Some DO schools don't consider SMPs? How to proceed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1026444

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Admissions deans aren't stupid. They can read transcripts and are also familiar with grads of programs that have supplied their schools with students.

Your low MCAT score is probably your biggest hindrance, but it appears that you failed two SMP courses? If so, that's close to being a kiss death. You need to have a 3.5 GPA consistently through the program. Otherwise, it's a sign that you will struggle mightily in med school

DO schools do NOT do grade replacement anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Goro, I've been lurking around the forums a bit and highly respect and appreciate the advice you provide.

I realize this is a huge red flag to have. I struggled in my first year but have been doing a better (top 25% in the last 4 courses and #1 in the last course) now that I've improved my study habits (probably shouldn't have jumped straight from undergrad to SMP but can't change the past).

I'm aware of the AACOMAS policy change with regards to grade replacement. I know 3 schools who still do grade replacement but was asking if anyone knew of schools that still did grade replacement but just did not report it on their website.

I'm aiming for a 510+ on my MCAT. I've been scoring around that on my practice tests and plan to take it 3 months from now. Would you have any advice for me? I've heard some people suggest retaking 30-40 credits worth of the science pre-reqs which according to my calculation should bring up my sGPA to a 3.0 and 3.17cGPA assuming I 4.0 everything (very risky but possible)

Thanks Again :)
I suggest at least one more year to try to get your GPA as close to 3.0 as possible, and to apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user