Some Perspectives from an Accepted Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProudMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I say anything, I would like to give a shot-out to @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn and thank them for their wisdom, honesty, and sometimes humor. As adcoms, they offer fantastic advice and perspective, but they are also very realistic and won't hesitate to say things like "you have little to no chance".

To assure all the neurotic premeds on SDN (and I used to be a neurotic premed just like everyone else), you do NOT need to have a "perfect" application to get accepted into medical school! Allow me to give you a brief overview of my background and application.

-CA resident and ORM (double whammy when it comes to medical admissions)
-Cumulative GPA ~3.6, science GPA <3.4, 33 MCAT (which, let's keep it real, is very good, statistically)
-Graduated from a top 10 national university
-"Unique" major (PM me if you want to know which major - hint: it is not a science)
-Fairly diverse and substantial ECs
-A few minor "red flags" (PM me if you want to know the specifics)
-Not disadvantaged in anyway (I have some of the most amazing and supportive parents out there)

And below is some perspective I wish to share. Now, these are solely based on my own experiences and feelings, and they may or may not be accurate depending on your unique circumstances. I am NOT an expert on medical admissions, but I do think the points below make a certain amount of sense.

1) Your stats are very important, everyone knows that, but once you get above a (surprisingly low) minimum threshold, they aren't as important as you may think. Official studies have shown that a 26 MCAT is sufficient enough for successful completion of medical school, and GPAs can vary tremendously based on the rigor of the school or even different professors within the same school. However, given the competitive nature of medical school admissions, it is unfortunately of the utmost importance that applicants get their numbers as high as possible.

2) Diversity is very important, but diversity goes way beyond racial and socioeconomic factors. When people think of diversity, they often think along racial and socioeconomic lines. And while those are factors that medical schools consider, diversity comes in other, perhaps more subtle ways. What did you major in college? Did you have any significant accomplishments within your chosen major? What unique perspectives can you bring to our class? What are some of your most meaningful activities? All those things matter when schools pick out which candidates to accept.

3) Your passion for specific schools and your overall "fit" can make the difference between rejection and acceptance. My academic stats are competitive for the school that I got accepted into, but throughout recent history, many applicants with much higher stats (and more impressive ECs) were denied even interviews. While it is difficult (in fact, impossible) to come up with a genuine reason why you want to attend a particular school for every school that you apply to, do think about what genuinely draws you towards a particular school. Is it the unique curriculum? Or are you a strong believer in its mission statement? Do you like the school's laid back culture and atmosphere? Or do you have strong personal ties to a school's particular region? At your interviews, it is very important to demonstrate passion and genuine desire to attend that specific school.

4) Apply early! I don't think I need to elaborate much with this one. Just know that some schools place much stronger emphasis on early applications than others, but regardless, having your primary verified by the end of June should be a top priority. I can say with near absolute certainty that I would not have been accepted (or even granted an interview) if I didn't apply as early as I did. I submitted my application early June, and my primary was verified in around 10 days. Therefore, my application was sent to schools on the first possible day.

5) California schools are mercilessly competitive! Again, this should be no secret. The UC medical schools are absolutely fantastic institutions, but because of the caliber and number of CA applicants, these schools should be considered reaches for all but the strongest of applicants. In my opinion, you shouldn't feel confident in an UC acceptance unless your have a 3.8+ GPA and 35+ MCAT. There are certainly exceptions, but for most UC hopefuls, make sure your numbers are up to snuff.

6) Be proud of your non-medical achievements! While it is vital to have ECs that demonstrate exposure to the various aspects of medicine (shadowing, hospital volunteering, research, medically-related work experience, etc) activities and accomplishments that have nothing to do with science and/or medicine DO have a place on your medical school application. Medical schools want applicants who have demonstrated academic competence, but they also want well-rounded human beings with genuine interests, passions, and sometimes quirks. Also think about it from the admission's point of view. They get thousands of applicants with shockingly similar applications that all check off the usual boxes of activities. If you have substantial achievements in areas that aren't typically represented in the applicant pool, it will at the very least catch some of the attention of the admissions committee. And sometimes, that can make all the difference.

