Someone help...EMT question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thadarknyte

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent alumni of Penn State. I graduated in December 2005 with a degree in the life sciences. I plan on pursue a career in medicine (as I am taking the MCAT in april). However, I am currently taking a year and a half off and was interested in getting involved with the EMT services available.

I was wondering if someone can help me out by telling me where I could get started in something like this. Who can I talk to? What do I need to do to become eligible? I would like to do this in the New York (Long Island) area. If there is anyway you can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also, what are your opinions as to whether I should do this or not? I feel like this would be a great opportunity for me to be involved with this field from a different angle? What do you guys think? Do you think this would be beneficial to me? (I am looking to be paid for this, instead of as a volunteer)

Members don't see this ad.

thadarknyte said:
I am a recent alumni of Penn State. I graduated in December 2005 with a degree in the life sciences. I plan on pursue a career in medicine (as I am taking the MCAT in april). However, I am currently taking a year and a half off and was interested in getting involved with the EMT services available.

I was wondering if someone can help me out by telling me where I could get started in something like this. Who can I talk to? What do I need to do to become eligible? I would like to do this in the New York (Long Island) area. If there is anyway you can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also, what are your opinions as to whether I should do this or not? I feel like this would be a great opportunity for me to be involved with this field from a different angle? What do you guys think? Do you think this would be beneficial to me? (I am looking to be paid for this, instead of as a volunteer)

This post might get moved to the Pre-Hospital Forum where you can get some better advice, but for the time being I'll try to share a little bit of what I know.

If you can, try finding a fire/rescue group or perhaps an EMS group.

In our part of the country, we call reffer to them as "squads"

At a volunteer EMS squad you'll be an aid for a little while until there's a seasonal county program that trains EMT-Bs. In the EMS squad I work with, the education is paid for by the government! Free education!

The chief or secratary of each squad will be able to help you out. With a few years experience as an EMT-B, you can go on to become a paramedic.

Paramedics are like the mobile intensive care units, sometimes called advance life support. Definantly interesting.

Stop by your local fire company or an EMS company for more information.

Does pre-hospital work help when applying to medical school? Some argue that it doesn't, but I felt it helped me when I applied.

Hey,

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm taking a year off after college to apply for med schools, and I became an EMT. There are three levels of EMT... Basic, Intermediate, Paramedic. More or less, intermediate (at least in my region) is becoming obsolete because you can now take classes to go from Basic straight to Paramedic. What you're going to need to do is take the class first and foremost. Look around at community colleges or call up ur local ambulance or fire service and ask them who offers the EMT-Basic class. The EMT-Basic class is approximately a total of 110 hours, with 12 hours of ER clincial time and 12 hour ambulance clincial time on top of that (it may vary slighty from region to region, but more or less its somewhere around that for you). After the class, you have to take the national registry exam to get ur license. After this, you're good to go. To be a paramedic, you have to be working as a Basic for at least 6 months, and then you have to be sponsored by a fire or ambulance service to to enter paramedic class (to ensure you have a place to do the 400 some hours of ambulance clinicals for this next level) Total, it takes people about an additional 11-12 months to do the 800 hours of classroom and clinicals to become a Paramedic. The Paramedic is the extension of the ER doc in the field. They can push meds, do IV's, decompress tension pnuemos, more advanced intubation techniques, etc.

I chose to work in the hospital ER for a few reasons... mainly patient exposure. I'm an ER Tech... but basically i'm filling a CNA position even though i'm an EMT. I don't get to do all of the things i would do if i were to be in the field, like intubation and such... but I get to see learn and expierence a lot in the ED. The docs and nurses all know i'm interested in medicine so they'll make sure to explain things and show me anything interesting i can learn from.

Pay is dismal for an EMT-B... you'll learn quickly no one does EMS for the sake of money, you'll never become rich. You have to do it because you like it. And just like any job out there, working out in the field on an ambulance is not for everyone. You can find yourself in some high tense, dangerous situations. You have no control over the environment you're in, like when you're in the hospital. It is not uncommon of to have EMT's getting shot at or assaulted. A couple of the EMT's i know here in my town of 40,000 carry bulletproof vests because they've had close run ins.

