some much needed questions to be answered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxietypeaker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Are all medical doctors in walter/bethesda/etc. on salary (a la govt employees, not just contracted out)?
2) Do they all hold a specific rank in a branch?
3) any thoughts on the super medical center the military is making...the combining of walter with bethesda etc etc. Since the center has a med school, research, teaching, etc, there is a comparison to draw between it and the other trad. academic med schools. do you think it will really be able to rival academic medical centers in TEACHING, CARE, AND RESEARCH?
4) what are the avenues of joining as a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

You are right, these were much needed questions!

anxietypeaker said:
1) Are all medical doctors in walter/bethesda/etc. on salary (a la govt employees, not just contracted out)?
2) Do they all hold a specific rank in a branch?
3) any thoughts on the super medical center the military is making...the combining of walter with bethesda etc etc. Since the center has a med school, research, teaching, etc, there is a comparison to draw between it and the other trad. academic med schools. do you think it will really be able to rival academic medical centers in TEACHING, CARE, AND RESEARCH?
4) what are the avenues of joining as a physician?

1)No, there are several physicians at those hospitals who are "contractors" and are not on active duty nor are they govt service (GS) employees

2)No, not all doctors there hold rank or are they/have ever been in the military. I would say most do, but not all

3)It will be able to rival some I would imagine

4)USUHS, HPSP, FAP - military medical school, regular medical school, join after residency (I think that's it)

Members don't see this ad :)
there arent too many people going into academic military health/research after USHS im guessing...it appears that the edward med school only allows civilians to go tenure track professor. Meaning, with the military commitment, a physician who went ushs wont be able to pursue that track. Is that true? Essentially, a doc from ushs PROBABLY wont be able to get into academic (w/ research medicine), even at edward med school...right?

anxietypeaker said:
there arent too many people going into academic military health/research after USHS im guessing...it appears that the edward med school only allows civilians to go tenure track professor. Meaning, with the military commitment, a physian wont be able to pursue that track. Is that true?

Not quite sure what you're asking here? are you referring to the MD/PHD program or are you asking about the professors at USUHS? If you are asking about the professors there are many active duty professors at USUHS. Many of them hold academic positions at USUHS while doing their clinical stuff at one of the many hospitals, some are only assigned to USUHS.

Edward med school prevents military personel from going tenure track. It explicitly says that track is only for civilians. The nontenure track is available for military personnel. So, what im kinda worried about in applying to ushs (im gonna be a third year college), is what if i wanna go tenure track (nontenure track i hear requires much more clinical service, meaning no protected research time). My concern is with so many years of military service committment, i cant even begin tenure track until 10 (?) years of service, which im GUESSING would hurt my app to tenure track positions at edward and civ med schools...Essentially, what are my prospects of being able to do research as a tenured professor if i go to usuhs (keeping in mind the military committment, civ can only go tenure track at edwards). My DREAM (haha) career would be a tenured professor at edwards doing basic/translational/clinical research that ties with military medicine while practicing some clinical work.

Also, what are the health/phys requirements to matriculate anyways? My weight/hearing/visual is all fine according to the brochure. But theres a lot more im guessing...how about pull ups/runnning/chin ups/bodyfat %....

If you want to do research then go into academia. The military is not the place for research. As a military person you are military first and a scientist second...professor when possible. You have to punch your ticket in research so you will have to go to Bahrain or Peru for Navy research.....more often than not in research you have little interest in.

IMO you are not a good candidate for the military. Your dreams do not line up in the slightest with the military. You will not be happy because until you reach the rank of O6 you will move every 3-4 years starting on new research projects...that's if the military doesn't scratch your funding.

If you think the military sucks as a physician...try it as a scientist. Not deployments but never accomplishing anything of any merit scientifically.....not to mention how military research is viewed in the eyes of the "real" academic world.

anxietypeaker said:
Edward med school prevents military personel from going tenure track. It explicitly says that track is only for civilians. The nontenure track is available for military personnel. So, what im kinda worried about in applying to ushs (im gonna be a third year college), is what if i wanna go tenure track (nontenure track i hear requires much more clinical service, meaning no protected research time). My concern is with so many years of military service committment, i cant even begin tenure track until 10 (?) years of service, which im GUESSING would hurt my app to tenure track positions at edward and civ med schools...Essentially, what are my prospects of being able to do research as a tenured professor if i go to usuhs (keeping in mind the military committment, civ can only go tenure track at edwards). My DREAM (haha) career would be a tenured professor at edwards doing basic/translational/clinical research that ties with military medicine while practicing some clinical work.

Also, what are the health/phys requirements to matriculate anyways? My weight/hearing/visual is all fine according to the brochure. But theres a lot more im guessing...how about pull ups/runnning/chin ups/bodyfat %....

anxietypeaker said:

dude, what the **** are you talking about?

why not get an academic job, and work on research that the military has interest in?

most major academic centers with productive sepsis/shock/pulmonary/ortho research departments have some military affiliation of some kind.