Somebody Decide For Me!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatUpDoc!

The Sign Says It All
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okeay people, I'm in a pickle. I got about 100 pages of Biochem to catch up on... 3 essays to write, including a research paper, I have a part-time job, and I've got secondaries up the wazzle (and that's just about 40% of all the garbage I'm dealing with this semester). I just took a look at Duke's long ass on-line secondary and I was like "WTF!!!." Duke happened to be a school that I threw on my AMCAS last minute anyways because I REALLY didn't want to apply to Meharry, even though it is an in-state school for me. I was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions for a quasi-competitive school in the South/Midwest region. I'm thinking about kicking Duke to the curb and applying somewhere with a less intensive secondary that I can knock out and get on with rest of my horrors. Even though I applied to enough schools, I don't think I applied to nearly as many as others have been so chances are any schools you guys sugggest are schools that I haven't already applied to. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

WhatUpDoc! said:
Okeay people, I'm in a pickle. I got about 100 pages of Biochem to catch up on... 3 essays to write, including a research paper, I have a part-time job, and I've got secondaries up the wazzle (and that's just about 40% of all the garbage I'm dealing with this semester). I just took a look at Duke's long ass on-line secondary and I was like "WTF!!!." Duke happened to be a school that I threw on my AMCAS last minute anyways because I REALLY didn't want to apply to Meharry, even though it is an in-state school for me. I was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions for a quasi-competitive school in the South/Midwest region. I'm thinking about kicking Duke to the curb and applying somewhere with a less intensive secondary that I can knock out and get on with rest of my horrors. Even though I applied to enough schools, I don't think I applied to nearly as many as others have been so chances are any schools you guys sugggest are schools that I haven't already applied to. Thanks!

Well, other reputable southern schools would be Vanderbilt, Emory, UAlabama Birmingham, UVA, Wake, and UNC. Midwest is kind of a fuzzy concept, but it could include Pritzker, Northwestern, Carver, Mayo, UMinnesota, UMich, UCincinnati, Case, and Washington. None of these schools are "quasi"-competitive, though.

mercaptovizadeh said:
Well, other reputable southern schools would be Vanderbilt, Emory, UAlabama Birmingham, UVA, Wake, and UNC. Midwest is kind of a fuzzy concept, but it could include Pritzker, Northwestern, Carver, Mayo, UMinnesota, UMich, UCincinnati, Case, and Washington. None of these schools are "quasi"-competitive, though.

Yeah, I've been looking at Vandy... I just heard that they look down upon fellow in-staters like myself. I've applied to Mayo and WashU... might look into Northwestern too...

Members don't see this ad :)
WhatUpDoc! said:

yeah, I decided not to apply to Duke. In all honesty, I just kind of dropped their name in the bucket when I did my AMCAS without reading up on their program, unlike what I did at most places. Their secondary is ridiculously long and in my opinion, is such to discourage you from applying. They want to see who really wants to go to Duke. That might not be such a bad idea... more power to them.

I also figured the 1+ week it would take for me to happy with my duke essays would probably be better spent prepping for interviews.

WhatUpDoc! said:

this post requires cliff notes

Apply to Duke. Yes, the secondary is long, and yes, it takes some time but to be honest, it is all so worth it if you end up here...

I couldnt imagine being anywhere else and I strongly encourage you to apply. Just be honest in your answers and write clearly and coherently such that you can get your ideas across. They are not looking for masterful prose, but rather they want to see that you can communicate what you think effectively.

Take a look at the Duke curriculum... it is by far the most flexible curriculum I came across and fits like a glove for just about everyone i know here. I highly recommend it. If you have any questions, drop me a PM.

In the time it took you to post and read the replys you could have just went and done the secondary.