Do upward trends in SMPs mean anything if the overall GPA is low? (applying DO only)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catcatcat45

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Low SMP GPA of 3.2

502 MCAT, retaking in January

trend in SMP 3.0 --> 2.9 --> 3.4 --> 3.7

I don't really have a bull**** excuse as to why I couldn't handle it in the beginning. It was just an extremely difficult workload that I'd never encountered before and it took some time before I learned how to handle it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say no. Assuming that your SMP is a year, that is the time to do well in it.

Reactions: 1 user
Low SMP GPA of 3.2

502 MCAT, retaking in January

trend in SMP 3.0 --> 2.9 --> 3.4 --> 3.7

I don't really have a bull**** excuse as to why I couldn't handle it in the beginning. It was just an extremely difficult workload that I'd never encountered before and it took some time before I learned how to handle it.

I can't sugar coat this, this is NOT good. You're supposed to ace an SMP.

IF your SMP is at a host medical school, your chances are best there.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to say your cooked :(
Eventhough it’s an upward trend the overall is what most programs will see/care about. But it also depends on your undergrad science and overall gpa.. if it’s less than 3.4/3.5 it will be even more challenging with a 502 mcat, as most DO schools have averages at that or above that now a days

Reactions: 1 user