Spelling errors on CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nnnnnn1994

Reaction score
I just submitted my application yesterday and realized that there were spelling errors on my cv. Instead of “practice” I had “pracy” don’t know how this happened and I didn’t catch it. Will this costs me all the interviews? What should I do now?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes

Learn from it and don't do it again

Reactions: 1 user
If this was for residency many programs have hundreds of applications to look at. Some places will notice, and at least mentally take note, so I would be mindful to avoid these types of errors in the future as it comes across as careless. But some may not notice depending on how many/how egregious the errors. When I was reviewing applications I was unable to review them all with a fine toothed comb based on the sheer number. So it may affect your chances at some of the programs but I would doubt they will all completely disregard your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Poor grammar on a LOI would bother me more. If you have a strong application this likely won't be a deal breaker unless some programs deduct points for spelling/grammar during screening

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the above it would depend more on how many errors and if they notice or have it as part of their grading scale.
What actually concerns me more is that if you let multiple spelling errors through, did the rest of your CV/grammar/organization also end up not as good as if you were to have gotten a couple more people to review/spellcheck it? I find these things tend to correlate.

A single typo may not be a deal breaker, but anything more than that - definitely send that candidate to the circular file. To err is human, to fail to check for errors is negligent, which in the pharmacy world may equate to criminal should a patient come to harm as a result.