7) If your stats are not in line with the accepted averages of MD medical schools, PLEASE consider DO medical schools. I don't want to get into the MD vs DO debate, but do you know what you'll be called after you graduate from a DO medical school? A doctor. DOs have the same training (in fact, DOs are trained in MORE areas of medicine) as their MD counterparts, and in the real world, DOs are equally regarded and compensated as their MD counterparts. DO medical schools adhere to the osteopathic principle, which places a strong emphasis on treating the whole person. Because of this philosophy, a significant percentage of osteopathic physicians pursue primary care fields. However, DOs can be found in all specialties across the board, and you are NOT limited to primary care specialties if you attend an osteopathic medical school. My mentor (who is a DO) has classmates who are currently emergency trauma surgeons, radiologists, ophthalmologists, etc. Finally, while DO medical schools don't require as high GPAs and MCAT scores as MD schools, please don't mistakenly assume that they are "easier" to get into. Many DO applicants have clinical experiences that absolutely embarrasses the typical 22 year-old MD matriculant, and many DO medical schools recommend or require a letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician. In the end, if your goal is to become a physician (not just an MD), then the DO route is a slightly different (but equal) path to take. @Goro if he wants to chime in.

8) No applicant is perfect! Okay, maybe a small percentage of applicants are so perfect and stupendous that they give ADCOM members wet dreams, but medical schools know that applicants are people who have flaws and make mistakes. Maybe your transcript has more Cs and Ws (or worse) than you are comfortable with. Perhaps you got into some trouble at school because of alcohol or drugs. Or maybe you were involved with more serious matters involving law enforcement. Whatever it may be, come to terms with your weaknesses and "red flags", and if you are asked to disclose any institutional actions or criminal background incidents, be honest in your explanation and accept responsibility for your actions.

9) And this partly relates back to the previous point. Barring extraordinary circumstances (felony convictions, expulsion from school because of egregious conduct violations, severe mental or physical illness, absolutely appalling academic record, etc.), nothing will keep you from medical schools. If your GPA is under 3.0? Do a post-bacc or SMP and demolish the MCAT. Not enough ECs? Start contacting local hospitals, clinics, and doctor offices. No matter what deficiencies your application may have, there are always ways to address and improve them. If you want to be a physician, you WILL get there. It might take you a while, but everyone's on a different timeline. Speaking of which...

10) Whatever you do, DON'T compare yourself to your peers! Everyone (especially people on SDN) has the tendency to compare with his/her peers and attempt to "keep up with the Joneses", but everyone has different life-stories and unique circumstances, so it really is pointless comparing yourself to your peers. When I was an undergrad at my competitive university, many of my peers went straight from undergrad to medical school. They have impeccable applications, astronomical stats (every cycle on average, around 60-80 people from my undergrad have MCAT scores above a 36), and incredible ECs (multiple years of research, publications, international service experiences, major leadership roles), and during my senior year, I was very envious (and even a bit bitter) towards my peers. When they were getting their acceptances to top medical schools and scholarship offers at even better schools (are they human?), I was sitting on a sub 3.2 sGPA, and the mere thought of taking the MCAT would send chills down my spine. Back then, I was incredibly frustrated and angry that I won't be able to join them in medical school. But now, just over 2 years later, I have my acceptance to a fantastic medical school that will equip me with everything I need in my future career. Bottomline: you will feel the occasional bout of frustration, envy, or even anger towards your peers who have gotten into incredible schools. These are normal human emotions and reactions. But know that you are different from your peers, and that you will get there eventually. Medicine is a marathon, not a sprint.

Wow that's a long post. If you actually read through the whole thing, then you have my sincere gratitude and admiration. If you want to know more personal/detailed aspects of my application, feel free to PM me.

And please feel free to chime in and disagree/elaborate on anything I've said.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 50 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Started off feeling like this was going to be a train-wreck, but I'm glad I read it. Lovely post, OP.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, you didn't cure my neuroticism but I sure feel better at this moment. Plus I love Courage, the Cowardly Dog.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, you didn't cure my neuroticism but I sure feel better at this moment. Plus I love Courage, the Cowardly Dog.

Haha, I am glad that you got something out of what I said. And Courage, the Cowardly Dog is my favorite cartoon series of all time!

Reactions: 1 users
Haha, I am glad that you got something out of what I said. And Courage, the Cowardly Dog is my favorite cartoon series of all time!
Awesome post man! That TV show creeped me out as a kid but I still watched it :)

Expected a humblebrag. Actually well thought out and comprehensive advice. Good job.

