Social Media Use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

As an undergraduate do you guys use social media at all like facebook, twitter, instagram, and etc. Do you guys find it distracting at all and feel it may interfere with getting best possible grades? You think it's better to just delete all social media so one can focus solely on school?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course it's distracting, but a life without any social media would probably be pretty boring.

Your grades just need to be good enough; you don't need the "best possible grades."

Reactions: 1 user
As an undergraduate do you guys use social media at all like facebook, twitter, instagram, and etc. Yes.

Do you guys find it distracting at all and feel it may interfere with getting best possible grades? Only if you let it.

You think it's better to just delete all social media so one can focus solely on school? You certainly have a choice to delete all social media if that's what you choose to do, but studying 24/7 doesn't sound like a very happy and balanced way to live.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did not use social media while in college. I did not find my life to be much different from then on, if at all. I actually did better, academically speaking, because I stopped spending so much time looking at the "perfect lives" of others, and countless stupid posts of photos with food and girls posing in the same manner in every photo. I think I actually slowed down the loss of brain cells by a lot.

I had a lot of friends, and the ones that I wanted to keep in touch with were added to my phone, so we texted/called instead of "facebooked". When not studying or at the gym, I was exploring hobbies, doing research, hanging out with friends (a lot), so I didn't find it to have any negative effects on my life. In fact, I was probably happier. It's quite sad that people (read: many, but certainly not all, people) spend so much time polishing up their facebooks and looking at others' profiles when they could be doing things that are much more fun/substantial/meaningful. You won't die if you don't see what everybody is doing all day.

Reactions: 9 users
Yes it can be distracting, but it depends on how you react I to it. If you find that you think you'll spend two minutes and end up spending two hours, you may have a problem. If you can pace yourself and be disciplined you'll be fine.

I've had to fight to learn some discipline recently because Facebook is much preferred over MCAT study once I hit the physical science stuff.

I did not use social media while in college. I did not find my life to be much different from then on, if at all. I actually did better, academically speaking, because I stopped spending so much time looking at the "perfect lives" of others, and countless stupid posts of photos with food and girls posing in the same manner in every photo. I think I actually slowed down the loss of brain cells by a lot.

I had a lot of friends, and the ones that I wanted to keep in touch with were added to my phone, so we texted/called instead of "facebooked". When not studying or at the gym, I was exploring hobbies, doing research, hanging out with friends (a lot), so I didn't find it to have any negative effects on my life. In fact, I was probably happier. It's quite sad that people (read: many, but certainly not all, people) spend so much time polishing up their facebooks and looking at others' profiles when they could be doing things that are much more fun/substantial/meaningful. You won't die if you don't see what everybody is doing all day.

I agree with you which is why I am considering deleting my social medias. The part of it slowing down brain cells I agree with you.

I find Facebook useful for event planning and such. My medical school class also shares a lot of information and study guides solely on our FB page... so I find it to be utilitarian. I rarely use FB just to look around at what people are up to anymore.

Who doesn't use social media? We all do. And no it is not distracting, only on Instagram when the chick's post squat progress pics. :naughty:

Who doesn't use social media? We all do. And no it is not distracting, only on Instagram when the chick's post squat progress pics. :naughty:
When I got off social media I quit getting laid. I had two dates the first week I resurfaced. Make of that what you will. I'm never leaving again.

It's called moderation, OP. What are you like 12?

Reactions: 2 users
When I got off social media I quit getting laid. I had two dates the first week I resurfaced. Make of that what you will. I'm never leaving again.

It's called moderation, OP. What are you like 12?
That's interesting.

LOL for me it is different, I like to meet girls in public or school, not on social media.

I'm on Facebook all the time because I chat a lot with my friends on it, but I barely post anything anymore. Facebook seems to be all about pictures nowadays and I barely take any, so I have nothing to post. I use Twitter a lot though, because I'm a big sports fan and it's a great platform for me to follow my favorite sports teams, blogs, analysts, etc. and get real-time updates and news.

I'm not on Instagram or Snapchat and don't plan to be. Those apps are useless for me.

As an undergraduate do you guys use social media at all like facebook, twitter, instagram, and etc.

Nope. None of my friends do either...

Do you guys find it distracting at all and feel it may interfere with getting best possible grades?

I waste tons of time on other activities far more unhealthy and addictive, and still have no problems getting good grades. Point being, getting the "best possible grades" shouldn't take a whole lot of effort, otherwise you're doing it wrong. Getting good grades should be a distraction to your ECs, not the other way around.

You think it's better to just delete all social media so one can focus solely on school?

I have a facebook on the off chance I need to contact a highschool acquaintance (I haven't logged in to it in over a year). It's worth keeping for the contact info IMO. Also, the focus should really be on extracurriculars, since 99% of undergrad classes consist of either memorization followed by regurgitation or reading comprehension, both of which don't really take up a whole lot of time...

