some travel questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please forgive me for asking some very BASIC questions, but I'm about to start my out-of-region tour-
Has anyone used travelocity? I'm a bit worried about getting "bumped" or their not be a record of my ticket (even though i have my confirmation). anyone have problems with that?

Just how early do i need to be there? "they" suggest 3 hours!!?? is this true? I certainly don't want to push it, but i want to use time wisely too.

Are you guys checking your bags (do to restricted carry-on stuff)? I hate the idea of that when I'm traveling with the bear minimum.
Ok, sorry for the basic questions, i'm just curious.
thanks,
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

Please forgive me for asking some very BASIC questions, but I'm about to start my out-of-region tour-
Has anyone used travelocity? I'm a bit worried about getting "bumped" or their not be a record of my ticket (even though i have my confirmation). anyone have problems with that?

Just how early do i need to be there? "they" suggest 3 hours!!?? is this true? I certainly don't want to push it, but i want to use time wisely too.

Are you guys checking your bags (do to restricted carry-on stuff)? I hate the idea of that when I'm traveling with the bear minimum.
thanks,
streetdoc

I've never had issues with Travelocity when I've used it, but what I usually do is find the best price on a ticket using travelocity/expedia/whatever and then buy it directly from the airline website if I can. Airlines are often a little more willing to help you reschedule or change your flight if you bought your ticket from them.

As for what time I get to the airport, it depends on what airport. If it's a big commuter airport (Laguardia, Washington Reagan) then I get there about 1 hr in advance and that's enough UNLESS it's first thing in the AM or a big travel day. At airports that have fewer frequent fliers (Charlotte, NC and Providence, RI come to mind) I get there about 1.5 hours in advance. I often check in for my flight from home, so that all I have to do is check my bags and get through security. I usually try NOT to check bags, though, especially if I am connecting.

thanks,
streetdoc

kayak.com will search over a hundred websites and often give you a surprising variety of choices and prices. Once you select a particular itenirary you are then directed to the site from which the quote came. May be a airline site or travelocity, expedia etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've booked quite a bit through Travelocity without problems. Sometimes booking directly through the airline is cheaper, but usually they're about the same price, and sometimes offers more flight selections from that airline than the airline itself.

Check-in online, print out your boarding passes at home, and use only carry-on luggage. You bypass the ticket lines, avoid losing your checked luggage.

Don't forget to limit your liquids to containers less than 3.4 oz, and only that which will comfortably fit into a one quart ziploc bag. It's amazing how many people get hung up in the security line because of this.

It's amazing how many people get hung up in the security line because of this.

And they should face a charge for inconveniencing the rest of us. Or maybe just give me a discount for paying attention to what I'm supposed to do.

mobissimo.com will spider through other search engines as well. It works well, but none of them can check southwest.com, and a few of the other airlines.
Makes it a pain.

so i can take all the liquid i want as long as the containers hold less than 3.4 oz and fits in a baggie??

so i can take all the liquid i want as long as the containers hold less than 3.4 oz and fits in a baggie??

Correct. Although at PHL one of my bottles was confiscated because it had no 'markings or writing', so there was no way to verify the contents of the bottle. It was a typical Nalgene bottle with some shampoo, so I didn't argue too much, but what a totally stupid rationale to work from. The TSA guy said it was 'policy' and had another TSA guy back himk up, but nothing I've seen on the TSA website stipulates marked bottles.

So, before my next trip, I bought a 'Hello Kitty' tube of body glitter, emptied it, then filled it shampoo. Haven't had a problem since. Some weird looks, no doubt, but never been stopped.

wow, you can check in from home? and print out your pass? I don't see that on my confirmation-how can i do that?
I really should have just driven...oh well
thanks guys,
streetdoc

Correct. Although at PHL one of my bottles was confiscated because it had no 'markings or writing', so there was no way to verify the contents of the bottle. It was a typical Nalgene bottle with some shampoo, so I didn't argue too much, but what a totally stupid rationale to work from. The TSA guy said it was 'policy' and had another TSA guy back himk up, but nothing I've seen on the TSA website stipulates marked bottles.

So, before my next trip, I bought a 'Hello Kitty' tube of body glitter, emptied it, then filled it shampoo. Haven't had a problem since. Some weird looks, no doubt, but never been stopped.

