Specialty pros and cons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymouskoala28

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if there’s already a thread on this. I couldn’t find one at least. Anyone, resident or attending, can you tell me the pros and cons of your specialty? Bluntness is great. If you have time, despite the cons why did you choose the specialty anyways? Hopefully this can help other medical students with their specialty choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You’ll be able to find a wealth of specialty specific information if you search within the physician forums. Check the stickies threads, use search fx, or simply scroll through. That’ll be more helpful for you!

There are also AMA threads in both the Premed and Med school forums that you can check out!

Edit to add:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
In addition, this is going to be incredibly subjective. The cons of my specialty are undoubtedly pros in other peoples' minds. The pros of say ortho are significantly worse than my specialty, however to an orthopod, much better. Agree with above that you need to figure out what is important to you and look at the threads above.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely recommend checking out the r/medicalschool "why should you do _____ specialty" posts. They're write ups by residents, fellows, and attendings. Doesn't get better than that.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks everyone for their input. These have been very useful to me!!