Sonoscape a6 Ultrasound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bucknut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this machine? I am starting my own practice and this seems to be one that the vendors are saying that a lot of pain docs are using. Any feedback on its image quality and reliability would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have experience with this machine? I am starting my own practice and this seems to be one that the vendors are saying that a lot of pain docs are using. Any feedback on its image quality and reliability would be appreciated.
If that is the Konica-Minolta unit it is very nice. Wish I had that rather than the Terason that I am not happy with

If that is the Konica-Minolta unit it is very nice. Wish I had that rather than the Terason that I am not happy with

the KM machine is called HS1.

to the OP... you should look into getting a KM machine. FANTASTIC US machine.

Members don't see this ad :)
oreosandsake, what is the general price range for the KM HS1?

about 35K with 2 probes. the high frequency probe has a REAL range of 4-18 MHz. made by konica minolta which is a Japanese camera company (as opposed to mindray made in china) and has 5 year warranty (as opposed to most others 2-3 years)

I use a sonosite M turbo at my work for both guidance and diagnostic purposes. the hospital paid $40k for it. it's definitely not as nice as the KM machine, and the probes are fat, heavy, and clumsier.

I've used all the terason machines, GE (new and older prologic E), mindray z6, M5, M7, some of the philips devices, etc. my friend who is a incredibly experienced MSK radiologist said that the HS1 is as good as the device she had the army buy her ($90k, but with 5-6 probes)

What is the reimbursement now...around $32 for a medicare patient? I suppose it would pay for itself after 1200 injections....

Reactions: 3 users
Sonoscape is a junk Chinese machine that is being sold for around 5k here. It is for billing purposes only and not usable for any therapeutic or diagnostic procedures. Some pain docs use it just to stick on the patient and save a picture to bill for U/S guidance. You cant actually make anything out.

I disagree. I went through a couple rounds of b/w ultrasounds and low-end color doppler. I ended up with sonoscape S8 expert, fantastic image quality and even needle visualization package built-in. It has all the new features of u/s technology on the high end machine at 30K above, but cost at the half. The unit is beautifully designed from industrial design perspective.

Don't get S2, or even S8. S2 is a piece of junk, I'd say. S8 looks pretty much the same as S8 expert, but S8 expert has way better image quality.

I think it'd be un-wise to spend anything over 20K on an u/s unit, either brand-new or used.

I, thankfully, paid off my U/s machine before the waste of life bureaucrats cut "reimbursement." So it makes sense for me to use it. Those of you contemplating buying one, how are you justifying the cost?

Reactions: 1 user
I, thankfully, paid off my U/s machine before the waste of life bureaucrats cut "reimbursement." So it makes sense for me to use it. Those of you contemplating buying one, how are you justifying the cost?

It is a necessity if the practice is morphing into a cash based model. Need as many "special skills" as possible, especially if the practice is to become mostly opioid free.

It is a necessity if the practice is morphing into a cash based model. Need as many "special skills" as possible, especially if the practice is to become mostly opioid free.

Are you succeeding with this model? how is success being defined?

Are you succeeding with this model? how is success being defined?

Still too early to tell, but so far, so good. My practice is more, slowly transforming than it is switching models. Success will probably be defined initially as no significant drop in income, but a slow steady decrease in # of patients in the practice for long-term medication management.

Still too early to tell, but so far, so good. My practice is more, slowly transforming than it is switching models. Success will probably be defined initially as no significant drop in income, but a slow steady decrease in # of patients in the practice for long-term medication management.

Sweet...that sounds pretty wonderful