Whether it helps or not getting into med school... who knows... its debateable... its just like does research (unless you end up on some real groundbreaking publication) really help you? I've heard both ways. But it can't hurt. And more importantly, the experience will help you. I definitely feel like i've learned a lot and I won't be so clumsy when i'm a 3rd year med student. Also, for what its worth, i heard nurses respect you more when ur a med student and even a doc if they know u started out at the bottom and worked your way up.

I think its a great job. Very rewarding in non-monetary ways. Go for it... enjoy yourself and learn as much as you can!

Members don't see this ad :)
A good place to start is by googling [you county's name] EMS. For example, being from Southern California, I would Google Orange County EMS. Here is Nassau County's EMS site: http://www.nassauems.com/training.html

Its a little tedious in my area, but I'm sure its simular in most areas.

Step 1: Complete EMT class (anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months, $120-$500+ depending on the program)

Step 2: National Registery exam (about $60) or local test.

3-4 can be in any order

Step 3: Local cert (basically just give them the money and copys of random things, $40ish plus Livescan background test (about $50))

Step 4: Ambulance Drivers Certificate (about $10, 15 question multiple choice test. No driving part. Needs both a Department of Transportation physical card(called a DOT card) and a seperate live scan backgroup test).

I had to spend about $200-300 past finishing the class to be able to even apply to an ambulance company, but it was worth it.

The enviroment for the EMT-B varies by location, so don't really spit at the IFTs. In my area an EMT-P (who is with the fire department. We don't have private service paramedics) responds to all 911 calls. Most cities contract out to a private service to provide an ambulance and a pair of basics to do the actual transport, but some communities do run their own ambulances. As a basic running 911 there is a fair debate on how much you will actually do and get to decide. A majority of the time the paramedics are on scene before the ambulance shows up.

On the other hand, there are the IFTs. Dialysis calls are the order of the day, unfortunately, but IFTs also get "emergency" calls out of nursing homes. "Emergency" calls can range anywhere from an elevated BUN level (had 1 over the weekend, actually) to respiratory failure with hypotension (worse patient I ever had had a BP of 40, systolic. full code). 99.9% of these calls come out of "Skilled" Nursing Facilities (SNFs) where the patient is normally extremely sick (i.e. CHF, cardiac problems, COPD, etc) with a large number of DNRs. You will be first on scene for these calls and will have to make decisions (Does this patient need ALS? If so, which is the fastest way to get ALS, transport BLS to closest hospital or call paramedics?) The nursing staff is normally of no help in getting information. You also get psych transfers that can be interesting and entertaining at times. Private IFT EMTs generally get paid better too.

Thanks a lot for your responses! They have definately helped me. I really want to do this for the experience, rather than the money, because I doubt I would be able to find a high paying job in the year that I am available. I'd probably end up working at Old Navy making minimum wage!! haha.

I am studying for the MCAT right now, and then after april, i will find out where i can take this class and get right to it. Hopefully ill have enough time to accomplish this?

1 more question, is it hard to get a job as an EMT? Like I understand you have to take the class, and pass the certifications, etc, but once all that is done, is it difficult to actually land the job??

thadarknyte said:
Thanks a lot for your responses! They have definately helped me. I really want to do this for the experience, rather than the money, because I doubt I would be able to find a high paying job in the year that I am available. I'd probably end up working at Old Navy making minimum wage!! haha.

I am studying for the MCAT right now, and then after april, i will find out where i can take this class and get right to it. Hopefully ill have enough time to accomplish this?

1 more question, is it hard to get a job as an EMT? Like I understand you have to take the class, and pass the certifications, etc, but once all that is done, is it difficult to actually land the job??

I'd say it can be hard to find a *good* job as an EMT.

Most EMT's will start out between $6-$10 / hr.

It all depends on where you are located. Here is my advice:

#1 - get your National Registry EMT-B

#2 - decide where/what city you want to work. Depending on where you decide to work, it may be very easy to find a job or impossible. For example, if you are in a place with a "fire based ems" they staff all their units with firefighters ... which is bad for you because getting a fire job is time consuming and difficult.

As an EMT there is frequently a lot of competition for jobs, whereas paramedics have much easier time. Some places only hire paramedics.