Yeah....I just get teh sample size shampoos at the drugstore. But whatever floats your boat...

wow, you can check in from home? and print out your pass? I don't see that on my confirmation-how can i do that?
I really should have just driven...oh well
thanks guys,
streetdoc

Yeah...it's usually on the airline website (not sure if it works if you bought your ticket elsewhere, but it's worth a try).

I flew for an interview the first time in months in October. I was not aware at all of the new "safety regulations". The security lady stopped me and made me open up my suitcase. She was questioning my deodorant which was a 4 OZ but only half full. I tried to explain to her that 1/2 of 4 OZ is 2 OZ, but apparently she had no ability to do math, and made me throw it out.

I anticipate that very soon all carry-on luggage will be banned, and they will make you check all baggage. I won't even go into the repeated anal probings which will be required.....

Yeah...it's usually on the airline website (not sure if it works if you bought your ticket elsewhere, but it's worth a try).

Nah, you can always do it with whatever airline the ticket is for, even if you bought it from xyz.org.
However, if you're on standby, you're still on standby, even with a boarding pass.

Yeah....I just get teh sample size shampoos at the drugstore. But whatever floats your boat...

1) Buying a sample-sized bottle is more expensive than pouring some from your normal-sized container.

2) They don't have sample-sized bottles of my shampoo.

3) I'm waiting for someone to ask me if that's really body glitter in that body glitter bottle.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Buying a sample-sized bottle is more expensive than pouring some from your normal-sized container.

2) They don't have sample-sized bottles of my shampoo.

3) I'm waiting for someone to ask me if that's really body glitter in that body glitter bottle.

I think my sample size of Pantene was $0.99 - probably cheaper than your Hello Kitty body glitter. When it's empty I can just pour whatever I want in it.

I gots nothing for #3.

Not that the converstation taking a turn towards body glitter wasn't interesting but I refocus:

I have had alot of success using Priceline for booking hotels in cities where I interviewed. I found that instead of staying in a crappy hotel I could stay somewhere nice for the same price. If you really want to get into it check out the site betterbidding.com which will help you out big time if you want to get good priceline deals on hotels (plus the admin there is so nice, and a U of Michigan fan)

+1

Got the Hilton in Norfolk today.
$46 a night on priceline. On kayak it was $161.
Always lowball with priceline first. You'll usually end up with a decent place, and cheaper than the Motel 8's of the world.
(Use 2 star as you starting point only).

+1

Got the Hilton in Norfolk today.
$46 a night on priceline. On kayak it was $161.
Always lowball with priceline first. You'll usually end up with a decent place, and cheaper than the Motel 8's of the world.
(Use 2 star as you starting point only).

I miss Norfolk....sigh....

have any of you girls (or guys) tried to carry on a curling iron? I don't see that on any list...
thanks for all of the helpful tips so far!
streetdoc

have any of you girls (or guys) tried to carry on a curling iron? I don't see that on any list...
thanks for all of the helpful tips so far!
streetdoc

yep - I fly a lot & never had an issue with a curling iron. I carry no shampoos, hand lotions, etc, ever. Every hotel has that (you can call ahead if you want to find out) & unless you're using a special one, as one of the other posters, the hotel variety is fine. Check also if they have a hair dryer - no need to lug around unnecessary weight. I agree - the 0.99 variety of sundries work well - deodorant, hair gel, toothpaste, etc...yeah, its expensive if you were to use it daily, but one set will probably last the whole interview season.

If you're a girl (or guy even)...your lip balm, gloss, lipstick - whatever you wear...needs to be in that quart size ziplock bag. Don't bring water to drink - you have to buy it on the security side of the airport - yeah its expensive...but what are you going to do. On the positive side...every airline I've flown since these new rules have gone into effect have offered water - small 4ozers, but you can have as many as you want.

As for when to get there - 1.5hrs is probably good. But....we got caught in the Oakland evacuation last week & everyone & everything had to go thru security again after we were put out on the street. It delayed all flights by 2 hours - no worries - the plane won't leave without you since all of you are in the same boat. BUT - those folks who had tight connections or who had to be at a certain place in a tight time frame were in a world of hurt.

So...give yourself ample time when booking your flight to allow for delays of any kind - weather, security, flight delays. You don't want to only give yourself 2 hours from your landing to getting to your interview. I'd try to get there the day before if at all possible.

Good luck!

I think my sample size of Pantene was $0.99 - probably cheaper than your Hello Kitty body glitter. When it's empty I can just pour whatever I want in it.

I gots nothing for #3.

The reason why I got a bottle of body glitter is that I'm male, and wait to see the reaction of TSA screeners when they look through my 'freedom baggie'.