Members don't see this ad :)
As an undergraduate do you guys use social media at all like facebook, twitter, instagram, and etc.

Nope. None of my friends do either...

Do you guys find it distracting at all and feel it may interfere with getting best possible grades?

I waste tons of time on other activities far more unhealthy and addictive, and still have no problems getting good grades. Point being, getting the "best possible grades" shouldn't take a whole lot of effort, otherwise you're doing it wrong. Getting good grades should be a distraction to your ECs, not the other way around.

You think it's better to just delete all social media so one can focus solely on school?

I have a facebook on the off chance I need to contact a highschool acquaintance (I haven't logged in to it in over a year). It's worth keeping for the contact info IMO. Also, the focus should really be on extracurriculars, since 99% of undergrad classes consist of either memorization followed by regurgitation or reading comprehension, both of which don't really take up a whole lot of time...

I wonder if this post could be any more arrogant.

Reactions: 7 users
I use Facebook more for messenger and groups. I'm not someone who can sit on for hours just scrolling. It makes group messaging easier to meet up with groups for projects or to discuss homework (especially when someone doesn't have a smartphone). Then a lot of my clubs use FB groups to post about meetings/events/etc...

I also use twitter so I can get sports/news updates 5 minutes before everyone else.

I wonder if this post could be any more arrogant.
According to his logic getting in medical school is so easy a caveman could do it; he must be so gifted *bows to his supreme intelligence*

I hear this logic on SDN alot, "It shouldn't be that hard to get good grades." Most of those people are sitting at a 3.6 and that's good enough for them.

But I digress.

Reactions: 2 users
In all seriousness OP, it's all about time management. I pretty much know when I can and can't spare time. If I think I might go out for the night I consider where I'm at with my school work and if I can spare 6-4 hours. If I feel iffy I stay at home. Most of the time I'm staying home lol. But I promised myself this semester I'd go out more and by tweaking certain habits in my day I've been able to maximize efficiency and make more time for fun.

Just try cutting the fat out of your day OP. I always try to give myself one show of Netflix a night, too. Netflix keeps me sane

Are you saying that these people who continually say getting good grades isn't that hard only have a 3.6? or that they obsess over grades and that 3.6 is good enough?

I haven't been on facebook for probably 3 years, and I have never used twitter, instagram, etc. I used to play tetris battle on facebook, but I started getting a lag and so stopped. None of the activities in which I participate outside of class uses any social media either.

I think social media can be useful for certain things, and if a person isn't really interested in those things for which it is useful, it is not useful, and using something that's not useful is a waste of time.

Yes I do use facebook quite a lot and found myself using it more now that it's final season. I have considered deactivating fb every time finals come around and never got to it. I think you just have to be strong and resist the temptation.

I think browsing on SDN is probably the #1 distractor right now though

If you need to "focus solely on school" with no distractions in undergrad, you are absolutely screwed in medical school. College is supposed to be the fun and relatively easy period of your life.

My problem is that any time I start work on my laptop or move to a new computer (it could be back-to-back even!), I need to do my 15-60 minute patrol on Facebook/e-mail/Youtube/SDN.

Other than that, I'm usually okay with social media.

My problem is that any time I start work on my laptop or move to a new computer (it could be back-to-back even!), I need to do my 15-60 minute patrol on Facebook/e-mail/Youtube/SDN.

Other than that, I'm usually okay with social media.
Pretty much the same. Also spend like 20 minutes on my phone when I first wake up....then have to rush to get ready and eat in another 20-30 minutes lol

Pretty much the same. Also spend like 20 minutes on my phone when I first wake up....then have to rush to get ready and eat in another 20-30 minutes lol
I push the boundaries for how late I can get up and get to class on time more and more as time goes by. I actually kind of look forward to it now, lol.

Deleting facebook was the best thing I ever did on that site. It's an annoying distraction and liability.

Deleting facebook was the best thing I ever did on that site. It's an annoying distraction and liability.
How many people actually keep their FB disabled though?

How many people actually keep their FB disabled though?

not many. a lot of people get way too sucked into it and just reactivate it quickly after they try.

The pros associated with social media to me are can see what friends are upto and it's fun, entertaining, and interesting. The cons associated with it are addiction, spending too much time on social media and less time on school and interacting with people. It takes away from reality and real life, and too much time can cause slow down of brain cells. Based on all that idk...if it's worth deleting my accounts or keeping them. I have a twitter and instagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit all social media except Facebook (which no one uses) about four months back. And I just found it was a lot easier to focus on other aspects of my life. If you choose to read instead, you get a whole lot more back from your time. In the grand scheme of social media 60%+ is useless about people you don't care about. I still text, hangout, and use Facebook for clubs and am normal. But your retention and grades will improve. if you like socializing more than work, which we all do. Go for it. Cut back social media to less than a half hour a day or maybe none at all. Let me tell you you're going to miss out on nothing. Keep email for business and Facebook for practical reasons. Twitter and all of its comrades really aren't necessary.