There are a couple of national companies that usually hire EMT-B's and are almost everwhere, but they may not do 911 response everywhere. Some companies only do interfacility transfers and no 911, some do only 911, some do a mix.

http://www.amr.net/

http://www.ruralmetro.com/

Another option is you may check into being a hospital ER "tech", it can be a good job and pays decent. You may or may not have to be EMT to do it where you are.

-vio

thadarknyte said:

I loved being an EMT (and a paramedic) but, as a former paramedic instructor, Adcom member, and now EM resident, I can tell you it won't help you get in...

{insert wavy lines fadeout here}

I was a paramedic instructor at a medical center directly affiliated with a medical school. As such, I was asked to teach the third year students "ward skills", e.g., how to defibrillate, start IVs, etc. I would have done so happily, except I had recieved a rejection letter (before interview) the day before! Yep, I can teach there - just can't go there! And not even a courtesy interview...

Even better - the next year when I was teaching an EMT-B course at another facility, I gave my usual talk on "not using an EMT cert. as a tool to get into medical school as I've been a paramedic for years and can't get in", and I had two students who were in the post-bac program at the school that rejected me. They said "that's nothing, one of our teachers told us about a paramedic who got asked to teach ward skills to our M3 class the day after he got a rejection letter from our school. (The teacher) told us that just goes to show how ridiculous the admissions process is..." I wish I had a camera when I confirmed the story firsthand - their faces were classic!

Apparently, word of my story got around. I really would have loved to be a fly on the wall at that adcom meeting.

{insert wavy lines fadeout here}

- H

FoughtFyr said:
I loved being an EMT (and a paramedic) but, as a former paramedic instructor, Adcom member, and now EM resident, I can tell you it won't help you get in...

I've said this in other threads, and it is my opinion because others disagree:

You should not do EMS to try and get into med school.

It is good to hear an adcom member echo this.

It didn't sound like thedarknyte was trying to use EMT as anything other then a fun job while waiting to get into med school and also it doesn't sound like he would be at risk of doing worse in classes or MCAT because he is smartly putting it off until after he has completed pre-reqs.

Darknyte, to be honest, it can be more fun to volunteer EMS then to be paid. Once you start getting a paycheck it can still be fun, but ugh ... there are parts that are definitely not fun ... mandatory training, OHSA. Starting as a volunteer is a good way to find out about paid opportunities as well.

I can think of more fun jobs to burn the year and a half... bartender in Cayman Islands comes to mind.

I'm MSI and former paramedic.

viostorm said:
I've said this in other threads, and it is my opinion because others disagree:

You should not do EMS to try and get into med school.

It is good to hear an adcom member echo this.

It didn't sound like thedarknyte was trying to use EMT as anything other then a fun job while waiting to get into med school and also it doesn't sound like he would be at risk of doing worse in classes or MCAT because he is smartly putting it off until after he has completed pre-reqs.

Darknyte, to be honest, it can be more fun to volunteer EMS then to be paid. Once you start getting a paycheck it can still be fun, but ugh ... there are parts that are definitely not fun ... mandatory training, OHSA. Starting as a volunteer is a good way to find out about paid opportunities as well.

I can think of more fun jobs to burn the year and a half... bartender in Cayman Islands comes to mind.

I'm MSI and former paramedic.

I completely disagree with this. EMS experience is invaluable. There is no reason why this person should not get EMS experience. I always recieved higher grades while I was doing my EMS training, so that is not an excuse.

viostorm said:

Yea, to me, becoming an EMT is more of a fun job than using it has a means to get into medical school (im leaving my sexy good looks for that!! haha). Although I am disheartened because I dont know if I would be able to support myself with $6-10 dollar an hour salary. I might just trying to find a temp job and do EMT as a volunteer like suggested. I only regret not taking this class while I was still an undergrad :( I will definately look into it and atleast get CPR training :rolleyes:

What does being an ER TECH involve? What is it? How do you become one?

My plan after taking the mcats and doing great on them is to go all out and go backpacking through europe for like 2-3 weeks. AND THEN i would like to start a job until I hopefully get accepted to medical school somewhere and start in Fall '07. My only problem is how to get a job knoiwing that I will only be working for like a year? Who will hire me? I dont want to work for Old Navy or the supermarket, I want a fun meaningful job...any ideas?

