Spouse in graduate school, applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idemandeuphoria

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it possible for him to transfer his grad school credits to another city with a med school you actually want to attend?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm curious as to how someone can so accurately gauge their performance on the MCAT in such a way as to purposely hit that sweet spot of getting a lower score than hypothetically possible but still not too low.

Like @gonnif already said above, all you need to do is convey your interest in the school. Schools that yield protect do it when it is blatantly obvious that they're your backup's backup.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just thinking about this after taking the MCAT. I was not far off from my average practice exams through Kaplan. There has to be a standard deviation now that is pretty accurate . Score xxx on Kaplan practice and the standard deviation is +/- 7 points.

I'm curious as to how someone can so accurately gauge their performance on the MCAT in such a way as to purposely hit that sweet spot of getting a lower score than hypothetically possible but still not too low.

Like @gonnif already said above, all you need to do is convey your interest in the school. Schools that yield protect do it when it is blatantly obvious that they're your backup's backup.

I was just thinking about this after taking the MCAT. I was not far off from my average practice exams through Kaplan. There has to be a standard deviation now that is pretty accurate . Score xxx on Kaplan practice and the standard deviation is +/- 7 points.
N=1 but my actual score was over 15 points away from all my practice scores. As was the case for most people who took the test when I did and I cant imagine Kaplan got much more accurate. They had years of experience with the old test and even those weren't very reliable.

Plus on the new MCAT your score depends a lot on the topic for the limited passages. Only way I can see that one can hypothetically change their score is by maxing out the first 3 sections (easier said than done) then bombing the psych/soc section to a pretty specific degree. There's also a pretty small margin of error.
The whole idea is just ridiculous for so many reasons.

Sandbagging the MCAT? Come on now...you can't really think that's a good idea.

Lol.... So you say, it was the case for most people to score higher than their practice exams. Creating a mean would be extremely easy. The data points is solid data, practice test score vs actual test score. Very basic stuff. It would fall within a specific range.
N=1 but my actual score was over 15 points away from all my practice scores. As was the case for most people who took the test when I did and I cant imagine Kaplan got much more accurate. They had years of experience with the old test and even those weren't very reliable.

Plus on the new MCAT your score depends a lot on the topic for the limited passages. Only way I can see that one can hypothetically change their score is by maxing out the first 3 sections (easier said than done) then bombing the psych/soc section to a pretty specific degree. There's also a pretty small margin of error.
The whole idea is just ridiculous for so many reasons.

Lol.... So you say, it was the case for most people to score higher than their practice exams. Creating a mean would be extremely easy. The data points is solid data, practice test score vs actual test score. Very basic stuff. It would fall within a specific range.
More people scored higher, but not all of them. Kaplan practice test scores were absolutely useless that first summer of the new MCAT. Not sure if they became better estimates but I doubt it.