Solid stats, decent EC's, Need advice with current school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Dream

Eating the 5 pancakes
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get MSAR it'll answer all your questions about school lists. The MD programs you listed are fine just add several more of those types and that should be enough

Minnesota, Nebraska, throw some michigan in there, sprinkle some missouri, dash of Illinois, and maybe a hint of something southern

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I just got the MSAR and am going through it tonight to pick out schools. I'll post my final list tomorrow and see what you all think

With scores and clinical experience, lack of research shouldn't hold you back anywhere but the research heavy schools. Most people have pretty shallow and short term research experience, I feel. Won't make too much of a difference for you since I think you did a good job of targeting schools that would fit your mission. Texas might like your numbers but you're probably better off in the other southern states.

Reactions: 1 users
With scores and clinical experience, lack of research shouldn't hold you back anywhere but the research heavy schools. Most people have pretty shallow and short term research experience, I feel. Won't make too much of a difference for you since I think you did a good job of targeting schools that would fit your mission. Texas might like your numbers but you're probably better off in the other southern states.
Yea I see myself as more of a clinician in the future and not really involved with research... But who knows. Do Texas schools even really consider OOS applicants?

UAB has very solid rural MD-ties. I'm sure many other schools do as well. Don't discount MD just because you want to do primary care.

You might even be rejected from DO for having stats that seem like you're applying as safeties.

EDITED because I'm a good person.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Lost in Translation , thanks for the advice. UAB has a rural program but they only allow Alabama residents in, which disqualifies me. A lot of public schools with rural tracks are like that I think. I also don't think having relatively higher stats than the typical DO applicant necessarily disqualifies from the degree. As long as I can communicate my reasons for applying I think it'll be fine.

Alright so here's the list I came up with

Wisconsin
MCW
Iowa
Indiana
Creighton
East Virginia
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Loyola
Rush
St. Louis
Jefferson
Tulane
Miami-FL
Rochester
West Virginia
VCU
Temple (maybe)
Buffalo (maybe)
NY med college (maybe)
Western Mich (maybe)
Dartmouth - rural
Columbia - rural
Tufts - rural ---> Looks like they want people to stay in Maine
DMU
CCOM
KCOM (maybe)
KCUMB (maybe)

I'll have to do more research with the rural programs to see what they're specifically looking for, but those peaked my interest. How does this school list look? Anything I should add/delete?

You don't have to apply to UAB's rural program directly. When you're accepted, you're assigned 1 of 4 campuses that you'll be doing your 3rd (and maybe 4th if you want) year at. 2 (or 3) of those are rural locations, offering a very different kind of clerkship experience.

School list looks fine otherwise.

Ah okay. Most places like that still would probably only accept people who want to stay and practice in the state though, no?

That I don't know. Though I would be more inclined to say yes.

@Lost in Translation , thanks for the advice. UAB has a rural program but they only allow Alabama residents in, which disqualifies me. A lot of public schools with rural tracks are like that I think. I also don't think having relatively higher stats than the typical DO applicant necessarily disqualifies from the degree. As long as I can communicate my reasons for applying I think it'll be fine.

Alright so here's the list I came up with

Wisconsin
MCW
Iowa
Indiana
Creighton
East Virginia
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Loyola
Rush
St. Louis
Jefferson
Tulane
Miami-FL
Rochester
West Virginia
VCU
Temple (maybe)
Buffalo (maybe)
NY med college (maybe)
Western Mich (maybe)
Dartmouth - rural
Columbia - rural
Tufts - rural ---> Looks like they want people to stay in Maine
DMU
CCOM
KCOM (maybe)
KCUMB (maybe)

I'll have to do more research with the rural programs to see what they're specifically looking for, but those peaked my interest. How does this school list look? Anything I should add/delete?

I'd def add Wayne State,

Don't know if this applies to anyone else, my rule of them for OOS schools was that anything under a 1% wasn't worth applying to, Exceptions of course being some of the PA private schools

I'd def add Wayne State,

Don't know if this applies to anyone else, my rule of them for OOS schools was that anything under a 1% wasn't worth applying to, Exceptions of course being some of the PA private schools
Will do. What do you mean by under 1%?

Will do. What do you mean by under 1%?

You should really get MSAR, its like $20 (and the numbers are accurate, official AAMC website)

https://services.aamc.org/msar/home#3802

For each school they will show in-state accepted out of total in state applicants. Likewise they will have the same data for out of state.

Ex. Wayne state OOS applicants 2438, interviewed 171, accepted 40.... ~1.5% chance

You should really get MSAR, its like $20 (and the numbers are accurate, official AAMC website)

https://services.aamc.org/msar/home#3802

For each school they will show in-state accepted out of total in state applicants. Likewise they will have the same data for out of state.

Ex. Wayne state OOS applicants 2438, interviewed 171, accepted 40.... ~1.5% chance
Yep I have the MSAR! That's how I made this school list, just wasn't sure what you meant. Wayne state OOS acceptance rate is actually probably greater than 1.5% because we're looking at matriculants. Is there anyway to find in the MSAR the number of people accepted, and not just matriculated?

Yep I have the MSAR! That's how I made this school list, just wasn't sure what you meant. Wayne state OOS acceptance rate is actually probably greater than 1.5% because we're looking at matriculants. Is there anyway to find in the MSAR the number of people accepted, and not just matriculated?

No way to check the matriculants unfortunately, I know you were interested in the TX schools. They are state mandated to accept no more than 10% of their entering class as OOS. The application is very cheap however, $100 for 5 schools roughly, most don't have secondaries

No way to check the matriculants unfortunately, I know you were interested in the TX schools. They are state mandated to accept no more than 10% of their entering class as OOS. The application is very cheap however, $100 for 5 schools roughly, most don't have secondaries
Wow that is cheap. Might be worth looking in to then. Thanks Optimus Prime.