Wow, its amazing how different our EMS experiences are. Someone mentioned EMT-B programs that last only 2 weeks? I dont understand how that is even possible! ...And are there EMT-Bs out there who are actually accepting only $6.00 an hour? Unbelievable.

My experience has been a little different. I took my EMT-B course while doing my undergraduate- it was a 1 semester course, 3 lectures a week 4 hours each and an occasional 8 hour Saturday lab session. I work in Hartford CT now, and with 3 years experience I get paid just shy of $15 an hour (newbies start off at about $12). Not great, but definitely not $6 an hour. I'm currently in Paramedic class (EMT-P), which is a full year course taking up well over 1000 hours not including clinical and ride time. My current schedule is 1 hour A+P twice a week, 3 hours lecture twice a week, and a 6 hour lab every Saturday. Its a lot of work.

I am also planning on applying to medical school. I'm working on my post-back pre-req stuff right now as well, and while I dont expect my EMS experience to "get me into med school," I'm sure that it will have some sort of positive effect. At least I can say that I've had some (fairly extensive) experience with medicine, and that my decision to apply to med school was a knowledgeable one. I agree that EMS is certainly not a golden ticket into med school (far from it), but I dont see why this kind of medical experience and dedication shouldnt at least count as a plus. As far I see it- adcoms look at it this way: MCAT, then GPA and extras afterwards. If you get past the first 2 hurdles, I think EMS can only help.

thadarknyte said:
Yea, to me, becoming an EMT is more of a fun job than using it has a means to get into medical school (im leaving my sexy good looks for that!! haha). Although I am disheartened because I dont know if I would be able to support myself with $6-10 dollar an hour salary. I might just trying to find a temp job and do EMT as a volunteer like suggested. I only regret not taking this class while I was still an undergrad :( I will definately look into it and atleast get CPR training :rolleyes:

What does being an ER TECH involve? What is it? How do you become one?

My plan after taking the mcats and doing great on them is to go all out and go backpacking through europe for like 2-3 weeks. AND THEN i would like to start a job until I hopefully get accepted to medical school somewhere and start in Fall '07. My only problem is how to get a job knoiwing that I will only be working for like a year? Who will hire me? I dont want to work for Old Navy or the supermarket, I want a fun meaningful job...any ideas?

1. Become an EMT
2. Apply--this job is HIGHLY competitive (it is much easier to get a job in EMS)

ER Tech jobs are also a completely different experience. I personally wouldnt want to do it, because from what I have seen they are pretty much the workhorse b!tches of the ED. You take vitals, get the patients in their jammies, move beds around, help with minor tasks etc etc. Maybe other hospitals do it differently, but from what I have seen in my area, ER techs are NOT really health care providers. The job is safer, with a more consistent environment and you are surrounded by docs and nurses instead of other EMSers, but the medicine and experience is much much reduced, imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
I completely disagree with this. EMS experience is invaluable. There is no reason why this person should not get EMS experience. I always recieved higher grades while I was doing my EMS training, so that is not an excuse.

Sorry that you disagree but I think the point is that few (if any) adcoms will give EMS providers preference. So, if the ONLY reason for taking EMS training to to buff your CV for medical school admit - don't do it. If you want a great experience that will educate you on a wide variety of patient care issues and in my opinion make you a better doctor (eventually) then take the training by all means. I guess the difference is in the motivation...

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Sorry that you disagree but I think the point is that few (if any) adcoms will give EMS providers preference. So, if the ONLY reason for taking EMS training to to buff your CV for medical school admit - don't do it. If you want a great experience that will educate you on a wide variety of patient care issues and in my opinion make you a better doctor (eventually) then take the training by all means. I guess the difference is in the motivation...

- H

I was asked to discuss my EMS experience in all 4 medical school interviews that I completed.

But yes, it should be done for the experience--not the resume, although that issue is really irrelevant (the real reasoning is only in the mind of the person doing it.)

OSUdoc08 said:
I was asked to discuss my EMS experience in all 4 medical school interviews that I completed.