If you're a girl (or guy even)...your lip balm, gloss, lipstick - whatever you wear...needs to be in that quart size ziplock bag. Don't bring water to drink - you have to buy it on the security side of the airport - yeah its expensive...but what are you going to do. On the positive side...every airline I've flown since these new rules have gone into effect have offered water - small 4ozers, but you can have as many as you want.

Another option is to bring an empty water bottle/container through security and fill it with tap water once through. It's pretty variable how it tastes, but it kills me that the identical bottle of water costs $2-3 inside the terminal and 99 cents outside. It's price gouging.

Another option is to bring an empty water bottle/container through security and fill it with tap water once through. It's pretty variable how it tastes, but it kills me that the identical bottle of water costs $2-3 inside the terminal and 99 cents outside. It's price gouging.

You'll be glad when you're finally done with school & it becomes no big deal - but....I have relatives who still do this just "because". Its just not me.

You could always go to the bar;) :D The $6 glass of wine tastes better than that tap water!:p

Nah, that $7 dirty martini is much better. Especially as you watch people who are rolling what is obviously way too much luggage (to go with their way too much body fat) on the way to the farthest terminal. Mmmm, big people sweating in the airport. Makes the gin go down that much better.

Southwest and priceline have become my new friends...

Southwest airlines certainly has the airline sector figured out. Obviously this does not help you if you are not in a Southwest city, but they certainly are in *most* airports across the country by now and I have flown with them to everywhere.

Someone already mentioned, but priceline is perfect for hotels. My hotels have ranged from 42-60 for 2.5-3 star. I have always had a nicer hotel via priceline than I would have gotten without. Always a nice part of town and very clean (usualy Marriot hotels (spring hill suites, courtyar, etc), Holiday Inns, Westins, etc... these are the 2.5-3 star). Also already mentioned that betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com are helpful sites. Hotwire is an option, although I used them once on another trip and paid 60 for a 3 star which was a crappy best western in a questionable part of the town I was in... and above all it was a smoking room that we swore had a cloud of smoke in it when we walked in. Needless to say, after that one time, I stick with priceline.

On rent cars, I signed up for Nationals Emerald Club through a free link I found online. You bypass the counter and get to pick from any car on the 'Emerald Aisle' at a small car rate. If there is a shuttle to the lot, you are the first to get off. You pick a car, drive it to the gate thing, they swipe your emerald card and you leave. I have had supercharged grand prixs, 4x4 grand cherokee limiteds, grabber orange mustang, etc all off the emerald aisle for intermediate rate. The nicest I have seen was a 2007 Tahoe LT, but I wanted something 4x4 when I was in that particular town...

Overall, I have been impressed with how little I have spent on traveling. The biggest key is/was to book early and have everything lined out. It surprises me how many on the trail I talk to who spent 800 on their airfare, 150 for a hotel, and already spent 70 bucks on cab rides! I have not paid over about 250 for RT airfare anywhere...

Ditto what everyone said about Priceline and Southwest. They rock.

The 1-quart baggie thing is so, so ridiculous. Deodorant, lip gloss, chapstick, hair gel, shampoo, any thing liquid or semi-solid goes in the baggie. Some places are sticklers for the 3.4 oz thing, some places aren't. The container itself has to be 3.4 oz or less, not just holding 3.4 oz or less. If you don't want your deodorant trashed, bring a travel size or check it. Also, be prepared to take off your shoes, your coat, and take your laptop out of your bag when you go through security. I've travelled a lot this year (interviews! family trip! London!), and my new favorite game in the security line is "Spot the Noob". This is not the time to wear your new lace-up knee-high boots.

Oh, just so you know, if you travel a lot in a short amount of time going to major cities, you end up on the TSA watch list. If you're on the TSA watch list, you can't check in on Southewest online and print out your boarding pass. You have to go to the ticket counter like everyone else. Fortunately, Southwest has their act together and this doesn't take long. Just FYI.

Oh, just so you know, if you travel a lot in a short amount of time going to major cities, you end up on the TSA watch list. If you're on the TSA watch list, you can't check in on Southewest online and print out your boarding pass. You have to go to the ticket counter like everyone else. Fortunately, Southwest has their act together and this doesn't take long. Just FYI.

Hmmm, I've used US Airways, Delta, and Jetblue so far and haven't had a problem with online check in or printing boarding passes. If Southwest has made a unilateral decision to prevent people in the TSA watchlist to check in online, they've lost some points from me. My goal is to never have to talk to a ticketing agent while I fly. Sort of like my preferred banking experience. Ticket agents are the window tellers of the sky ...

