Spine MRI without/with contrast denials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knoxdoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently moved out East and have been ordering post-op spine MRIs without and with contrast (as I always have). I am getting pushback from insurance companies and radiologists about this - they want a plain MRI or a different Dx code. First of all, am I missing something regarding ordering post-op spine MRIs with contrast? I though we wanted to discern scar tissue from HNP. Did something change and I don't know about it? Secondly, if it is still recommended to order with contrast, what codes would work? Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

Post op MRIs I usually do contrast.

I'm getting denials across the board for everything right now. I'm not keeping track of it of course, but it SEEMS I'm getting more denials than ever right now.

Reactions: 1 users
May just need a line in your note saying it's medically necessary to discern reherniation v scar tissue

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i stopped getting the post op MRIs with contrast about 5 years ago. i guess if you are looking for the scar tissue for potential SCS, but it doesnt seem to add that much, IMHO. most of the surgeons dont order them with contrast. plus you have to worry about the kidneys.

that being said, i havent noticed a difference in coverage with MRIs if you order contrast or not

i stopped getting the post op MRIs with contrast about 5 years ago. i guess if you are looking for the scar tissue for potential SCS, but it doesnt seem to add that much, IMHO. most of the surgeons dont order them with contrast. plus you have to worry about the kidneys.

that being said, i havent noticed a difference in coverage with MRIs if you order contrast or not

Agree with this approach.

I have definitely found contrast MRIs harder to authorize.

I now order 99% of my spine MRI without contrast. I only order MRIs with contrast if I have specific concern for malignancy or infection.

Reactions: 4 users
Just start ordering CT myelograms on everyone 😂

Yes, I order ct myelograms on everyone and make sure they book the myelo on my schedule so I can get those units.

J/k. 😂

• Haha
Contrast really not that helpful. How will it change your plans?
Changes everything Steve. Surgery for recurrent disc vs stim for intractable epidural fibrosis.

Reactions: 1 users
Changes everything Steve. Surgery for recurrent disc vs stim for intractable epidural fibrosis.
Recurrent disc doesn’t mean surgery.

And:

Routine use of contrast-enhanced examinations in patients who have had prior lumbar surgery probably adds little diagnostic value and may be confusing.

Reactions: 3 users
Recurrent disc doesn’t mean surgery.

And:

Routine use of contrast-enhanced examinations in patients who have had prior lumbar surgery probably adds little diagnostic value and may be confusing.

The radiology guidelines suggest doing it in the first 6 months but after that probably not as useful in that 2 year+ range.