As was I, but I didn't get in initially, despite 8 years of FF/EMT-P. When later on an Adcom no preference was given to EMS professionals over that given to anyone with any other job. When I asked "why?", I was told, essentially, that "anyone" could do EMS (they cited local volunteer ALS EMS squads as evidence) and that there was no academic rigor to EMS programs (again, citing a lack of collegiate pre-reqs). Additionally, several members felt that 'medics were "too cocky to train" and others felt that "most applicants with an EMT certificate just got (the cert) to try and get in here". In short, no real love for the EMS folks. Since then I've talked to other residents who served on Adcoms at their medical schools, I've yet to find one that "pref"ed EMS providers.

I've got to believe (again, from my experience) that if your personal statement or application discussed your summer job making candy on Mackinac Island that would have been discussed in all of the medical school interviews you completed. EMS was most certainly a big part of your application, so what else should have been discussed?

Look, I am not saying that EMS experience isn't useful to a medical education. It is - very. What I am saying is that if the OP, or anyone else, is taking an EMS course solely to improve their CV, it won't meet that goal any better than would any other job.

- H

My experience has been a little different. I took my EMT-B course while doing my undergraduate- it was a 1 semester course, 3 lectures a week 4 hours each and an occasional 8 hour Saturday lab session. I work in Hartford CT now, and with 3 years experience I get paid just shy of $15 an hour (newbies start off at about $12). Not great, but definitely not $6 an hour. I'm currently in Paramedic class (EMT-P), which is a full year course taking up well over 1000 hours not including clinical and ride time. My current schedule is 1 hour A+P twice a week, 3 hours lecture twice a week, and a 6 hour lab every Saturday. Its a lot of work.

A private organization near my school provides basically a crash course so that people can get their certs over winter/spring break. The course costs around $500. The EMT course I took was a local ROP program that had about 5 hours/wk for 3-4 months (I guess its a semester, my college is on the quarter system...).

New EMTs start at $12 where you are? :eek: My company is one of the higest paying out here (IFTs only) at $9/hr (12 hour shifts with time and a half starting after 8, double after 12). One of the local 911 companies start their basics out at min. wage ($6.75 here).

This question of "should i do the EMT thing" comes up a lot. I was in EMS for 5 years and an NREMT-P for 3 yrs before deciding on med school. Now, as an M3 and looking into EM residencies, all i have concluded is that i was waaaay more jaded than any of my classmates but kind of knew what I wanted to go into earlier than most of them. I don't think it had one thing to do with getting in-as confirmed by FF.
Anyway, do it if you would like to explore the field. it can be a lot of fun, it can be a lot of BS, it can be dangerous, and it is killer on the back (Southerners like to EAT!!!). My advice would be to go some place rural where you get to deviate from protocol a bit more than in a city. you also are responsible for the patient for more than 3 minutes at a time. but good luck in you choice!
streetdoc

fiznat said:
ER Tech jobs are also a completely different experience. I personally wouldnt want to do it, because from what I have seen they are pretty much the workhorse b!tches of the ED. You take vitals, get the patients in their jammies, move beds around, help with minor tasks etc etc. Maybe other hospitals do it differently, but from what I have seen in my area, ER techs are NOT really health care providers. The job is safer, with a more consistent environment and you are surrounded by docs and nurses instead of other EMSers, but the medicine and experience is much much reduced, imo.

What fiznat says is true, although in Richmond at VCU I have a friend who starts EJ's and intubates as a tech (he is also paramedic)... or so he tells me.

Only good thing about a tech job is it will get you in the hospital meeting people, seeing what different physicians do, what different personalities there are and perhaps give you an idea of what type of physician you may want to be. Also you can see the role of nurses, x-ray techs, PA's, housekeeping, everything ...

I think a tech is probably better experience for med school because likely you will be working in the hospital or clinic as a physician ... not on the street. Many college students shadow or "candystripe" for free, basically doing less then a tech and getting paid nothing.

As far as clinical decision making skills, EMT's do not really have much authority ... they either put oxygen on or not, backboard patient or not and beyond that it is all drive fast. (before people jump me i will mention some places allow EMT's to give basic meds) You really are not gonig to be donig that much more in the field.

Also, as far as being around EMS'ers ... I love them to death, but having done EMS in both VA and TX, it is always a very "odd" social scene. The EMS lifestyle is rough on both mental health and physical health (back injuries, poor diet). In contrast hospital has a ton of people and a very active social scene ... which can have its own elements of dysfunction as well.