I highly recommend it!

I quit all social media except Facebook (which no one uses) about four months back. And I just found it was a lot easier to focus on other aspects of my life. If you choose to read instead, you get a whole lot more back from your time. In the grand scheme of social media 60%+ is useless about people you don't care about. I still text, hangout, and use Facebook for clubs but your retention and grades will improve if you like socializing more than work. Which we all do.

I highly recommend it!

highly recommend what? Deleting all social media I have? When you say quit did you delete all your social media? But without any social media it feels like one is a loser. My friends and people will wonder about my life and it's always good for good friends to see what I am doing in and with my life.

highly recommend what? Deleting all social media I have? When you say quit did you delete all your social media? But without any social media it feels like one is a loser. My friends and people will wonder about my life and it's always good for good friends to see what I am doing in and with my life.
What I mean is delete the ones that are non essential. Most people can be a social butterfly and keep up with their friends just fine with only twitter. But your time is the most valuable really. I mean if you're spending a lot of time on these sites, the most important thing is that you become a doctor. So really some people thinking you're a loser will hold no weight when you have Dr. In front of your name. Plus if they think you're a loser for deleting social media, those aren't the people who you should value. What'll be great is when your good friends see that you're in med school, not that you're in cabo for spring break.

Last edited:
What I mean is delete the ones that are non essential. Most people can be a social butterfly and keep up with their friends just fine with only twitter

I was actually thinking about deleting my twitter account, and keeping only my instagram. But ya there are lots of pros and cons associated with deleting all social media one has vs keeping them. Such a tough decision.

I was actually thinking about deleting my twitter account, and keeping only my instagram. But ya there are lots of pros and cons associated with deleting all social media one has vs keeping them. Such a tough decision.
Id say bottom line is that grades are the most important and that's why I made the switch to only Facebook. Do whatever you need to do to have the best future. Whatever decision you make now should reflect your future. So if you could be studying in that time or volunteering instead, that is much more valuable than hearing about your friends post pointless updates. Honestly I got sick of hearing about the weather 30 tweets in a row. My grades dipped a bit because I was on twitter too much anyways. I wanted to sell my account, but I ended up just deleting it.

Id say bottom line is that grades are the most important and that's why I made the switch to only Facebook. Do whatever you need to do to have the best future. Whatever decision you make now should reflect your future. So if you could be studying in that time or volunteering instead, that is much more valuable than hearing about your friends post pointless updates. Honestly I got sick of hearing about the weather 30 tweets in a row. My grades dipped a bit because I was on twitter too much anyways. I wanted to sell my account, but I ended up just deleting it.

Ya I feel you about your grades dipping because of twitter. Reason why I feel like deleting my twitter as well and maybe instagram too. I need to do what's best for me and not what's popular so I can focus and reach my true potential.

I use fb/instagram because they're fun, plain and simple. I rarely post stuff myself, but looking at what my people post (articles, pictures, opinion pieces) is quite enjoyable. Mostly because a good portion of it is absurd and downright entertaining to read (I have some weird "friends").

Sure, it's distracting sometimes, but so are food, tv, dates, and so on. Everything in moderation,

I use fb/instagram because they're fun, plain and simple. I rarely post stuff myself, but looking at what my people post (articles, pictures, opinion pieces) is quite enjoyable. Mostly because a good portion of it is absurd and downright entertaining to read (I have some weird "friends").

Sure, it's distracting sometimes, but so are food, tv, dates, and so on. Everything in moderation,

Ya those are some of the pros associated with social media that I listed in one of my above posts. And the cons like I said earlier are addiction, spending too much time on social media and less time on school and interacting with people. It takes away from reality and real life, and too much time can cause slow down of brain cells.

There is more to life than "getting the best possible grades" as you mentioned in your original post. The thought of some poor undergraduate kid locking himself up in his room for 18 hours a day studying with no facebook, phone, video games, or social life makes me laugh. Jesus some of us premeds are way too cut throat. There is nothing wrong with Facebook as long as you arent on it 20 hours a day.

And the cons like I said earlier are addiction, spending too much time on social media and less time on school and interacting with people. It takes away from reality and real life, and too much time can cause slow down of brain cells.

I wouldn't call those the cons of social media, I would say those are the cons of having not enough self control and the inability to lead a balanced life. In and of itself, social media does not necessarily cause those things

Like my senior year one of the kids in my class told me to knock it off when I was on my phone. In that class I was on phone most part and not into lecture. Same in my psych class once kid next too me tapped my shoulder and told me to put my phone down and listen to professor. It's those kinds of things too.