Great job. Well worth the read :)

Great job. Well worth the read :)

Thanks! Glad you found it worthwhile.

I know I am no expert on medical school admissions, but SDN could always use a genuine perspective that gives hope and optimism to other applicants. A significant part of my college life was filled was pessimism, anger, and other negative emotions. This whole process is stressful enough as it is, so I really do want to serve as a voice of realistic encouragement. Because after all, we are all in this together!

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I say anything, I would like to give a shot-out to @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn and thank them for their wisdom, honesty, and sometimes humor. As adcoms, they offer fantastic advice and perspective, but they are also very realistic and won't hesitate to say things like "you have little to no chance".

To assure all the neurotic premeds on SDN (and I used to be a neurotic premed just like everyone else), you do NOT need to have a "perfect" application to get accepted into medical school! Allow me to give you a brief overview of my background and application.

-CA resident and ORM (double whammy when it comes to medical admissions)
-Cumulative GPA ~3.6, science GPA <3.4, 33 MCAT (which, let's keep it real, is very good, statistically)
-Graduated from a top 10 national university
-"Unique" major (PM me if you want to know which major - hint: it is not a science)
-Fairly diverse and substantial ECs
-A few minor "red flags" (PM me if you want to know the specifics)
-Not disadvantaged in anyway (I have some of the most amazing and supportive parents out there)

And below is some perspective I wish to share. Now, these are solely based on my own experiences and feelings, and they may or may not be accurate depending on your unique circumstances. I am NOT an expert on medical admissions, but I do think the points below make a certain amount of sense.

1) Your stats are very important, everyone knows that, but once you get above a (surprisingly low) minimum threshold, they aren't as important as you may think. Official studies have shown that a 26 MCAT is sufficient enough for successful completion of medical school, and GPAs can vary tremendously based on the rigor of the school or even different professors within the same school. However, given the competitive nature of medical school admissions, it is unfortunately of the utmost importance that applicants get their numbers as high as possible.

2) Diversity is very important, but diversity goes way beyond racial and socioeconomic factors. When people think of diversity, they often think along racial and socioeconomic lines. And while those are factors that medical schools consider, diversity comes in other, perhaps more subtle ways. What did you major in college? Did you have any significant accomplishments within your chosen major? What unique perspectives can you bring to our class? What are some of your most meaningful activities? All those things matter when schools pick out which candidates to accept.

3) Your passion for specific schools and your overall "fit" can make the difference between rejection and acceptance. My academic stats are competitive for the school that I got accepted into, but throughout recent history, many applicants with much higher stats (and more impressive ECs) were denied even interviews. While it is difficult (in fact, impossible) to come up with a genuine reason why you want to attend a particular school for every school that you apply to, do think about what genuinely draws you towards a particular school. Is it the unique curriculum? Or are you a strong believer in its mission statement? Do you like the school's laid back culture and atmosphere? Or do you have strong personal ties to a school's particular region? At your interviews, it is very important to demonstrate passion and genuine desire to attend that specific school.

4) Apply early! I don't think I need to elaborate much with this one. Just know that some schools place much stronger emphasis on early applications than others, but regardless, having your primary verified by the end of June should be a top priority. I can say with near absolute certainty that I would not have been accepted (or even granted an interview) if I didn't apply as early as I did. I submitted my application early June, and my primary was verified in around 10 days. Therefore, my application was sent to schools on the first possible day.

5) California schools are mercilessly competitive! Again, this should be no secret. The UC medical schools are absolutely fantastic institutions, but because of the caliber and number of CA applicants, these schools should be considered reaches for all but the strongest of applicants. In my opinion, you shouldn't feel confident in an UC acceptance unless your have a 3.8+ GPA and 35+ MCAT. There are certainly exceptions, but for most UC hopefuls, make sure your numbers are up to snuff.

6) Be proud of your non-medical achievements! While it is vital to have ECs that demonstrate exposure to the various aspects of medicine (shadowing, hospital volunteering, research, medically-related work experience, etc) activities and accomplishments that have nothing to do with science and/or medicine DO have a place on your medical school application. Medical schools want applicants who have demonstrated academic competence, but they also want well-rounded human beings with genuine interests, passions, and sometimes quirks. Also think about it from the admission's point of view. They get thousands of applicants with shockingly similar applications that all check off the usual boxes of activities. If you have substantial achievements in areas that aren't typically represented in the applicant pool, it will at the very least catch some of the attention of the admissions committee. And sometimes, that can make all the difference.

