I only seem to have the data from the 2012 match. There were 1131 spots in SOAP. 580 were taken in round 1, and 284 in Round 2 = 864 on Day 1. 267 spots were open starting on Day 2 -- 115 taken in the 3rd round, 32 in Round 4, and then almost nothing after that (there were 8 rounds in 2012). So, bottom line, the first 35 apps are the critical ones, since after the first two rounds the number of spots remaining is quite small.

Reactions: 1 user
You are correct that the initial 35 applications are used for the first and second rounds. Technically the 2nd burst of 10 ERAS applications occurs before the 2nd SOAP round, but there isn't enough time to review applications. Therefore, I would wait until after the 2nd round to use your next 10 applications. At that point, the next round won't be until 9AM on Wednesday, and you can hope that PD's who remain unfilled after the 2nd round will be looking at new applications in the evening.

But most of the positions are taken in the 1st and 2nd rounds. I only seem to have the data from the 2012 match. There were 1131 spots in SOAP. 580 were taken in round 1, and 284 in Round 2 = 864 on Day 1. 267 spots were open starting on Day 2 -- 115 taken in the 3rd round, 32 in Round 4, and then almost nothing after that (there were 8 rounds in 2012). So, bottom line, the first 35 apps are the critical ones, since after the first two rounds the number of spots remaining is quite small.

Thank you for the thorough reply.. and yes, I know now that chances get much slimmer with every passing round, but you know, its hope and only hope that keeps us alive :)
Best of luck to everyone!

I am ready. Ready because I have a reason to be.

Anybody who knows me on SDN knows what happened (aPD, L2D and others gave me good advice - thanks). I'm an allopathic US grad who left a residency program, went through the Match/SOAP last year and I'm hoping for the best tomorrow.

Best of luck to you all (I'll include myself on that).

Reactions: 4 users
Are the unfilled spots first come, first serve type of thing, such that there would be a mad rush at 1 pm on monday? Also, would programs only accept a limited amount of applications from applicants? Not sure If my question is clear to you guys.

Are the unfilled spots first come, first serve type of thing, such that there would be a mad rush at 1 pm on monday? Also, would programs only accept a limited amount of applications from applicants? Not sure If my question is clear to you guys.
What is clear is that you haven't read the SOAP FAQ. Come back when you have.

sorry, I've been looking through the threads and haven't really found a proper answer, but I can figure it out. Thanks!

I couldn't find answer to HIIT's question above either, can some one shed some light. Thks

I couldn't find answer to HIIT's question above either, can some one shed some light. Thks
No they are not first come, first served. The list of unfilled positions will be available today at noon. All SOAP applicants can begin to apply at 1pm today. Check out the following link for the entire SOAP week schedule. The first round of offers goes out on Wednesday at noon. http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...ploads/2014/02/2014-Match-Week-Schedule-3.pdf

Then you didn't read the FAQ I linked to.

so, hello SOAPing people like me!!
applications sent and now we wait till wednesday? any idea when to expect program calls, if any? later tonight? tomorrow all day?

so, hello SOAPing people like me!!
applications sent and now we wait till wednesday? any idea when to expect program calls, if any? later tonight? tomorrow all day?
They may interview you, ask for letters, set up a Skype or give you an email phone number where supporters can contact them. This can go on until Wednesday when the first set of offers go out.

Thank you.. All I'm doing now is more research on the programs I applied to today and playing the waiting game!!
Also binge watching house of cards!
Let's wish everybody here good luck!

2014 SOAP thread seems slower than last year. Fewer people SOAPing?

Or maybe someone needs to start a dedicated 2014 SOAP thread, since there are currently three on random topics.

agreed, I hoped this would have been the dedicated SOAP thread, but I was surprised that not so many people are on here..
does anyone think its just a lack of many SOAP applicants this year or just a lack of SOAP applicants on this site?