In texas here the hospital I am with does not require you to be EMT to be a tech, if you want to pursue it I would go to your local hospital HR department and say "Do you have any job openings for ER tech? What are requirements?" They also have techs for ICU's as well.

Depending how desperate and how rich EMS volunteer agencies are they may pay for your EMT course. Just call them.

The length of programs and pay seems to vary a lot in different states. Here in VA, paramedic class is 2 years (Associate's degree), unless you take a "zero-to-hero" program, in which you go from a B to a P in about eight weeks. Intermediate is only one year, though employers seem to disfavor this (at least, whoever the idiots that think up the pay scale do). In my region, there is virtually no difference in protocol between an Intermediate and a Paramedic (I's have to call the hospital for morphine, valium, and adenosine, while medics can give if indicated); yet, there is a vast difference in pay. When I became ALS, I got an $0.89/hr raise over my pay as a basic. If I get my medic, I'll get another $5/hr. Which is why other I's and cardiacs (Virginia's version of the Intermediate, before accepting the national registry standard) sometimes call ourselves "half-price medics." The extra year seems to be all pathophysiology, as no additional skills are taught.

As for ER techs, I have several friends who have gone this route (most while in nursing school, or in medic class). At all the hospitals in my area, you have to be ALS (ST/E, CT/I, or P) to be an ER tech (techs on the floor just require either EMT-B or CNA certification). The ER techs take vitals, clean and move pts, start IVs, etc. On the floor, it was mostly take vitals and wipe asses (I used to be a tech on a med-surg floor).

I really don't think having EMS experience helped me get in to med school, but it seems to help in class. As with others who have previous medical experiences, you'll be more adept than most of your fellow students at taking histories, doing a basic assessment, have some of the critical clinical thinking, and, if ALS, have a battery of skills that you are already proficient with (IVs, intubation, an idea of what meds to give, etc). I think EMS is a great experience, and loads of fun, and you should definitely try it out if you are interested.

psychbender said:
The length of programs and pay seems to vary a lot in different states. Here in VA, paramedic class is 2 years (Associate's degree), unless you take a "zero-to-hero" program, in which you go from a B to a P in about eight weeks. Intermediate is only one year, though employers seem to disfavor this (at least, whoever the idiots that think up the pay scale do). In my region, there is virtually no difference in protocol between an Intermediate and a Paramedic (I's have to call the hospital for morphine, valium, and adenosine, while medics can give if indicated); yet, there is a vast difference in pay. When I became ALS, I got an $0.89/hr raise over my pay as a basic. If I get my medic, I'll get another $5/hr. Which is why other I's and cardiacs (Virginia's version of the Intermediate, before accepting the national registry standard) sometimes call ourselves "half-price medics." The extra year seems to be all pathophysiology, as no additional skills are taught.

As for ER techs, I have several friends who have gone this route (most while in nursing school, or in medic class). At all the hospitals in my area, you have to be ALS (ST/E, CT/I, or P) to be an ER tech (techs on the floor just require either EMT-B or CNA certification). The ER techs take vitals, clean and move pts, start IVs, etc. On the floor, it was mostly take vitals and wipe asses (I used to be a tech on a med-surg floor).

I really don't think having EMS experience helped me get in to med school, but it seems to help in class. As with others who have previous medical experiences, you'll be more adept than most of your fellow students at taking histories, doing a basic assessment, have some of the critical clinical thinking, and, if ALS, have a battery of skills that you are already proficient with (IVs, intubation, an idea of what meds to give, etc). I think EMS is a great experience, and loads of fun, and you should definitely try it out if you are interested.

In Texas, EMT-B is 1 semester, EMT-I is a 2nd semester, and EMT-P is 2 more semesters.

I did the rapid EMT-B for non-college credit in 1 month, however.

Where I live, the starting level for EMS is Primary Care Paramedic, which is probably somewhat similar to the EMT-I. Their starting wage is $22/hour ($19/hour USD). The next level is an ALS position, and they make $34/hour ($29 USD/hour).

Most places I've been in California the pay's been between $8-$10/hour.

Getting field expereince is the difference between someone who knows they want to devote their life to medicine and someone who gets to their internship and can't take it or doesn't enjoy it.
If you're in a volunteer area, you can talk to those departments or go to a community college.