If you don't want your deodorant trashed, bring a travel size or check it. Also, be prepared to take off your shoes, your coat, and take your laptop out of your bag when you go through security.

The shoes and laptop thing are nothing new. As far as deoderant, a solid is fine, unless TSA staff get confused . . . liquid deoderant (is there any such thing?) or gels will cause you problems.

Flying through the UK might impose additional restrictions, but I'm guessing there aren't too many flying there for residency interviews.

Ditto what everyone said about Priceline and Southwest. They rock.

The 1-quart baggie thing is so, so ridiculous. Deodorant, lip gloss, chapstick, hair gel, shampoo, any thing liquid or semi-solid goes in the baggie. Some places are sticklers for the 3.4 oz thing, some places aren't. The container itself has to be 3.4 oz or less, not just holding 3.4 oz or less. If you don't want your deodorant trashed, bring a travel size or check it. Also, be prepared to take off your shoes, your coat, and take your laptop out of your bag when you go through security. I've travelled a lot this year (interviews! family trip! London!), and my new favorite game in the security line is "Spot the Noob". This is not the time to wear your new lace-up knee-high boots.

My family lost 3 grandparents in 12 months a while ago and I flew one way on short notice so much between their illnesses and funerals that by the end of it all, TSA no longer flagged me. I was amused.

I flew for an interview the first time in months in October. I was not aware at all of the new "safety regulations". The security lady stopped me and made me open up my suitcase. She was questioning my deodorant which was a 4 OZ but only half full. I tried to explain to her that 1/2 of 4 OZ is 2 OZ, but apparently she had no ability to do math, and made me throw it out.

The thing about half-full containers is actually part of the regulations. She was only doing her job.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#0

The shoes and laptop thing are nothing new. As far as deoderant, a solid is fine, unless TSA staff get confused . . . liquid deoderant (is there any such thing?) or gels will cause you problems.

Flying through the UK might impose additional restrictions, but I'm guessing there aren't too many flying there for residency interviews.

Yeah, they've been a part of the restrictions for a long time but you'd be amazed at how many people don't know that, and don't start unlacing their knee-high boots until they have to go through the metal detectors.

I had one flight where solid deodorant was a problem where it wasn't a problem before and they made me put it in the baggie and scan everything again. It was weird b/c it was definetly in the middle of my interview flying trips and no one else had cared. Since then I just put it in the baggie.

Yeah, they've been a part of the restrictions for a long time but you'd be amazed at how many people don't know that, and don't start unlacing their knee-high boots until they have to go through the metal detectors.

This just fits in the general rule of "All people are *******es." I mean, how many times has the ***** in front of you waited until the cashier tells them how much their Wal-Mart shopping cart full o' crap costs before realizing that, "oh yeah, I have to pay for this ****." Then they pull out the checkbook and write at a pace that easily outdoes either a Parkinson's patient or a kindergartener, depending on who you want to offend more today.

This is only for the adventurous, but I used couchsurfing.com - slept on a stranger's couch. It was a chick so I figured it was highly unlikely she was a serial killer. She was really nice, the couch was comfy, she let me use her iron and shower, she took me out for drinks and dinner the night before (I insisted on treating her though), and it was completely free. Which was nice since I think that $60 for a rental car is such a ripoff, and I already had to buy that for the trip. I think getting the rental cars on priceline may be significantly cheaper, but also there is a discount if you are an AMSA member and can use Alamo.

Don't sweat e-tickets... you will find they are the only way to fly! After using them for years, I don't even bother printing/writing down the confirmation number anymore. There's never been a problem.

Don't sweat e-tickets... you will find they are the only way to fly! After using them for years, I don't even bother printing/writing down the confirmation number anymore. There's never been a problem.

I'd still have the confirmation number . . . I've only needed it once in the many, many, flights I've taken. But that one time I did need it, I needed it.

Thanks guys! Lots of helpful info!
I made it just fine with the e-ticket and the security was no problem (clogs make it so easy to slip off the shoes and fly through the security check). You guys were right on about everything.
The only issue I had was getting up to dayton from cincinnati (lots of traffic made me ALMOST miss my flight). Luckily the people in the security line let me go ahead. So if you are running really late, never give up!
hopefully this thread will help other not-so-savvy travellers.
thanks,
streetdoc