7) If your stats are not in line with the accepted averages of MD medical schools, PLEASE consider DO medical schools. I don't want to get into the MD vs DO debate, but do you know what you'll be called after you graduate from a DO medical school? A doctor. DOs have the same training (in fact, DOs are trained in MORE areas of medicine) as their MD counterparts, and in the real world, DOs are equally regarded and compensated as their MD counterparts. DO medical schools adhere to the osteopathic principle, which places a strong emphasis on treating the whole person. Because of this philosophy, a significant percentage of osteopathic physicians pursue primary care fields. However, DOs can be found in all specialties across the board, and you are NOT limited to primary care specialties if you attend an osteopathic medical school. My mentor (who is a DO) has classmates who are currently emergency trauma surgeons, radiologists, ophthalmologists, etc. Finally, while DO medical schools don't require as high GPAs and MCAT scores as MD schools, please don't mistakenly assume that they are "easier" to get into. Many DO applicants have clinical experiences that absolutely embarrasses the typical 22 year-old MD matriculant, and many DO medical schools recommend or require a letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician. In the end, if your goal is to become a physician (not just an MD), then the DO route is a slightly different (but equal) path to take. @Goro if he wants to chime in.

8) No applicant is perfect! Okay, maybe a small percentage of applicants are so perfect and stupendous that they give ADCOM members wet dreams, but medical schools know that applicants are people who have flaws and make mistakes. Maybe your transcript has more Cs and Ws (or worse) than you are comfortable with. Perhaps you got into some trouble at school because of alcohol or drugs. Or maybe you were involved with more serious matters involving law enforcement. Whatever it may be, come to terms with your weaknesses and "red flags", and if you are asked to disclose any institutional actions or criminal background incidents, be honest in your explanation and accept responsibility for your actions.

9) And this partly relates back to the previous point. Barring extraordinary circumstances (felony convictions, expulsion from school because of egregious conduct violations, severe mental or physical illness, absolutely appalling academic record, etc.), nothing will keep you from medical schools. If your GPA is under 3.0? Do a post-bacc or SMP and demolish the MCAT. Not enough ECs? Start contacting local hospitals, clinics, and doctor offices. No matter what deficiencies your application may have, there are always ways to address and improve them. If you want to be a physician, you WILL get there. It might take you a while, but everyone's on a different timeline. Speaking of which...

10) Whatever you do, DON'T compare yourself to your peers! Everyone (especially people on SDN) has the tendency to compare with his/her peers and attempt to "keep up with the Joneses", but everyone has different life-stories and unique circumstances, so it really is pointless comparing yourself to your peers. When I was an undergrad at my competitive university, many of my peers went straight from undergrad to medical school. They have impeccable applications, astronomical stats (every cycle on average, around 60-80 people from my undergrad have MCAT scores above a 36), and incredible ECs (multiple years of research, publications, international service experiences, major leadership roles), and during my senior year, I was very envious (and even a bit bitter) towards my peers. When they were getting their acceptances to top medical schools and scholarship offers at even better schools (are they human?), I was sitting on a sub 3.2 sGPA, and the mere thought of taking the MCAT would send chills down my spine. Back then, I was incredibly frustrated and angry that I won't be able to join them in medical school. But now, just over 2 years later, I have my acceptance to a fantastic medical school that will equip me with everything I need in my future career. Bottomline: you will feel the occasional bout of frustration, envy, or even anger towards your peers who have gotten into incredible schools. These are normal human emotions and reactions. But know that you are different from your peers, and that you will get there eventually. Medicine is a marathon, not a sprint.

Wow that's a long post. If you actually read through the whole thing, then you have my sincere gratitude and admiration. If you want to know more personal/detailed aspects of my application, feel free to PM me.

And please feel free to chime in and disagree/elaborate on anything I've said.

This is incredibly comforting and optimistic :) It's definitely something I needed to see--we have similar stats, and I'm always feeling pretty down about it. Also relate to you about the whole peers being better and everything situation--it really puts a dent in your confidence and ability to get into school. I already feel bouts of frustration and envy upon learning my classmate's MCAT score...hahaha....

