some crna comments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

criticalelement

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Secretary Robert A. McDonald:

As a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA), I would like to express my full support for recognizing advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs), including CRNAs, in the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) with Full Practice Authority.

APRN's and CRNAs practicing to the top of their training and expertise has been backed by decades of research. Not only does the Institute of Medicine report that anesthesia is 50 times safer than in the early 1980s, but a major study published in Health Affairs found that anesthesia care by CRNAs was equally safe with or without physician supervision. The safety of CRNA services is further underscored in that the VHA currently does not require anesthesiologist or physician supervision of CRNAs, and in a number of VHA facilities CRNAs are the sole anesthesia providers.

I strongly urge you to move forward with the proposed change for APRNs and CRNAs. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Amber Baxter
8836 Ebenezer Oaks Ln
Knoxville, TN 37922-1468
As an advanced practice nurse from a family of veterans, I support American veterans and their right to safe, timely and effective healthcare. Both my father and brother are combat veterans and have needed and received care at VA facilities. They put their lives on the line in service to our country, and I believe they deserve the best possible medical care without substantial delays and wait times. Advanced practice nurses provide safe and effective care within our scope of practice. Furthermore, APRNs bring nursing skills to their clinical practice, taking more time to educate and support patients to achieve goals of their choosing. Patient outcomes are equivalent if not better at times when cared for by nurse practitioners, nurse midwives and nurse anesthetists. I strongly support passage of this legislation without revision to grant all Advanced Nurse Practitioners full practice authority within the Veterans Healthcare System. This legislation does negatively affect or limit physicians who care for veterans in any capacity. It simply allows advanced practice nurses the ability to practice as they have been trained to do in all VA facilities. This will enhance and streamline healthcare provided to veterans. It is a logical extension of the health services the veterans and their dependents received on active duty and ensures that all who need care will receive it in the most timely and cohesive way possible. Interdisciplinary teamwork and care benefits all involved especially the veterans who receive the care they need from those who are trained and licensed to provide it.
Sincerely,
Elizabeth Heavey, Ph.D., R.N., C.N.M.
Graduate Program Coordinator
Associate Professor of Nursing
The College at Brockport

As a practicing CRNA, I would like to express my full support for the proposal to recognize Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs), including Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs), with Full Practice Authority. This policy is supported not only by CRNAs, but by individual Veterans, national and local Veteran's organizations, and other healthcare providers around the country.

Granting APRNs, including CRNAs, the authority to practice to the full extent of their scope of practice and expertise will give the VHA the flexibility it needs to provide our Veterans with timely access to the high quality care they have earned. The wait-times our Veterans are experiencing are unacceptable, especially when there is a highly-trained, highly-skilled workforce already within the VHA ready to provide care.

I strongly urge you to move forward with the proposed change for APRNs and CRNAs. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Rob Burcham
1429 N 2nd St
Sheboygan, WI 53081-3529

Members don't see this ad.

Secretary Robert A. McDonald
US Department of Veterans Affairs
810 Vermont Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20420-0001

Dear Secretary McDonald,

As a Nurse Practitioner I am writing to express my support for the proposed rule [RIN: 2900-AP44 - Proposed Rule - Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (81 Fed. Reg. 33155, May 25, 2016)] which addresses the growing demand for health care services within the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) by allowing our nation's veterans to have direct access to high quality health care delivered by Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs), including nurse practitioners (NPs).

As you know over 6,000 APRNs, of which over 4,000 are NPs, currently provide a full range of services to our veterans in the VHA. The safety of APRN services has long been recognized by the VHA and underscored by peer-reviewed scientific studies. These studies have proven consistently that the care provided by APRNs, practicing to the full scope of their education and preparation is equal to the care of their physician counterparts. This large and ever growing body of evidence has led the National Academy of Medicine (formerly the Institute of Medicine), AARP, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the National Governors Association, and the Federal Trade Commission to encourage providing patients direct access to APRNs.

Limiting APRN practice within the VHA impairs access to care, risks lengthening delays in health care delivery, increases healthcare costs, and fails to promote patient safety. That is why I urge you to move forward with this proposed rule. By finalizing and implementing this rule we will be ensuring that our veterans receive timely, high quality health care.

Swift enactment of this policy update will provide veterans with direct access to the safe, high quality, patient-centered care that NPs have provided for more than 50 years. Thank you for your time and consideration on this important matter.

Comment Now!
Due Jul 25 2016, at 11:59 PM ET
ID: VA-2016-VHA-0011-21478
Tracking Number: 1k0-8q3a-ckll
Document Information
Date Posted:Jun 9, 2016
RIN:2900-AP44
Search
About Us
Resources
Help
Connect With
  • upload_2016-6-17_15-4-15.png
  • upload_2016-6-17_15-4-15.png

Contact Us

Partner Sites
external-link_brown.png

As a practicing Registered Nurse and healthcare professional, I would like to express my full support for the VA's effort to recognize advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs) with Full Practice Authority. Giving all APRNs including Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs) full scope practice practice authority (independent practice) it will improve the VA healthcare system, decrease wait times, without any compromise in safety. By taking such action, the VA will be aligned with current U.S. Department of Defense policy that does allow APRNs to practice to the full extent of their practice authority in all military service branches. The VA is the last federal health agency to restrict APRNs from practicing to their Full Practice Authority. If autonomous APRN practice is appropriate for active duty military personnel, it is also appropriate for military Veterans. Please take immediate action to implement this evidence-based, Veterans-first policy.

Sincerely,
Maci Hunt
1161 S 1950 W
Delta, UT 84624-7970

Members don't see this ad :)

As a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA), I would like to express my full support for recognizing advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs), including CRNAs, in the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) with Full Practice Authority. Given our Veterans need for high quality healthcare, fully utilizing CRNA and APRN practice in the VHA promotes Veterans' access to care, reduces delays in healthcare delivery, decreases healthcare costs, upholds patient safety, and puts our Veterans first.

Over 900 CRNAs provide every type of anesthesia care, as well as chronic pain management services, for our Veterans in the VHA. The safety of CRNA services has long been recognized by the VHA and underscored by peer-reviewed scientific studies, including a major study published in Health Affairs which found that anesthesia care by CRNAs was equally safe with or without physician supervision.

I strongly urge you to move forward with the proposed change for APRNs and CRNAs.

Sincerely,
Sarah Hibel
2300 Amherst Ave
Orlando, FL 32804-5402

They have major studies though. lol.