SOAP specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exeunt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious what specialties most people are able to successfully SOAP into? i am applying to a competitive field and don't anticipate any spots to be open if i don't match. i will also be ranking prelims so if i do SOAP it would have to be something non-categorical and was wondering what would be feasible as i wouldn't be eligible for IM, FM etc. are people able to soap into anesthesia, rads (not sure what else that is non categorical)?

Members don't see this ad.

just curious what specialties most people are able to successfully SOAP into? i am applying to a competitive field and don't anticipate any spots to be open if i don't match. i will also be ranking prelims so if i do SOAP it would have to be something non-categorical and was wondering what would be feasible as i wouldn't be eligible for IM, FM etc. are people able to soap into anesthesia, rads (not sure what else that is non categorical)?
Looking only at "advanced" positions for the last couple years, by far the most likely thing is radiology. Last year, there were 107 PGY2 advanced spots in the SOAP, of which 53 were radiology positions. In 2013, 46/89 advanced spots were rads. The next largest was anesthesia with 31 in 2014 and 13 in 2013. Then neuro with 10/9. Everything else was pretty much nonexistant.

Edit: Damnable cross cover pages. APD beat me to it :p