This is incredibly comforting and optimistic :) It's definitely something I needed to see--we have similar stats, and I'm always feeling pretty down about it. Also relate to you about the whole peers being better and everything situation--it really puts a dent in your confidence and ability to get into school. I already feel bouts of frustration and envy upon learning my classmate's MCAT score...hahaha....

So glad that you found this worthwhile!

Thanks OP for the post and Congrats on being accepted to medical school. It's always nice to hear an underdog story.

For me there's always this feeling of "Man, I should have done more or Why didn't I do better?". I studied very diligently for the MCAT and although my score is above a 30 I don't feel satisfied with it knowing how much work I put into studying. Same thing goes with ECs, I tell myself "Man, I should have worked harder to get published in research or participated in more meaningful activities or simply just put more effort into what I did outside the classroom." Then that makes me feel like in the past I've been a lazy student. I also resort to so many excuses why I couldn't get ahead in college. Excuses such as family issues I had to deal with, being too tired to do other things besides go to class, wanting to spend time with friends more than I should have, working part-time to pay for education, being an "international student" which barred me from many internships, etc, etc. If I had any good news from medical schools then I could say to myself okay the work that I put in my undergrad years did pay off. But, without any good news, I just feel full of regrets and thoughts of what I should have done to make my application stronger. I never thought I was some sort of genius but I thought I would be good enough for medical school. But, this process has really sucked out the confidence I had. I'm not blaming the application process. The goal is to produce the best doctors so I understand many qualified applicants are not going to be accepted. But, I don't think I was prepared for this level of competition. Really makes me wonder if the work I had done is going to end up in vain... Only time will tell I guess..

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks OP for the post and Congrats on being accepted to medical school. It's always nice to hear an underdog story.

For me there's always this feeling of "Man, I should have done more or Why didn't I do better?". I studied very diligently for the MCAT and although my score is above a 30 I don't feel satisfied with it knowing how much work I put into studying. Same thing goes with ECs, I tell myself "Man, I should have worked harder to get published in research or participated in more meaningful activities or simply just put more effort into what I did outside the classroom." Then that makes me feel like in the past I've been a lazy student. I also resort to so many excuses why I couldn't get ahead in college. Excuses such as family issues I had to deal with, being too tired to do other things besides go to class, wanting to spend time with friends more than I should have, working part-time to pay for education, being an "international student" which barred me from many internships, etc, etc. If I had any good news from medical schools then I could say to myself okay the work that I put in my undergrad years did pay off. But, without any good news, I just feel full of regrets and thoughts of what I should have done to make my application stronger. I never thought I was some sort of genius but I thought I would be good enough for medical school. But, this process has really sucked out the confidence I had. I'm not blaming the application process. The goal is to produce the best doctors so I understand many qualified applicants are not going to be accepted. But, I don't think I was prepared for this level of competition. Really makes me wonder if the work I had done is going to end up in vain... Only time will tell I guess..

Thanks for sharing your story. Are you currently applying to schools right now? I think we are still relatively early in this cycle, and I know plenty of friends who didn't start receiving IIs until March. Also keep in mind that the cycle isn't over until the start of classes. There are many stories of people getting into schools off the waitlist in August, just days before the start of school!

For example, one person from my class (graduated from college in the same year as I did) already signed the contracts for a engineering job when a medical school accepted him off the waitlist. He had to turn down the job offer so that he could attend medical school. If you haven't heard anything yet, don't panic! There is still plenty of time!

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you get your acceptance in October or next July/August. Everyone from the cycle is going to start school at the same time and get their MD/DO degrees at the same time!

Let me leave you with one of @Goro 's favorite quotations: "Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not!"

Thanks for sharing your story. Are you currently applying to schools right now? I think we are still relatively early in this cycle, and I know plenty of friends who didn't start receiving IIs until March. Also keep in mind that the cycle isn't over until the start of classes. There are many stories of people getting into schools off the waitlist in August, just days before the start of school!

For example, one person from my class (graduated from college in the same year as I did) already signed the contracts for a engineering job when a medical school accepted him off the waitlist. He had to turn down the job offer so that he could attend medical school. If you haven't heard anything yet, don't panic! There is still plenty of time!

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you get your acceptance in October or next July/August. Everyone from the cycle is going to start school at the same time and get their MD/DO degrees at the same time!

Let me leave you with one of @Goro 's favorite quotations: "Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not!"

Haha yeah I've heard many different anecdotal evidence that really it isn't over until classes begin. And I know someone who also turned down an engineering job and got off the waitlist in June. If you weren't in CA then I would say we knew the same person lol. But yeah, you are right. I think this whole process has made me very neurotic and I have lost my sense of positive thinking and rationale also. Certain days I do feel optimistic and then other days I feel very tense and agitated (Guess which day today is? lol) I guess I've succumbed to the stigma that if you haven't heard from medical schools after a while then you are probably out of the running.

Haha yeah I've heard many different anecdotal evidence that really it isn't over until classes begin. And I know someone who also turned down an engineering job and got off the waitlist in June. If you weren't in CA then I would say we knew the same person lol. But yeah, you are right. I think this whole process has made me very neurotic and I have lost my sense of positive thinking and rationale also. Certain days I do feel optimistic and then other days I feel very tense and agitated (Guess which day today is? lol) I guess I've succumbed to the stigma that if you haven't heard from medical schools after a while then you are probably out of the running.

How many schools did you apply to? If you share your application information on the WAMC subforum, then people can perhaps give you some targeted advice/analysis.

@ProudMD Awesome post!! I was just accepted last week, and you summed it all up so perfectly! My favorite point is applying early. It really made all the difference for me, I think. Most of my co-workers (scribes) submitted applications in August or so...and are upset that they haven't heard back from anywhere. I have a good friend applying next year and I keep telling her the best advice I have is to apply early.

Love the point about not comparing yourself. The very fact that we are on SDN forum makes that extremely difficulty haha, but your life is so much better when you don't compare.

The big thing I think everyone needs to remember is to just relax and be yourself and let that show through applications. And interviews as well. Being yourself will be genuine and that's what people are looking for in medical students.

@ProudMD Awesome post!! I was just accepted last week, and you summed it all up so perfectly! My favorite point is applying early. It really made all the difference for me, I think. Most of my co-workers (scribes) submitted applications in August or so...and are upset that they haven't heard back from anywhere. I have a good friend applying next year and I keep telling her the best advice I have is to apply early.

Love the point about not comparing yourself. The very fact that we are on SDN forum makes that extremely difficulty haha, but your life is so much better when you don't compare.

The big thing I think everyone needs to remember is to just relax and be yourself and let that show through applications. And interviews as well. Being yourself will be genuine and that's what people are looking for in medical students.

Congrats on your acceptance!

And I think it is worth reiterating again and again how important an early application is! Submitting the primary in June should be a requirement these days given how competitive the process is.

Unfortunately, some schools' premed committees don't complete/submit their LOR until end of August or later. Do students still need that in before AMCAS will verify their application? Not much you can do if that's what's holding you back. We're a neurotic enough group already without harassing the committee to get our letters out earlier. :bucktooth::nailbiting:

Unfortunately, some schools' premed committees don't complete/submit their LOR until end of August or later. Do students still need that in before AMCAS will verify their application? Not much you can do if that's what's holding you back. We're a neurotic enough group already without harassing the committee to get our letters out earlier. :bucktooth::nailbiting:

I'll PM you regarding this concern.

EDIT: You don't need to submit any letters of recommendation (committee or individual) for AMCAS to verify your primary application! LORs are required along with secondary applications in order to complete your entire application. The only thing that's needed for AMCAS verification is your completed primary application, payment of all the fees, and official transcripts from all the schools you've ever attended.

Last edited:
Just pitching in,

I think that I have not met as many professional athletes or world class musicians that I was told I would meet at interviews lol. For the most part, it seems as if normal people with good stats/clinical exposure and a couple other interesting things can definitely get in. If you are planning a 5 year hiatus to go hiking through Antarctica because you think it will improve your chances, I think just doing research in a gap year and pursuing a hobby or two is interesting enough.

Reactions: 3 users
Just pitching in,

I think that I have not met as many professional athletes or world class musicians that I was told I would meet at interviews lol. For the most part, it seems as if normal people with good stats/clinical exposure and a couple other interesting things can definitely get in. If you are planning a 5 year hiatus to go hiking through Antarctica because you think it will improve your chances, I think just doing research in a gap year and pursuing a hobby or two is interesting enough.

Completely agree!